Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured it was fitting I post this, this time of year, since aside from the base (made from corrogated cardboard with the edges paper mached), this bunker (or more correctly a strongpoint, but I always call it a bunker) is constructed almost entirely from a selection box!

I would have made it a year ago almost to the day, and since then it's seen a lot of action. I spent a day constructing it, and a day painting it.

The super observant will recognise it from a a tutorial back in WD 184, pg 15 (The one that's all about the release of Warhammer Quest, and has the Barbarian from it on the front.) Actually one staff member in my local GW did recognise it, but he paid me the compliment when I showed him the tutorial of saying, "Ok yours is better." :)

The rough texture is made by mixing sand into PVA glue and then painting it on and leaving it overnight. The studs were just a sausage of green stuff, sliced into thin strips when hard and glued on. The 2 metal pipes are made from old paint brushes, cut to size.

It's just painted Chaos Black, then drybrushed Codex Grey then Skull White. And the metal work is just a drybrush of Boltgun Metal.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've seen something similer in a very old white dwarf. Looks great though

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anphicar said:
Now thats nice!

Looks realistic, too.

Um..what is a selection box? :oops:
Thanks. Guess you call them something different in the US. It's a Cadbury's Selection Box. Those boxes of assorted sweets you get at Christmas, containing things like Dairy Milk, Curly Wurly, Maltesers etc.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: gr8

magician847 said:
nice... but can u give any more detal (pics) of during the make?
No can do Magician, it was made a year ago. You'll need to track down the ancient issue of White Dwarf I mention which gives full instructions and photos.

P.S. For anyone confused about mention of a selection box, the original article used a Corn Flakes box instead i.e. it's just regular non-corrugated cardboard.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I made one of those when that WD article came out, got crushed years ago now. Jezlad may well remember, he made a building by sticking 3 toilet rolls together and wrapping paper around them at around the same time. Back when all we had as scenery was a hills trees and hedges.....we loved those buildings :)

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The common Curly Wurly:

Found in most corner shops and convenience store around the UK. A wonderful blend of of chocolate, toffee and just the right blend of additional chocolate and some more toffee.

Brings back memories of walking home from school with only 15 pence in my pocket. Either that or 3 Mr Frosties, a steal at 5p each.

Anyway, back on track. I can't actually see your bunker at work Frozen as the dam IT guys seem to have dissallowed pictures in forums but I am sure it looks excellent. Well done mate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts