Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both very good units, but you have to make the choice everytime you make the box. Which do you prefer your insane pyromaniacs or you deafening anti-tank?

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
Rules wise its Lootas but I love the Burnas so much.

But then why choose, buy a box of WHFB Orcs so you can use up all those luvverly spare gunz. :biggrin:

If you squint at my army you will find the fantasy ones lurking in there with new arms and in some cases heads. You get more boyz than the 40k box for your buck too.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
It is a tough choice as both units are good. In game play 90% of people will take and use lootas. I however do not like lootas and will be getting rid of mine in favor of burna boyz for me they just work better for my play style.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Big gun makes a big ma... Erh, ork... More guns make even bigger ork... I would do what Viscount Vash does...

·
4,491 Posts
AoBR Boyz work well too. Just cut the arms off and glue the Burna on.

I have described the Loota vs Burna argument in several threads before.

In 1750 and less, having Lootas is almost essential. They provide a torrent of fire to bust open light transports to allow the Boyz to charge. They are also quite effective at dealing with MC's, or anything with a 4+ or worse save.

To fit Burnas into a list, you really need to make some BIG sacrifices.
For a start, they need a Battlewagon. This is a big disadvantage as it will only leave 2 Battlewagons for Boyz.
Second, they are quite expensive.

I usually find that in games around 1500 points i struggle to be able to fit them in.

In games of 1750+ points they become a viable option though.
You could run a unit of Burnas in a Battlewagon, 2 units of Boyz in Battlewagons, and a unit of Nob Bikers or MegaNobz as Troops giving you your 4th Battlewagon, then run a KFF and Ghaz. All backed up by 1-2 units of 9-12 Lootas.

·
4,491 Posts
I like Burnas, but I don't play Orks, so my advice is pointless.
Just gotta keep in mind that they serve a dual purpose, anti-infantry vomit of death, and rather effective anti-MEQ melee.
I would STRONGLY advise against using Burnas in melee.
Striking at lower inititive means that you will lose a few models before striking back, which at 15 points a piece is a quite expensive loss.
And then you have the problem of only getting 2 attacks each back.
All this with a squad cap of 15 and assault starts looking like a quite expensive mistake.

Always keep them in a Battlewagon at all times where possible.
If it gets wrecked and they bail out, then dump a unit of your Boyz out and into combat, and get your Burnas to embark in the Boyz Battlewagon.
The cost of a marine and the fragility of an Ork, you want the best protection possible.

Same rules apply for Burnas as a Big Mek with a KFF.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I would STRONGLY advise using Burnas in melee.
Striking at lower inititive means that you will lose a few models before striking back, which at 15 points a piece is a quite expensive loss.
And then you have the problem of only getting 2 attacks each back.
All this with a squad cap of 15 and assault starts looking like a quite expensive mistake.

Always keep them in a Battlewagon at all times where possible.
If it gets wrecked and they bail out, then dump a unit of your Boyz out and into combat, and get your Burnas to embark in the Boyz Battlewagon.
The cost of a marine and the fragility of an Ork, you want the best protection possible.

Same rules apply for Burnas as a Big Mek with a KFF.
I think you meant dis-advise.
And true enough I guess.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Ok, lets break down da important points.
Fings wot is important: Dakka, Da Boyz, Goin' Fast, Crumpin' stuff
Now Burnaz iz good at avvin boyz and can go fast and shoot stuff so dey get points in dey un. Dey can allso crump stuff up close so dey get three points.

Lootas 'ave boys wiv um so that's one point but dey also ave dakka. Cause dey frow out lotsa dakka and noiyz i'm gonna give em 2 points. day means bofe get three points and bofe are ded killy. So either would be amazin'.

Da end

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I definitely have to go with lootas. Burnas aren't that good, in my opinion. The problem is they can't take a bosspole or a dedicated transport, limiting their effectiveness, because they usually won't last on foot. Also, they're primarily anti-infantry and anti-meq, and those are things that regular boyz and nobz are already good against, and they can be troops, whereas the burnas can never claim objectives.

The only way I've seen burnas effectively played are either in a battlewagon with an attached character (the expensive choice), or a small group sitting in cover, guarding an objective. In either case, there are still probably better options. Lootas, on the other hand, are in a class all their own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.