Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
This is so true... Gw needs to pull their heads out and acknowledge their a gaming retailer.

I have no problem with bad ass models, that just adds to the narrative...

But he raised a good idea, rather than having white dwarf filled with how to paints, books on how to paints, everything on how to paint and look what this guy painted...
Have tactica reports... Not how to paint space marine scouts... Do how to use space marine scouts!
Release a new book on space wolf tactics... Not space wolf painting... Their blue, and yellow, I can look at the box and see that...
I can't see how one would use a long fang versus a terminator...

If their a model company, why would they waste resources making rules, and hyping them up? That's not what we're here for, surely
That's what what we have 2 types of forums here for (tactics and lists) we're here to discuss painting only... Right?

EDIT: if over 75% of their demographic calls them a gaming company... Why do they still say collectors?
They say they want to cater to 3%(when I checked) of their demographic...
That's how all the big companies work right?

Microsoft does... Everyone that buys and xbox wants TV right? Everyone loved that console...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes..as a small new business man learning how to operate a business. the first thing i learnt was "people dont plan to fail...they fail to plan" and when i read and see how GW operates that keeps coming back to me...they have majorly failed to see their company has evolved beyond its starting mission objective...what i cant understand is how people that are supposed to be so highly educated to able to RUn such companies cant see that..
i really dont believe its ALL about the shareholders..i honestly believe somebody(ies) have just lost touch with the company and where it has lead them

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
i think several things should be said, first GW knows exactly what they are and knows exactly what its customers buy, names are just badges , Gamers is a terms coined for people using computers/consoles, hobbyists/collectors/wargamers/painters/modelers doesnt really make a difference , we are all GW customers.

why do they do painting articles? because people spend far more time painting than gaming-FACT also tactics can change from game to game,turn to turn, unit to unit ,dice roll to dice roll, there is no manual to be a good general, but painting is a technique that can be taught step by step, ok some people have natural talent or a flair for it but, if you have a steady hand and GW paints you can do a good job.
Also tactics can be picked by playing a few games and trying things out, experiment with painting can be lets just say messy and expensive.

GW are not a model company, they are a toy retailer, plain and simple, they make toys and associated products, people should see them as no real different to the disney store, except GW design and produce there own products,but both essentially sell only there own IP products, Ok the setting and the products may be quite different, but GW is a high street shop chain, they are an anomaly in there field, we hold them to the values and standards of other wargames companies but nobody ever remembers that GW operates in a totally different capacity to every other wargame/model/rpg company in the world.GWs stores still generate the most revenue, which indicates they are also the gateway of entry to the hobby,the stores pull in the customers always have but the down side is they cost money meaning GW charges more money, catch twenty two.

ultimately though, what does it matter to the average gamer, ok for me or fat mantis GWs fortunes are important, but far far too much time is devoted on forums and blogs to armchair analists decrypting GWs plans, GW had an OK year, it wasnt as good as the last two, but it was about average for the last ten.
but hey amazon had a shit quarter, as did tesco, as have samsung and apple, that is how it works , some years your up some your down, if you dont go under thats gravy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
773 Posts
why do they do painting articles? because people spend far more time painting than gaming-FACT
I wish I knew that... maybe a load of my models wouldn't look as bad as they do and a load more unpainted or sprayed black/green/whatever with highlights :p.

But yeah I kinda agree with you. I spent about 10hours painting a khemri bloodbowl team what I think I used about 4 times :) though that was cos I was that bored and wanted to find out how well I could paint slightly remodelled plastic skeles from when they released Khemri for the first time near the end of 5th edition WFB, and they looked great :). But my average plague marine or dreadnaught or whatever probably had a combined 5-10mins work max if you don't include drying time and stuff as I switched from model to model, and most of them have had 100s of hours on the table.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts