Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Was playing a game earlier and had a fleeing unit charged by my opponent, still not being entirely used to 8th, we started off with my unit making a flee reaction, then tried to check if the charge connected. Whilst looking to check what the rules on reforming were after running down fleeing troops with a charge, I couldn't find anywhere where it states that fleeing troops who are charged get to run away further.

In fact, as I read it, if you charge a fleeing unit, you destroy it on the spot where it stands, then the charging unit stops and then get and LD test for a reform.

Is this right or have I missed something vital somewhere? Seems like a massive change from 7th to me that I utterly missed whilst trying to get my head round the new rules.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think you're right on target.

Fleeing troops are pretty much good as dead.
We all have stories of a nearly full unit fleeing from a 1 wound (insert model/ unit) and being destroyed.

The flee rules are very odd. For instance: a whole unit of dwarves (25) who lost 3 people in combat after being charged, should not flee with 23 left in their block. Even IF they did, I'm not sure how they would all be run down if the 3 models that charged them caught them.
It seems that they would take catastrophic losses, but be able to fight back.

maybe even take d6 wounds per rank?

The flee rules as they are are a bit odd.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The unit being run down doesn't just represent a lot of the guys getting killed, it also represents them being separated and fleeing to various points on the table. Once the enemy catches them, the survivors are in little condition to put up an organized resistance.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Hey all,

Was playing a game earlier and had a fleeing unit charged by my opponent, still not being entirely used to 8th, we started off with my unit making a flee reaction, then tried to check if the charge connected. Whilst looking to check what the rules on reforming were after running down fleeing troops with a charge, I couldn't find anywhere where it states that fleeing troops who are charged get to run away further.

In fact, as I read it, if you charge a fleeing unit, you destroy it on the spot where it stands, then the charging unit stops and then get and LD test for a reform.

Is this right or have I missed something vital somewhere? Seems like a massive change from 7th to me that I utterly missed whilst trying to get my head round the new rules.
Check the top of P17. A fleeing unit must declare a flee reaction. A unit that declares a flee reaction will immediately move 2d6in. They aren't just dead in the water :p

Note however, that a fleeing unit will flee again for each and every charge declared against it. This means that an opponent can just declare a couple of near-impossible charges, and make the unit flee off the board.

I hope that sort of answers what you were asking :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts