Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, as I have now finished getting my CSM back into fighting shape, it is time to start a new army. Jump Pack BA looks like a very fun army to play (not to mention cheap to buy) but I'm having trouble putting together a 1500 point list that can deal with both hordes and mech. I feel that by the time I add enough Meltaguns to deal with mech, I can't add enough Flamers to help with hordes.

Also, Landspeeders and Vanguard Veterans fight for the same 3 fast attack spaces, and both look incredibly good for this type of army.

So as I'm not asking you to create a list from scratch, here is what I am roughly looking at (unabashedly stolen from Dallas's list and his suggestions from my previous post).

HQ
Librarian with Jump Pack
-Lance
-Sword

Elites

3x Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack

Troops
10x Assault Squad with Jump Packs (One priest goes here)
-Sergeant
-Bolt pistol
-Power Fist
-2x Meltagun

10xAssault Squad with Jump Packs (One priest goes here)
-Sergeant
-Bolt pistol
-Power Fist
-2x Meltagun

10x Assault Squad with Jump Packs (One priest and librarian go here)
-Sergeant
-Bolt pistol
-Power Weapon
-2x Flamer

Fast Attack

Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs
-2x Melta Bombs
-3x Storm Shield
-Power Fist

Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs
-2x Melta Bombs
-3x Storm Shield
-Power Fist

I have not bought a single model yet, so please feel free to completely rip this apart if needed. Would it make sense to switch a Vanguard squad for a speeder or two with MM/HF? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Haha, well I'm full of love for this :eek:k:

Vanguard over land speeders in BA jump pack armies any day, you have HI & DOA! I can't believe how overlooked these two things are, not to mention the small points break. AV10 being your only armour = dead, very dead, dead without your opponent even breaking a sweat, see those autocannons take down your dedicated anti tank? Yep, I did. See, it's not just that land speeders won't work in this list it's more that VV are crucial; in fact they are the most important unit to this kind of list, if you want proof go ahead & proxy without them, then tell me how many times you wished you had something that could re-roll it's reserve roll then DS in with only a single D6 scatter, then HI assault & destroy/tie up a unit/vehicle, it also keeps the bulk of your force free from tank popping duty or engaging units way back field. Keep them for sure! At 2k you can grab another 5 & an Honour Guard packed with meltas/plasmas (plasma since FNP makes you safe-ish).

2/3 time combat squad the RAS giving you 6 scoring units, melta go after tanks that might have moved, VV hit the stationary things like ordinance or tarpit the things YOU want to charge down. Flamers are probably unnecessary since most of your stuff should be S5 I5 on the charge, however they're good to have, I include them for things like genestealers & fiends, things with higher initiative that you just don't want to charge without softening up.

My only issue is the Librarian not having an HG unit but I see what you're doing by attaching him to the PW/Flamer RAS so that he provides that unit's anti tank/anti MC coverage. Personally I wouldn't do this, that unit can just go hammer objective sitters or get stuck into their troops with FC. I'd attach him to a melta squad of RAS & give him Shield - Yes, S10 is nice & all but you have plenty of powerfists and meltas, the 5++ would be very useful (like when you DS in & pop a Chimera, then out come a unit of plasma veterans - trust me a 5++ is better than no save at all!), but this is just my feelings, you try him out & play it your way :)

Good luck!
Dallas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your advise, I can definitely see now why VV are the superior choice. I forgot how easily killed a speeder is, particularly when most lists are built around killing AV11 transports. My main reason for not taking a HG squad is points, as it is difficult to pack everything into a 1500 point list.

With so many PF, MG, and the two VV squads I can see how this list can do well against many mech forces, but how would something like this fair against tyrannids? Is this kind of list competitive, or just for fun? Either way, I plan to make this list as it will be an interesting contrast to my rhino spam lash/obliterator list.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have one segestion the first 2 squads of tankillers right? then why do you have you libby whice has 2 tank killing physic powers in swarm killing squad?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My main reason for not taking a HG squad is points, as it is difficult to pack everything into a 1500 point list.
Don't forget that the Honor Guard pretty much comes with a Sanguinary Priest.
Dropping one of those guys can pay for almost half of a jump-packing HG with assault weapons.

·
Registered
990 Posts
With so many PF, MG, and the two VV squads I can see how this list can do well against many mech forces, but how would something like this fair against tyrannids? Is this kind of list competitive, or just for fun? Either way, I plan to make this list as it will be an interesting contrast to my rhino spam lash/obliterator list.
I won't lie to you, Nids & Deamons will be hard. But you have 3 SS in the VV so you should pin his MCs in combat, allowing you to charge them with something; I personally like to run with Astorath to give me that 50/50 I get FC even when my Priests are dead & Astorath can go toe to toe with other HQs & MCs etc where as a Librarian or a RAS needs some good rolls (Libby would be ok if it wasn't for shadow in the warp).

It can be done, FC on RAS does wonders if you can get the charge off & don't forget about your pistols! :)

Dallas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts