Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Emperors Children,

Our creative imagination has no limits, the only thing that will limit us in any way is materials and tools. Here are some tools you may want to use for scenery building.

Pen Pencil + sketch paper
Craft knife/stanley knife/box cutter
Sciccors
Metal Ruler
Wire cutters
Pliers
Saw
Hacksaw
Wood or Metal files
Sand paper
Set square
A long Ruler (piece of wood does it for me) there are metal one that will last forever.
Cutting mat/board (A craft one or again a piece of wood, just dont chop up the kitchen table)
Jigsaw and a Drill (only if your working with wood bases really) Adults Only!!!.
And of course Glue!
Pva Glue
Plastic glue
Super Glue

Last of all i would recomend finding a good stable surface thats clean of dust/dirt and some old news paper to drip glue on is handy as you can just throw it out after and leave no mess behind.

This is only a guideline not all of the above are needed, depends on materials and what your building. But all in all the more tools you can lay your shiney loot stealing hands on the better (with permission from owners of course :).
Since building terrain/scenery is and always will be messy stuff when it comes to runny glue and shaved plastic and wood and all our favorite foam board offcuts and shavings all over the floor, stuck to your clothes and hands. I have made many bits of scenery and a few gaming boards weather good or bad i always wished i could cut that foam easier and less messy without having to use a long craft knife or saw and hoping the blades not gone wonkey and given me a surf board shape wall. But everytime i look for the solution of buying a foam cutter it comes out expensive.

After alot of searching about on the net and reseaching how they actully work efficiently its actully pretty cheap, providing your patient and even scavenge some bits of friends or naughbors.

The mighty Foam cutting machine!

This monster will slice through foam so fast and clean you wont want to stop playing with it. Once mastered the options are endless.

Parts are and i am useing ->

Vinyl covered Chipboard + support post + 4 legs ( can be made from anything that will screw to wood, ideally blocks etc)

L-shape Bracket. Screws + 1-2 tention springs and bolts/nuts for the wire. hardware stores should do these.

Earth and Live wire, can be the same Wire cut in half (low amp wire upto say 12 volt max or will drain your power).

Power box controller - the one im using is for train sets, my old pot and pan supplied this for me, its 12 volt with a power controller for fast or slow cutting. Model train shops should sell them for around £10-£20 tops, or go Ebay or ask around i bet someone will have one.

Last of all the actual wire for cutting the foam. im sure it can be bought from electrical stores if you know what its called (nichrome Maybe, or ask for wire that will cut foam once heated), but i got mine from Hobby Craft. was £2.50 for 4 foot lengths.

In all i must of spent around £10 to make the cutter. Bits of wood were offcuts i found in the garage.

Any questions about anything please ask away or message me.

Feedback and tools you use is most welcome. Always a different result from differant tools. Hope this has helped in any way.

Thanks for reading.

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
isnt that really dangerous in aus because our current is 240v?

and if its okay then i shall make it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
power output of your mains shouldnt effect anything, the controller unit tht heats the wire need to be arount 6-12 volts / 8-12 ohms if im correct. the box lowers the output and uses what it needs. anything over say 15 volts/ 20 ohms would just snap the wire. if in dout about the volts etc seek advice from a electical expert. the above is how i made mine and others im sure have in the UK.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Electrician here.....
Azwraith, if you use a DC power supply (normally rated at 12v), the most damage you will do to yourself is burn your fingers on the hot wire. I could go into it, but i'd rather spare you all the boredom.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
A foam-cutter running om a modeltrain-powercontroller. Why on earth have i never figured that out ?
Very nice and simple concept :victory: +rep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts