Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that i hate when playing, is my oponent shooting through a window with a unit(on foot/vehicle) that is not within 2" of the wall, and neither is my unit

for example

Enemy Unit <5" of open ground> BUILDING <5" of open ground> My unit

Am I wrong on this?

Even worse they sometimes claim they can shoot through multiple windows

And /Or multiple buildings

I just feel that there's something wrong here

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
As I've been playing it, and someone may need to correct me if I'm wrong. But due to true line of sight as long as he can see you he can fire at you. However as he is shooting through area terrain/not in contact with the window then you gain a cover save. In this case a 4+ save.

·
Registered
765 Posts
5th ed mess up big time with the true line of sight rule. As far as I recall the above post is correct.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
actually LoS rule isnt messed up at all it works fine, and of course you'll be able to hit your target if you can see through more than 1 window for example;
its like a sniper sitting in a 3 story building and hes on the top floor, his target is 2 buildings away on the ground floor, each building is a good distance apart so the sniper can see the target through the window on the floor hes on and through the window on the 1st floor of the next building to the ground floor of the last building where his target is standing next to the window, so the sniper can still shoot the target even through 3 windows.
this is how LoS works exact same princple, in games terms tho you would recieve a 4+ cover save as this would represent a bullet or a shell going of target, falling short or exploding early, so yes shooting through multiple windows or building is acceptable, rant over lol

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
if you can see them you can shoot them.
"Space marines you can not shoot at the orks engaging our battle brothers instead shot at the orks 2 meters behind them so you have to shoot thoguht our battle borhter somehow not hurting them".......the 41st centuary is weird.

·
Registered
468 Posts
He'd need to check line of sight for each of his firing models - some wouldn't get to fire at all, and you'd get cover saves against the rest.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
What exactly seems wrong about being able to fire though windows? Sounds reasonable to me. Just trace line of sight for each model in the firing unit to a model in the target unit. Cover saves all round, 4+ or maybe 3+ depending how you rule that building to work.

Aramoro

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be a recent convert from Fantasy to 40K, would you? IIRC, Fantasy has the can't shoot out of over 2" of terrain bit. 40K doesn't.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Space marines you can not shoot at the orks engaging our battle brothers instead shot at the orks 2 meters behind them so you have to shoot thoguht our battle borhter somehow not hurting them".......the 41st centuary is weird.
I guess this just represents your squad only firing at optimal times, or taking aim or something.... maybe they're lobbing their bolts above the battle XD

40k does have 'give cover if your move than 2" in' though
I thought you could claim the cover as long as you were within the area terrain at all, like even on the border of the area terrain (that you and your opponent have discussed obviously)

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Being on the border of Area Terrain gives you a cover save, being more than 2" within said border gives your target a cover save as well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I see, that is a useful thing to know xD

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Being on the border of Area Terrain gives you a cover save, being more than 2" within said border gives your target a cover save as well.
and as long as 50% or more of your unit is within 2" you don't. It goes by majoraty so it's diffult to get a cover save though this method and quite rare unless useing really big terrain.
Just another reason i always use Area terrain and never normal type terrain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts