Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
It's a pocket knife, I've carried one for 15 years if people are stupid enough to think it's a weapon they need their brains examined.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Really.....seriously people are ridiculous. Praise the guy for doing the right thing and preventing the kid from possibly cutting someone with a tool he does not understand. Good greif!!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I use it a thousand times a day.
But the vast majority of people do not, many have them as an accessory or to look a bit more intimidating. Just because its useful for whatever you do during the course of your day does not mean everyone else uses it for that or appropriately.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
But the vast majority of people do not, many have them as an accessory or to look a bit more intimidating. Just because its useful for whatever you do during the course of your day does not mean everyone else uses it for that or appropriately.
So having a way to cut a seat belt isn't enough of a reason to carry one?

I don't get people. I've walked into banks with an olfa knife on my waist in plain view no one bats an eye or mentions it to me. But then kids freak out over a pocket knife and policy is to call the police? How does that make any sense?

Aren't there real criminals out there for them to catch?

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
So having a way to cut a seat belt isn't enough of a reason to carry one?
Been on a lot of school buses with seatbelts lately?

And beyond the rare occurrence of the buckle being jammed, why would you need to cut a seat belt anyway?

I don't get people. I've walked into banks with an olfa knife on my waist in plain view no one bats an eye or mentions it to me.
Olfa knife? Aren't those the box cutters with sections that break off? What does you, a relatively grown man carrying a box cutter for work have to do with a ten year old showing off a pocket knife to a bunch of other ten year olds on a bus? He's certainly not using it for work.

But then kids freak out over a pocket knife and policy is to call the police? How does that make any sense?
It read like a general policy, which makes sense for an older crowd; your not exactly expecting a ten year old to have a knife after all. If the kid was seventeen and was showing off a knife, pocket or not, do you think that policy would be more appropriate?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
The bus driver is responsible for the safety of the kids when they're on the bus. Letting one of them bring a knife on board is a bit... Well, not safe or responsible now is it?

I mean, they're kids. Why do they need knives?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
He was heading to his first stop when “it seemed as though the entire bus of students started to yell that a young boy had a knife in his possession.” He says he then pulled over and told the boy, who was probably between 8 and 10 years old, that the bus wouldn’t move until he handed over his knife. After a few promptings by Kaliszewski, the boy eventually brought his small pocketknife up to the driver, who then continued his route.

“I feel I defused the situation and eliminated any danger,” notes Kaliszewski, who says he believed the boy was showing off rather than threatening anyone. Later on during the route, when a parent asked Kaliszewski why the bus was behind schedule, he explained what had happened; he adds that when he returned the bus to the garage, he looked for his supervisor to report the situation, but found she had left for the day, and he followed suit. He then wrote a formal letter to his supervisor, documenting what had taken place.
For those who may not have followed the link.

Looks to me like he's got grounds for claiming unfair dismissal. From what I can see, the only reason the teachers might be upset with the way he handled it is:

1. He mentioned the incident to a parent to explain why he was late on his route, therefore damaging the reputation of the school

or

2. He failed to stop the bus and call the police

Calling the police would have been a gross misuse of their time and manpower (It's a 9yr old with what sounds like a 2-inch blade for gods sake) and could have lead to the police claiming their time was being wasted. Telling a parent was perhaps a little indiscreet, but not a valid reason to fire someone from their job.

The kid probably shouldn't have been carrying the penknife in the first place, but there is no reason whatsoever to justify firing an old man who's doing a shitty job for a little extra money in his retirement.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Been on a lot of school buses with seatbelts lately?

And beyond the rare occurrence of the buckle being jammed, why would you need to cut a seat belt anyway?

Olfa knife? Aren't those the box cutters with sections that break off? What does you, a relatively grown man carrying a box cutter for work have to do with a ten year old showing off a pocket knife to a bunch of other ten year olds on a bus? He's certainly not using it for work.

It read like a general policy, which makes sense for an older crowd; your not exactly expecting a ten year old to have a knife after all. If the kid was seventeen and was showing off a knife, pocket or not, do you think that policy would be more appropriate?
Every come across a vehicle flipped on the highway? I have multiple times, having to take the time and reach across a person to undo the seat belt isn't easy especially if they are large. Being able to cut it makes getting people out easy.

Secondly I got my first pocket knife when I was 10 I carried one ever since, it's a good way to be taught responsibility what most likely happened is that the kid showed his friend the knife. Some city girl saw it and caused a panic.

Normal 17 year olds are smart enough to not tell anyone they are carrying a knife. Most 17 year olds that I went to school with had either drugs, knives or something on them. No one knew unless someone they trusted told on them.

Olfa knives are a bit more than box cutters, they are designed for commercial and industrial use.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
what most likely happened is that the kid showed his friend the knife. Some city girl saw it and caused a panic.
Way to draw a conclusion with absolutely no supporting evidence. It's equally likely that he threatened to stab someone with it (jokingly), or was waving it around in a stupid manner. He is 8-10 after all, and children that age do some pretty retarded stuff - I work with them all day so I know.

Either way, there is no reason for a pre-secondary school kid to be carrying a blade of any kind on the bus to school.

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
You people do not understand the area that this happened in. Parma is about 45 minutes north of me and I can tell you this, kids in this area and mine learn how to hunt at an early age. Now part of that is carrying a knife to gut the shot animal.

Not saying that the kid was a hunter or not but it would not be surprising to me if he were. I carried a Buck knife at school and had shot guns in the car that I drove to school. I would often go hunting after school with friends. Around here it is not a big deal.

I do not think that the school board or whoever it was that made the choice to end the driver's job at the school did the right thing, in fact, I think that they should fire those worthless fucks for running him off because he made the school business public.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
I can't think of a single sensible reason for such a young child to be carrying a knife. Knives are designed to cut things, and are also very good at stabbing, partly on account of that. Thus, one can be used to easily kill somebody. The driver did the right thing, and the idiots in charge decided he shouldn't be working for having the common sense to remove it from his possession.

If the kid had killed someone, how would he have felt? How would it have affected him in later life? How would the rest of the children react? One overdone conflict and a small child could kill someone. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure 10 year olds can't be held criminally responsible like an adult can. Frankly, the chances of the knife causing a much worse situation far outweigh the possible chances of improving one. Thus, small children shouldn't carry knives.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
While it is common for younger American boys to be gifted and taught how to use pocket knives it is rarely something that is allowable in the rules of a Elementary School. The kid should not have been bringing it to school. Getting it out on a bus even if it was just innocently showing it to friend is a failure on responsible handling of said knife. If he was allowed possession of the knife by his parents they failed teach him properly in what to do with it. As to the driver getting canned which was the original point of this thread. I think he got shafted and that the district over reacted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts