Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Burning Fists began as the 5th company of the Nova Marines chapter. The company had heeded the call of the Astrin Blazers Imperial Guard regiment to help put down a rebellion on the world of Gristof. It quickly became apparent why the Imperial Guard was having difficulties: The rebellion was headed by a warband of Chaos Space Marines. As the Nova Marines arrived, the fighting became even more intense.

Weeks into the war, the Novamarines found themselves in a bitter fight against the traitor Astartes. Sgt. Ekos of one of the 5th company's tactical squad found himself dueling the Lord of the renegade forces. The Chaos champion was a skilled opponent, but at the appex of the fighting, Ekos's power fist spontaneously burst into flames.

The flames did not harm Ekos, but filled him with strength and purpose as he charged forward and crushed the Dark Champion. The guardsmen present hailed this as a miracle. Soon, rumors began to spread amongst the regiment that Ekos was a chosen of the Emperor. The colonel of the regiment did not take kindly to such heretical talk, strongly suspecting that Ekos's inflammation was some form of witchcraft. and soon violence broke out amongst the guardsmen. The Nova Marines attempted to intervene, but soon found themselves taking sides as well. Soon, two distinct factions emerged: one led by Ekos himself, and the other led by the 5th Captain, Tarn. In a brief struggle, the two sides clashed and Ekos killed his former captain with his burning fist. Those remaining either pledged allegiance to Ekos or were killed.

Ekos declared that they would no longer be known as the 5th Company of the Nova Marines, but as the Burning Fists. The Astrin Blazers, now loyal to Ekos, was renamed the Legion of the Burning Fist. Ekos led his followers in a bloody raid on all of Gristoff, looting and destroying all they could. Many, including the rebels the Astartes had originally been sent to quash, joined in the pogrom, swearing allegiance to Ekos.

After 6 weeks, the Burning Fists decided to quit Gristoff before the Imperium could muster reinforcements. During the brief civil war within the company, Ekos had won the apothecary to his side, giving him access to knowledge on how to create new Space Marines to replace the loyalists killed by Ekos's faction. Immediately, he hand-picked several outstanding members of the Legion of the Burning Fist to become Astartes and the Burning Fists now number just below 100, with their strength still growing.

The Burning Fists' fighting style is still similar to that of the Nova Marines, though they tend to place a greater emphasis on assault. It has also been noted that the warband has a penchant for powerful energy weapons, such as Meltaguns, Lascannons, and Plasma Guns.

The Burning Fists have changed their armor to reflect their new independence. Before, they bore the quartered pattern of blue and bone, the heraldry of the Nova Marines, they now possess armor of pale blue with black etching. Many Burning Fists have a flame designs upon their right arms. This has earned them the enmity of the Crimson Fists, who see them as a cruel mockery. The symbol of the Burning Fists has also changed, from a haloed skull, to a clenched fist wreathed in flames.

The Legion of the Burning Fist acts much like an Imperial Guard regiment and a vast majority of them are professional soldiers. The Legion is under the direct command of the Burning Fists, similar to the Imperial hierarchy prior to the Horus Heresy.

The gods of Chaos have taken an interest in Ekos. Currently, Khorne and Tzeentch are competing for the allegiance of the renegade champion. Khorne has appealed to Ekos's martial bearings and warrior's pride, while Tzeentch undermines his ambition and thirst for knowledge and influence. In fact, it is possible that Tzeetch himself caused Ekos's mutation in the first place, though it was Khorne's influence that caused him to slay the Chaos champion and Captain Tarn. Tzeentch, however recently got an edge over his rival.
During a battle against the Crimson Fists, Ekos found himself cut off from his retinue (no doubt due to the subtle weaings of the Lord of Fate), as a squad of assault marines approached fast. His pistol had jammed (Probably another of Tzeentch's manipulations), and he had no choice but to raise his flaming hand and prepare for the onslaught. But as the Crimson Fists closed, the flames engulfing Ekos's fist leaped out and slayed the loyalists. Ekos was intrigued by this new power and wondered what else he could achieve as Tzeentch smiled.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sounds good, mate. One thought, however. You have the Crimson Fists taking umbrage at the traitors' paintjob; fair enough as I can see that happening. But wouldn't there be a stronger relationship with the Chapter Ekos and his followers have abandoned? It just seems, to me, that there might be more to build on by exploring what the Novamarines think and feel.
Actually, I was lying as I have a second point. Where did Ekos get the information to give to the Apothecary? He was just a normal Sergeant in a Tac squad, so it seems that he wouldn't be in the position to know how Astartes are 'built'.
Anyway, I liked your fluff; my questions are just secondary concerns that don't really affect the overall story. Cool!

GFP

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I must have misphrased. What I meant was: The apothecary being, well, an apothecary, had knowledge on how to create new space marines. So Ekos's winning of him to his side in turn gave him such knowledge.

I just figured the Nova Marines themselves are justifiably filled with righteous hatred. I didn't think much of it beyond that. The mentioning of the Crimson Fists was just a little jab at their similar paintjobs.

Thanks for reading!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts