Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got some good painting in! Finished the base coats on the armor and sleeves on the arms and guns. Washes next and then some touch ups and highlights. Also got the base coat done on one of the Drones as well. Here's a couple progress shots....

and one up close. This Is pretty much representative of where they are all at...

comments and criticism always welcome!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I was painting the second layer onto the Drone armor when I noticed a cool thing happening. The base coat was looking cool with the mid layer so I left it on certain panels. It looks like the GW scheme but a little lighter I think. Here are some pics...

How's it look? I'm thinking It could be cool on the vehicles and suits but not the body armor. Should I stick to one solid color?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
List and models both looking good, that paint job is super clean :victory:

Have you thought about a theme for the army yet?
Thanks, any suggestions on the painting? As far as a theme, I haven't really though about it. I've got very little knowledge of the Tau. Paint wise I did have an idea about denoting higher importance with white armor panels. For instance a special weapon wielder may have a couple white panels where as a Sargent would have several white panels. Sort of like the higher up they are the more pure they are and their armor reflects that. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Thanks, any suggestions on the painting? As far as a theme, I haven't really though about it. I've got very little knowledge of the Tau. Paint wise I did have an idea about denoting higher importance with white armor panels. For instance a special weapon wielder may have a couple white panels where as a Sargent would have several white panels. Sort of like the higher up they are the more pure they are and they're armor reflects that. Just a thought.
Great concept. Love it.

Do you play with friends? It might be a good idea to get some campaign ideas going, and theme the army that way. If you take a look at my bases, all my 40k armies will be done in the same way. Ties in everything I do.

A quick thought: I hate flying bases. The small ones are oddly slightly larger than 25mm bases, and the large ones are slightly over the 60mm standard base. They're very difficult to base on because of their smooth surface. I would heartily recommend using a standard 25mm or 60mm base for your drones/hovertanks. It will maintain consistency throughout the force and makes them much easier to actually base when you get there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any ideas on Sept markings? Or does anyone know have any idea where to find good resource material other than the codex. I'm probably not going to have that for a couple of weeks. I plan on coming up with my own but I wanted to draw some inspiration from somewhere .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finished up the armor and washes. Definitely like the white panels on certain models to denote importance.

and here's a close up on the special weapon dude with white armor plates...

Highlights and finishing touches in the next photo installment..... hopefully....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Finished up the highlights on all the armor and weapon panels. All I have left is some highlights on the black areas and picking out some lenses. Then any touch ups and these guys are done. They aren't going to win any golden demons but I'd say they are definitely at least tabletop quality. I'm happy with the results so far. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Really nice work on the Fire Warriors. And kudos on the whole public opinion army idea. Just to throw an idea out there I'd love to see you take on some crisis suits.

Alright! One vote for crisis suits. If nobody else has a say then that's what will be next.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Heh, I think it's a solid choice. Get some practice on the larger armour panels before moving onto the grav tanks. Keep up the good work!

Is there Anything particular that you would like to see on them paint wise?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Well nobody else seems to care revolantis so crisis suits it is!
Aye do the crisis suits :victory:

I am slowly building up my tau force ready to begin so i'll be checking in here for inspiration :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok! Finished the first half of fire warriors....

I like how they came out but there is definitely room for improvement. Areas to work on in my opinion are:

Weapon highlighting
(Need to find a different color combo for the black as well as clean up the lining.)

Sept Markings
(Need to come up with something original. Also need to work on making them as identical as possible. I hate transfers so this will just require practice)

General Highlighting
(I need to get better at highlighting as far as a stationary light source is involved.)

Pros in my opinion:

Armor panels
(I kept the panel recesses undercoat black. I think it gives then good depth and I like it better than if I were to wash over the armor in a dark brown)

Lenses
(They just came out surprisingly well to me)

Cohesiveness
(I actually wrote my method down while doing the test model and this allowed me to get the whole unit actually looking like they are in the same unit.)

The Drone
(Honestly this ended up one of my favorite models that I've ever painted!)
So that's that! I'll try and take some better shots but until then it's on to the next half and then an extra special job for the unit officer. Please comment question and criticise! It's the best way to get better and I love the feedback!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts