Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally decided that the 40k universe is too grimdark for me, so I think I have made the decision, and will be packing up.

You see, I would use 40k as a "retreat" from the real world and politics. Due to an mental disorder called aspergers, I have strong anxieties that will often manifest themselves in political fears, ie becoming slightly suicidal if my political party loses. 40k may seem like an odd choice, but it fufills a rather difficult list:

1. Multi factional military science fiction.
2. Involves aliens.
3. Humans are in it.
4. There are "good" guys and "bad" guys. (Order and disorder are good enough in the case of 40k)
5. At least some humans can be considered "good"/"order"

I think that instead of going to war machine or another series, I will simply create my own storyline that is similar to 40k but without nearly as much grimdark. (I.e. humans are in a psuedo-republic; not as much xenophobic stuff)

It may not have much of a fanbase (probably just myself) but that doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hobby yes, site maybe eventually.

sorry.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
You see, I would use 40k as a "retreat" from the real world and politics. Due to an mental disorder called aspergers, I have strong anxieties that will often manifest themselves in political fears, ie becoming slightly suicidal if my political party loses. 40k may seem like an odd choice, but it fufills a rather difficult list:

1. Multi factional military science fiction.
2. Involves aliens.
3. Humans are in it.
4. There are "good" guys and "bad" guys. (Order and disorder are good enough in the case of 40k)
5. At least some humans can be considered "good"/"order"

I think that instead of going to war machine or another series, I will simply create my own storyline that is similar to 40k but without nearly as much grimdark. (I.e. humans are in a psuedo-republic; not as much xenophobic stuff)

It may not have much of a fanbase (probably just myself) but that doesn't matter to me.
Dude, this seems a bit silly. I don't intend to bash you, so please don't take it that way. I just don't see Asperger's Syndrome as a reason for leaving this particular hobby. I suffer from the disorder as well but I personally haven't found 40K's background to bother me. Sure, it's grim and dark but hope is still there - the Primarchs could return and so on. The way that the 40K universe works is that unless something changes the Imperium is doomed. That doesn't mean that nothing can change, though. It just won't happen in "official" fluff. Too many people are too caught up in what's official anyway.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Isn't there a rule about no public goodbyes? Whatever, suppose that doesn't apply to leaving hobbies. Good luck with warmachine, although it isn't as simple as you think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What i am looking for is a series that isn't as "grimdark."

And I find that I cannot find the emperor acceptable any more as a "good guy." Because of that, I am leaving.

In other words, I want something more black and white.

Katie drake, the official fluff is the true fluff in any series: Any fan fluff must be compatible with it to some extent. Also, the guys in the fluff section are very harsh. They really dislike my desire for a "happy ending."

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not to be mean, but there arent as many games as in depth as Warhammer. So far it looks like the imperium is doomed, real mankind faces that every day mind you its not to the same extent. Why is the emperor not a good guy anymore?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
We arn't harsh. We are telling you how it is.... that's the long and the short of it.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Katie drake, the official fluff is the true fluff in any series: Any fan fluff must be compatible with it to some extent. Also, the guys in the fluff section are very harsh. They really dislike my desire for a "happy ending."
Who cares what they think? They can dislike your desires all they want, it shouldn't effect you or your preferences.

I think part of the problem in this case is that the only part of the hobby that you're interested in is the background (or at least I assume this is so). If this is indeed the case, I recommend that you get into the hobby aspect of things like building/painting/converting models and so on. It may be outside your area(s) of intense interest, but it will probably help you enjoy things more.

Also, you should focus a lot less on the "ending" of the setting. There's tons to explore, before and after the Heresy.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I would suggest you make up your own faction with tauesk ideals on the outer edge of the galactic rim..... basically your own little oasis of happy rainbows and gumdrop forests.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Okay, I sorta see what you mean about people being 'harsh', but even still it shouldn't bother you any. It's just the internet after all.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I would suggest you make up your own faction with tauesk ideals on the outer edge of the galactic rim..... basically your own little oasis of happy rainbows and gumdrop forests.
Whilst gen.ahab has decided upon the sarcastic method of delivering an idea it's still a valid proposal (not the rainbows, gumdrops part unless you're making a colony of care bears), the Galaxy is vast and whilst technically the Imperium is galaxy spanning, in actuality more of the Milky Way is not in Imperial control than is.

Feel free to make up your own faction utilising an existing Codex you get to inject a bit more hope whilst staying with the dark, gothic setting...pretty much making any force you create that has a shred of decency the brilliant white to the other faction's murky grey.

·
Unforgiven
689 Posts
Mate, this is the internet.

If you enjoy 40k, then enjoy it. If your enjoyment is tied to an internet forum's opinions of your opinion on the nature of space elves...

than ya, you probably do need to find a new hobby.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts