Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New to the forums but long time lurker.. wanted to get some feedback on one of my lists..

Well simply put.. I've been trying to redesign a list I was unhappy with.

I struggled to find my play style with Marines and I'm thinking I can fix it with a minimum of changes.

My goal is to push to the middle and claim the middle ground and any objectives there. This will require speed to get there and force to push anyone who is there off.

I figure if I can control the flow in the middle of the battlefield then I can subsequently push forward to the enemy's backfield.

Here's a list of stuff I took out:

Ironclad with drop pod
Dreadnought with drop pod
5 man sometimes 10 man sternguard squad with rhino and combi-meltas.
Cato Sicarius

Stuff I added:

Librarian - right now in TDA with Stormshield and an Epistolary.
5 Assault Terminators
a Land Raider Crusader - subject to change
3 Land Speeder Tornados

----------------------

I'll post the list and then my questions about it.
The list in it's current iteration is such:

[HQ]

Librarian; Terminator Armor w/ Stormshield, Epistolary

[TROOPS]

10x Tactical Squad; Meltagun, Lascannon
Sergeant; Chainsword
Rhino

10x Tactical Squad; Meltagun, Missile Launcher
Sergeant; Chainsword
Rhino

10x Tactical Squad; Meltagun, Missile Launcher
Sergeant; Chainsword
Rhino

[ELITES][b/]

5x Assault Terminators; 4x TH/SS, 1x TL Lightning Claws
Land Raider Crusader; Extra Armor, Multi-Melta

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Vindicator; Siege Shield

Vindicator; Siege Shield

Vindicator; Siege Shield

[FAST ATTACK]

3x Land Speeder Tornado; 3x Multi-Melta, 3x Heavy Bolter

------------------------

This list comes to 1890. Exactly 40 points over. The logical thing to do would be drop the TDA on the Librarian, but I plan on running him with the Termies, so I don't know that I want to.. the other option is to drop Epistolary and limit him to one power a turn.

If I do that then I have 10 more points to play with, I'm sure I can spend them on something.. even if it's just melta bombs.

I'm unsure of the Land Raider Crusader, but it is looking pretty strong...

There is a lot of armor in this list.

1x AV14
3x AV13
3x Rhinos
3x Land Speeders

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
first off you have TOO many Heavy support selections 1 LRC + 3 Vindis. drop a vindi, and potentially drop a second for a dakka pred

id drop the lascannon from the 1st tact squad, the extra armor from the LRC

thats 25 points that id give to 1 tact squad in a PF...or if you want to cut other things from your list (siege shields, termie armor...meltas) you can give all your sargents a PW or a PF/Combi-weapon combo

i just dont think that your army will last more than 2 turns of combat even if you get to charge. and that doesnt bode well.

structure wise the list looks like it could work well, the only thing id recommend would be to have a couple of RAS squads with PFs + a flamer...note the only way to do this would be to have 2+ landspeeders in a squadron (instead of 3 squadrons of 1 that i assume your running)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm just not entirely sure I want to be in combat to begin with.

If I lose combat I can fail the morale check and hightail it. I tend to find that Marines lose in close combat to dedicated assault units regardless of whether they have a fist or not, unless they got really lucky with the power armor.

After having played Orks as well, I learned a standard 20 man ork boy squad with a nob with a fist, which has approximately the same point cost is going to run through 10 marines with a fist or not. Not to mention the Nob squads, etc.

Assault Squads I find, much like Tactical squads are still "just" marines. Faster marines granted.. but still - "just" marines.

The lascannon could definitely go.. It fit, so it was in. I'm not sure why I'd want to drop the EA on the LRC though.. a 250 pt vehicle that can still shoot all it's guns if stunned is pretty good.. the whole point of it is to draw fire and deliver my hammer, and if it is drawing fire it's probably going to get stunned more than once.

If they are shooting Vindicators instead, great, I'll blast away with 2 Hurricane Bolters, a Multi-Melta and a TL Assault cannon all while moving closer to his with 5 tough as hell terminators and a librarian (unless I swap him for something else ;))

Believe me, it's not that I am not thankful.. but I think your playstyle and mine might be different :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're not running 8 Termies, so I'd drop that Crusader to a redeemer. The Flamestorm Cannons will do a number on pretty much anything, including toasting normal marines.

Also, I would suggest turning that Librarian into a termie Chaplain to give your termies that extra assault punch.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I'm just not entirely sure I want to be in combat to begin with.

Believe me, it's not that I am not thankful.. but I think your playstyle and mine might be different :)
true you prolly wont want to get in CC but more than likely your opponents will (other than Tau). with out a PW (at least) you wont be killing many of your opponents at all. having that Insta-kill weapon against normal warriors of any kind make you MUCH more survivable when your assaulted ive found.

i primarily run a vindi, a dakka pred, a LR with assault termies and rhino rush tact marines... which is almost exactly the same list as you run. i just like RAS squads to provide a semi legit CC threat.

now if you were a gun line esque then id just swap out the rhinos for razorbacks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts