Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can they? ive never seen it mentioned that they had any carnal desires
or have any children? but i the gaunts ghost novel First and Only
Gaunts childhood friend says (even though its a lie) that his father was a space marine,Also the breeding would be very beneficial allowing no need for gene seed and reducing vastly the traiing cost = time and even if they couldnt become space marines , they could be really good imperial guardsmen.
so , Why cant they?.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
No they can't. I'll spare you the details but it's a PRATT - search the archives.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
It would depend on the chapter and their method of creating a new marine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Gaunt's friend was lying, SM's can't reproduce at all. They'd probably break the women if they tried.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the chemical stimulation of the geneseed renders them infertile. Plus the Genes they would pass on would be very much 'just human'. the emperor never had plans to make the space marine reproductive organs awesome or indeed proportional ;-)

·
Registered
855 Posts
It is noted in the space marine battle novel Rynn's World that the former Crimson Fist chapter master tested a breeding program with the failed aspirants (the ones that didn't die or were rendered sterile by the implants) and it failed epically.

Although astartes can appreciate the female form visually, I doubt that they would have any urges to act perhaps beyond a desire to protect.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
They have the urges... Atleast the green ones do, although they simply write it off as unworthy lf a marine. Didn't know the implantation process zapped the testies.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sexual urges are something that would probably frowned upon by Astartes. We’re talking about an organization that allows only fifteen minutes of free time for contemplation a day, and there are quite a few chapter masters who consider that a “dangerous distraction” and eliminate it entirely.

I personally go with the theory that marines are infertile due to the various chemicals that would no doubt be pumped into their body during their creation, whether it’s intentional or not I don’t know but I’m certain it’s approved of. And mental indoctrination and therapy would go towards eliminating sexual desire entirely. I don’t think it’s anything major, like castration, because there are hints in background material that Slaaneshi Space Marines have engaged in rape.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
That person in Gaunt's Ghosts may not be lying. His father might have later went on to become a space after fathering the kid. This would make him the son of a space marine. Or his mom got raped by a slaaneshi marine.

On the earlier topic of marines just being too powerful to engage with women then what about male on female space marines.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
.....Um there are no female space marine....unless your talking about a slannesh marine that got a sex change....and technicaly SOB aren't space marines.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Well thats on average. Some get more but yeah.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
.....Um there are no female space marine....unless your talking about a slannesh marine that got a sex change....and technicaly SOB aren't space marines.
WTF are you on about? No one said female SM.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Actually I did and for the record there is nothing to say that female marines do not exist. Here is a guy who if you look round his website will see plenty of female marines. They look good too. Website here

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Yeah... didn't even catch that. My eyes must shy away from stupid. lol NO I kid.. my bad. But anyway baron is right, there cannot be a female SM.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
they dont need to be able to breed so it wasnt needed for them to make sure they could breed

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Space Marines are unable to breed, and that their sexual urges have all but been removed. They're devout killing machines whose purpose in life is to win wars before they begin. Killing, and if need be, dieing in the name of the mankind.

The only way for such an individual to reproduce is to do so before they become a Space Marine, perhaps cloning and maybe through some bazaar happening in the warp. And as far as cannon goes, I'm also fairly sure that there are only male Space Marines. Females serving as serfs, sure. But Marines? Unlikely.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts