Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from an argument that occurred on another thread there was intense discussion on whether Lucius the eternal could actually die in a freak accident (For example he tripped and drowned into a puddle) then does he possess someone and become reborn or just die?

I personally wonder whether if a chaos god caused a freak accident (Say nurgle causes Lucius to die from an intense disease) then would the chaos god become possessed and die from Lucius's ability to avoid death?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
lucuis can only be reborm if someone feels satisfaction joy or something from his death as long as no one was glad he died he wouldnt be reborn

·
Registered
31 Posts
so if he is killed by nids or necs he's screwed?

does it have to be his killer feeling joy or anybody near by? for instance what if he was involved in a hit and run with a Land raider or took a basilisk shell to the face?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i think so but im not sure about the second cause im sure slaanesh wouldnt want his champion to die

·
Registered
180 Posts
so if he is killed by nids or necs he's screwed?

does it have to be his killer feeling joy or anybody near by? for instance what if he was involved in a hit and run with a Land raider or took a basilisk shell to the face?
I'm sure the driver of the LandRaider would feel some joy in squishing someone in his threads.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
well Lucius can die in other ways like with given examples, but with Lucius been the chosen champion of Slaanesh i doubt Slaanesh would allow Lucius to remain dead, just as Khorne would bring back Kharn the betrayer
but its possible hes has something like a cats 7 lives, where if he does die, say from been blown up he would use one of the many souls hes captured to revive himself,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is his resurrection ability completely unescapable? I mean, theoretically, if the Emperor killed him and was really happy over it would he turn into Lucius? Or would he be strong enough to deny Lucius his resurrection ability? And to a lesser extent, if someone like Eldrad killed him, or another character known for their epic abilities...

Or how about if Kharn/Typhus/Ahriman killed him? I imagine the chaos gods would have a minor fight over it and either Lucius would die or you'd end up with each god restoring their own favoured in some way... (in my opinion, that is)

·
Registered
39 Posts
a better question. if lucius couldnt come back then he wouldnt be ethernal and slaanesh would be proven wrong and the whole knowing univurse would implode. but thats just me rembling

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If lucius was run over by a land raider or basilisk shell to the face then the land raiders driver or the basilisk's gunner would be posessed by lucius.

In these examples it seems that nids and necs cannot be possessed so if every other race in the galaxy was wiped out then he would not return.

In a more (slightly more anyways) realistic example what would happen if lucius was traveling by himself on a uninhabitable planet that is of no importance to any race and he just happened to fall in a sandpit and die then would he die since no one enters planet they do not know he is dead and cannot be happy about it?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Is his resurrection ability completely unescapable? I mean, theoretically, if the Emperor killed him and was really happy over it would he turn into Lucius? Or would he be strong enough to deny Lucius his resurrection ability? And to a lesser extent, if someone like Eldrad killed him, or another character known for their epic abilities...

Or how about if Kharn/Typhus/Ahriman killed him? I imagine the chaos gods would have a minor fight over it and either Lucius would die or you'd end up with each god restoring their own favoured in some way... (in my opinion, that is)
If someone like the Emperor or Eldrad killed him, then his soul would probably be shredded. Even Slaneesh is going to have a hard time bringing him back from that one.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
There are ways to get around the rule; a necron frying his ass for example. However, slaanesh would simple work around it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
dunno if this has been suggested yet but what if somebody killed Lucius (dosen't mater how) and then they commited suicide? I think we are getting TOO into this topic and making it complicated but it's fun :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
dunno if this has been suggested yet but what if somebody killed Lucius (dosen't mater how) and then they commited suicide? I think we are getting TOO into this topic and making it complicated but it's fun :)
Good point... Slaanesh would probably call hax and just bring back Lucius anyway.

I don't think GW intended for this mechanic to be dissected this much. xD

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
There are several threads already covering this exact topic, so to the OP please search for existing threads before creating new ones.

One thing several of you seem to overlook is the fact that Lucius draws his 'ability' to 'resurrect' from Slaanesh. It is the Dark Prince's power and continued will that Lucius endure that enables Lucius to keep the cycle going. If Slaanesh was in a position where he was unable to revive Lucius (being too weak, or tiring of Lucius) then Lucius would likely just die and his soul consumed by Chaos.

For example, if Lucius tripped and drowned in a puddle (bit of a random example from the OP there!) where no one but himself was responsible, and where no one but himself felt any pang of emotion at his death, then technically, going literally by the 'rule' Lucius would simply die. But in this circumstance Slaanesh would likely have the ability and power to just repossess another Slaaneshi follower with Lucius' soul, so the cycle begins anew.

A better example in my eyes would be (as the above poster brought up) what if Lucius committed suicide? Well, taking into account that the reason Slaanesh starting bringing Lucius back in the first place (following his death at the hands of Lord Commander Cyrius) was because his 'agonising death was an experience of transcendent pleasure' and thus presumably Slaanesh wished it to occur again and again, because it likely pleased and empowered himself. Thus even if Lucius did commit suicide, it would still be an 'experience of transcendent pleasure' and thus Slaanesh would want to bring him back again. Although eventually the fickle Slaanesh will probably tire of Lucius and just let him die and consume his soul...

I imagine it would depend on Slaanesh's current power and rankings within the Great Game. If the Emperor killed him for example, I highly doubt Slaanesh would be in a position to transform the Emperor into Lucius, the Emperor is simply too powerful and it would take so much energy, power and investment that Slaanesh would leave himself extremely vulnerable in the Great Game.

As for if a Champion of another Chaos God killed him (Eg. Kharn, Ahriman or Typhus), I think it largely depends on the Champions worth to their patron compared to Lucius' worth to Slaanesh, and the Champions patron's power and ranking within the Great Game compared to Slaanesh at that point. For example if Slaanesh was the dominant and most powerful Chaos God at the time of Lucius' death to (lets say) Kharn, and Slaanesh valued Lucius more than Khorne did Kharn, then Slaanesh would probably be in a position to revive Lucius at the expense of Kharn. This applies to the other gods and their champions as well in my mind.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If lucius was run over by a land raider or basilisk shell to the face then the land raiders driver or the basilisk's gunner would be posessed by lucius.

In these examples it seems that nids and necs cannot be possessed so if every other race in the galaxy was wiped out then he would not return.

In a more (slightly more anyways) realistic example what would happen if lucius was traveling by himself on a uninhabitable planet that is of no importance to any race and he just happened to fall in a sandpit and die then would he die since no one enters planet they do not know he is dead and cannot be happy about it?
In that case he would possess the Sarlacc...wait..

·
Registered
365 Posts
A better example in my eyes would be (as the above poster brought up) what if Lucius committed suicide? Well, taking into account that the reason Slaanesh starting bringing Lucius back in the first place (following his death at the hands of Lord Commander Cyrius) was because his 'agonising death was an experience of transcendent pleasure' and thus presumably Slaanesh wished it to occur again and again, because it likely pleased and empowered himself. Thus even if Lucius did commit suicide, it would still be an 'experience of transcendent pleasure' and thus Slaanesh would want to bring him back again. Although eventually the fickle Slaanesh will probably tire of Lucius and just let him die and consume his soul...
I want to make a wanker joke out of this, but nothing I get really justifies the unwittingly epic setup.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
what if a Null killed him? like a Culexus Assassins, or a necron Pariah? or heck a guardsmen who did not even know he was a blank?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
im sure a aspiring champion would sacrifice his body to slaanesh to allow lucius to walk another day. there would probably be a reward like 70 virgins. or something along those lines.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts