Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a bike army to change stuff up and I've been playing wolves for some time now
I've looking into white scars and ravenwing and I know both would provide a better bike list but I'm not looking for super competitive just fun, same goes for the axe over fists I just prefer the look of space Vikings with axes lol

If anyone's got experiance with WG bikers I'd love some feed back and advice I just think point for point wolf guard bikers vs swift claws the 2+ WS extra BS, extra attacks (pistol and chainswords) and the available armoury the WG wins hands down.
I'd love to add in some attack bikes but hey you can't have it all.

CoTGW detachment + wyrdstorm brotherhood (1495 points)

3x rune priest ML1, bike, combi melta, axe (wyrdstorm brotherhood)
WGBL, kraken bone sword, pistol, storm shield, bike, fell claws teeth
5 man WG bikers, 3 storm shields, 3 axe, 2 double wolf claws, 2 melta bomb,
6 man WG biker,1storm shield+axe,1combi melta, pistol and chainswords, melta bomb
6 man WG biker,1storm shield+axe,1combi melta, pistol and chainswords, melta bomb
3 landspeeders, multi melta + heavy bolter

The idea is to have 1 squad tooled for CC and put the WGBL in with them for a hard hitting squad then add a rune priest with each other pack (presisnce or living lightning) as well as the new power for wyrdstorm brotherhood, there's 2 combi meltas and 2 axe in each pack with a storm shield to soak up some low ap.
Each pack goes there own way picking targets as I see fit and claiming objectives.
the CC pack heading to where there needed to take out hard targets and the 3 speeders hopefully staying behind a squad each to gain 5+ intervening model cover save so I'm not forced to jink all the time to gain a save.
Melta bombs all round is to gain a power attack in CC
There's not much flyers at 1500 points in my area so I'm not too worried about that
But as an escalation to 1850 I wok add in 1 more land speeder with the same load out as the rest and squadron then in pairs and ad a storm wolf with TL las and TL multi melta

So CC would be appreciated guys am I running he WG bikers wrong? Is there s better way?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Let me start by saying... i don't play much wolves.

However... have you gotten to look at Curse, or the new Wulfen Edition for SW?

You might want to consider the WolfClaw Strike Force. It's their version of the Decurion, the Gladius, the Lion's Blade... The Super-Formation that all armies are getting now.

Here's what you could run:

FireHowlers (Core Choice):

Wolf Lord or WGBL on Bike, kitted out however.
1 unit of WG on bikes.
2-4 units of Swiftclaws
2-4 units of Landspeeders

Assorted other bleh that's totally optional.

If you then add the Wyrdstorm as you had them, you have a Wolf's Claw Strike Force, and everything gets CounterAttack.

If you double up and use two FireHowlers, (one with a Wolf Lord, the other with a WGBL), then everyone in both has Fear and Furious Charge.

Edit: I did see that you said you'd rather use CoTGW for the +1 WS bonus. Which makes sense. I jsut figured that the versatility of the FireHowlers might be nice. Better to get into combat with charge bonuses then have better WS and not be in combat.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really like this list. It is something I've wondered about doing myself, but came to the conclusion that Scars just do bikes better and (as my mind tends to do) wandered down a different route.

Completely agree that Wolf guard on bikes are just superior to the Swiftclaws in pretty much every way. Only things that Swiftclaws have over the Wolf guard are special weapons and rage, but that isn't a big deal at all.

Having said that, I'd be tempted to exchange one unit for two units of Swiftclaws with a multi-melta attack bike. Haven't got access to my book at the moment so can't say whether you'd get a straight swap but think it would be pretty close. Could even stick a rune priest with one or both with prescience. Gives you a little more flexibility and a lot harder to bring down than a unit of land speeders. Don't get me wrong, landspeeders are very useful, but they are pretty much made of tissue paper!

I've been able to try out the Wyrdstorm brotherhood last weekend (was at a tournament so got to trial it over 5 games). Cannot express how much I love that Living storm power. It is beautiful, with high enough strength to glance all but the most heavy armour and to wound most infantry. Ap- is a little sad, but to be perfectly honest I think any ap would have made this ridiculous.

A couple of things I would say about it from personal experience.
Firstly, a large number of warp charges is essential. It is Warp 3, and I found even being able to cast it on 3+ I only got the power off 50% of the time throwing 6 dice at it. If you can squeeze some more life out of your list to either boost some priests to ML2 or get some more priests into the list you would not be disappointed. If you can't (I'd struggle to do so looking at your list, too much tampering and I think it either loses the theme or would encounter too many problems), I'd say don't expect to get many other powers off if you decide to cast it! Prescience is costly to start with, so it might be worth focusing more on low charge powers or just cast force when you near the charge.

Secondly, get the helm of durfast on one of your priests. You will not be disappointed. With re-rolls to hit and ignores cover, you can seriously put the hurt on skimmers and bikers without breaking a sweat. Goodbye re-rollable 2+ cover saves. The ravenwing player I faced nearly had a heart attack when I rolled 17 wounds and he couldn't get his dirty jink save.

The list itself is pretty damn nice, think you have an answer to most things at that points level. I'd agree with adding a stormwolf at 1850pts just to give you a bit of anti-air. Quick question though, are the axes power axes or frost axes? Also, although it isn't stated I always thought weapon relics replaced an item of wargear, so you wouldn't have your pistol on your battle leader. Not that it matters anyway, you can't get your bonus attack for two melee weapons as you have a storm shield.

I can see Xabre's point of view about using the firehowlers. Re-rolling charge distances is huge for an assault army of any description. Rolling a 10 for a charge also gives you furious charge which is an awesome, if incredibly unreliable.

However, the issue is that the wolf claw strike force requires a core AND auxiliary. Sadly the Wyrdstorm brotherhood is a command choice so you would need to take something else. The closet things I could match up to this list are a stormwolf, 2 units of wulfen or 2 units of fenrisian wolves. You're downgrading your wolf guard and losing WS5 but gaining a couple of interesting rules and counter charge. Your call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts