Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.redding.com/news/2013/se...t-to-split-state-pressing-on/?partner=popular

http://www.redding.com/news/2013/sep/03/siskiyou-supervisors-support-withdrawal-from/

Theres been talks of it for several dozen years. Splitting the state in two...seems laughable, but its gaining momentum.
I live in Butte County another county that wants to form this new state. It seems to be picking up steam because people are tired of ignored. The main issue is silly items like Power. PG&E run electricity halfway up Jordan Hill. They refuse to run it to the remaining 20ish houses on this hill, and the majority of Yankee Hill. They want us to foot the bill of running the power line up the public road, then from the road to the house. 2 years ago that quote was give us $150,000 and we will run the power lines. Then to run the drop from the street to the house is anything from $2,500 to $5,000

Petitions to the state have been left unanswered.
Southern California gets the majority of its water from the Lake of Oroville, etc. Its prett dismal currently the lake is so low, that its messing with the water table that feeds our wells.

Theres more to it, but thats the gist of what pisses people off.

Now for the funny fact....most of these counties are known for growing Pot. So it makes me wonder how much of this is being pushed by potheads wanting to break away and legalize etc.

Its still got a lot of hurdles to jump before its legal...but the movement is picking up steam.

Im on the fence about this.

Part of me wants to shrug it off. Part of me thinks it will be a good idea.

I kinda see it like Quebec wanting to leave Canada and join France.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
They tried to do this back around 2004 when I was living there. The rolling brown outs (power grid issues) were the reason back then also. Instead of cutting the state up and creating even more governmental crap they should dump that money into improving the Power infrastructure.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They tried to do this back around 2004 when I was living there. The rolling brown outs (power grid issues) were the reason back then also. Instead of cutting the state up and creating even more governmental crap they should dump that money into improving the Power infrastructure.

Its not just Californias power grid...its a nation wide issue. Its an outdated infrastructure, and repeatidly has been pointed out as need a severe update. Like I said though its been an issue for a few decades. I just find it humorous this latest attempt is pot growing areas.

Butte County, Humboldt county etc.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I grew up in California, just north of San Diego. I find that many of these problems could be solved by nuking L.A. That is my best idea, everyone wins!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Washington state has been trying this same thing for years as well. I doubt either will happen in a long long time.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
This is going to screw your flag up.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
This is going to screw your flag up.
Puerto Rico was already going to do that, so...

Hey, if we get to 52, we can name one week per year after a state! (Probably in order of joining the union). Also makes for a nice 6x7 grid.

I saw this, and in spite of being a NorCal child, I'm decidedly meh on the idea. I doubt it will happen any time in the next two decades, in any case. Though I did hear that a major reason why Republicans might obstruct the addition of Puerto Rico to the union* would be its left-leaning tendencies, so if a state for a state addition could be arranged, since the Butte County area seems pretty strongly Republican...

* Note to self: I need to read up on that 2012 referendum and get caught up on its fallout.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
You already have too many states.

You should just excommunicate the three maybe four dumbest ones and focus on the ones that pull their weight.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
You already have too many states.

You should just excommunicate the three maybe four dumbest ones and focus on the ones that pull their weight.
Sorry. They tried to get away in the Civil War but we were really convinced we might eventually find a use for them, so we held into them. Perhaps we need to have an episode of Hoarders cleaning out the national geography...

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
How about this... Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and I guess we'll take North Carolina too even though they're a bunch of yankees who don't know they're yankees... we'll secede again. And then you guys can have Puerto Rico and those random pacific islands nobody cares about, and can keep 50 stars on the flag. And then we'll fly this flag in Dixie (without people getting pissy about it...we do it anyway)
and everyone will leave happy?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Might as well give them Arkansas and Kentucky too, oh and West Virginia.

The US already has flags designed for up to 60 states I think.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Puerto Rico was already going to do that, so...

Hey, if we get to 52, we can name one week per year after a state! (Probably in order of joining the union). Also makes for a nice 6x7 grid.

I saw this, and in spite of being a NorCal child, I'm decidedly meh on the idea. I doubt it will happen any time in the next two decades, in any case. Though I did hear that a major reason why Republicans might obstruct the addition of Puerto Rico to the union* would be its left-leaning tendencies, so if a state for a state addition could be arranged, since the Butte County area seems pretty strongly Republican...

* Note to self: I need to read up on that 2012 referendum and get caught up on its fallout.
Does Alex Jones have any theories on the shadow agency that is secretly behind the opposition to naming a week for every state?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Might as well give them Arkansas and Kentucky too, oh and West Virginia.

The US already has flags designed for up to 60 states I think.
We will accept Arkansas, and we'll consider Kentucky. Kentucky is populated by yankees who think they're Southerners, after all. There were a bunch of Confederate regiments from Kentucky, even though Kentucky didn't secede... so... we'll have to give serious thought to whether or not we'll let them join the cool kids club again. West Virginia is right out, though. You guys can keep them. They had their chance to secede the first time and they decided they wanted to be yankees. So nuts to 'em. We'll also take Oklahoma and we'll split Missouri down the middle. Basically, you can keep the East and West Coast, the Midwest, and New England. And New Mexico, because it's populated by aging hippies who retired there for some reason.

I move to establish the capitol of the new CSA in New Orleans. Any Southerners to second this motion?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
While I am from the north I whole heartedly agree with you there Horus and nominate for President Shit-kicker for life of the United bitches of Horus.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
We will accept Arkansas, and we'll consider Kentucky. Kentucky is populated by yankees who think they're Southerners, after all. There were a bunch of Confederate regiments from Kentucky, even though Kentucky didn't secede... so... we'll have to give serious thought to whether or not we'll let them join the cool kids club again. West Virginia is right out, though. You guys can keep them. They had their chance to secede the first time and they decided they wanted to be yankees. So nuts to 'em. We'll also take Oklahoma and we'll split Missouri down the middle. Basically, you can keep the East and West Coast, the Midwest, and New England. And New Mexico, because it's populated by aging hippies who retired there for some reason.

I move to establish the capitol of the new CSA in New Orleans. Any Southerners to second this motion?
You had me until you said New Orleans. Why there? There are better cities throughout the states you mentioned to base the capitol of the new CSA.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
You had me until you said New Orleans. Why there? There are better cities throughout the states you mentioned to base the capitol of the new CSA.
Because New Orleans is awesome, and on top of that still celebrates the proud tradition of the South? A lot of the major cities in Dixie have been yankeefied by retirees and their trailing families from New England over the years. Last time I drove through Chattanooga, I was like, "Everybody here has a New York accent. What the hell?" I mean, there's a short list of possibilities at the end of the day anyway for a new capitol. Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta... I suppose technically it could be anywhere, but finding a place with the distinct character of modern Dixie, isn't next door to DC (we made that mistake once, let's not do it again), and is a functioning major city (let's face it, places like Montgomery and Raleigh have exactly nothing going on.)

Or we could just play football for it. In which case New Orleans still wins. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts