Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, how's everyone doing? Good? Ok! Here's what i'm up to. After a 6 month hiatus from all things 40K I wanted to get back to it. Sitting in my apartment are 100's of points worth of unfinished armies (blood angels, death guard, necrons) so i decided to commit to building and painting one 1000pt army from start to finish. I will need help from you fine people here! The army i have decided on are the Tau. The shooty aspect of them really intrigued me. Plus, who doesn't like kick ass battle suits? In order to see how i liked painting and building them i purchased a box of fire warriors as a test unit. I like them. I will post pics of the unit that is in progress. Now, what do i need from you guys? Well, i need you to help me with all aspects of building this army. What should my list look like? What unit do i buy next? After i post pics, what would you like to see me paint next? That sort of stuff. I have no experience or knowledge of the Tau other than stuff I've read about here and there. I don't even own the codex yet. Essentially i am willing to leave the entire construction of this army to the whim of the collective Heresy hive mind!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
An interesting idea, but what if we all say different things?

I think your best bet is to get the codex, decide on some army ideas and then let us vote on them. If you really want to finish the army it's probably better to have some emotional investment in it.

on the other hand if you are just willing to listen to crazy suggestions I will put forward 1000 point kroot sniper hoard :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, good point. I obviously won't be just blindly doing ridiculous suggestions. I would like it to be a somewhat effective force. I care much more about having fun than winning. For instance if a lot of people suggest a riptide with a crazy weapon load because they want to see it, i'll totally do it. However, if someone says they want to see a 1000 points of kroot snipers, i may try to negotiate it down to one squad and whatever paint scheme they would like to see. Again, i own no Tau other than 12 fire warriors. Since i don't know the army well, i'll be going on faith for what the majority of people suggest to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pictuuuuuuures
Ask and you shall receive...

here are the pics,

first up is my test model

I like how he came out. Just a simple paint job with a couple freehand markings. Nothing flashy.

And here is what I've got in progress...

As you can see I'm at the absolute beginning stage of an army. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, i suppose it's a good time to start thinking list building. I am going to just throw an open list out there and start to fill in the blanks as things go. Let's start! I'll put units I actually own in a bold type and potential units in red Italics.

HQ
(Not sure what works best as HQ for Tau so i'll leave this blank until i get some suggestions)

Elite
(XV8 Crisis Suits seem pretty standard in any list and having them decked out in missile pods seems cool)

XV8 Crisis Team - [3x Crisis Shas'ui w/3x Missile Pod each, 6x Shield Drone]

Troops
(It seems all good lists have at least two Fire Warrior teams so i'll start with that. Load out is completely up for discussion)

Fire Warrior Squad - [11x Fire Warriors w/photon grenade, 1x Shas'ui w/Marker Light and Target Lock, 2x Shield Drone]

Fire Warrior Squad - [11x Fire Warriors w/photon grenade, 1x Shas'ui w/Marker Light and Target Lock, 2x Shield Drone]

Fast Attack
(Not too sure about fast attack but i've heard good things about pathfinders so i'll throw them in for the hell of it and take them out later if points are needed)

Pathfinder Squad - [8x Pathfinder w/photon grenades, 1x Pathfinder w/Rail Rifle, 1x Pathfinder Shas'ui, 1x Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x Shield Drone]

Heavy Support
(Another spot i have no idea what to do with)

And that's a start. I'm open to any suggestions. Drones are another thing I'm not too sure about. I put shield drones down for everyone but those can obviously be changed. What i've got down comes to about 737 pts. Plenty of room to add and play around. Lets make a list!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Might I suggest a fireblade for the fire warrior squads and a hammerhead with sub munition rounds. Those hammerheads always do a number on my Lemans.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might I suggest a fireblade for the fire warrior squads and a hammerhead with sub munition rounds. Those hammerheads always do a number on my Lemans.
Ok, i'll add it to the list. How do the fireblades work? Are they HQ choices that can attach to the fire warriors?

Lol, stupid autocorrect. Cityfight
Haha! Ok, that makes more sense. Once i finish up the Fire Warriors i'll make a few bases and see which style is the most popular. Urban rubble was probably the way i was leaning anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
HQ
Cadre Fireblade - [Pulse Rifle, Photon Grenades, Markerlight]

Elite
(XV8 Crisis Suits seem pretty standard in any list and having them decked out in missile pods seems cool)

XV8 Crisis Team - [3x Crisis Shas'ui w/3x Missile Pod each, 6x Shield Drone]

Troops
(It seems all good lists have at least two Fire Warrior teams so i'll start with that. Load out is completely up for discussion)

Fast Attack
(Not too sure about fast attack but i've heard good things about pathfinders so i'll throw them in for the hell of it and take them out later if points are needed)

Pathfinder Squad - [8x Pathfinder w/photon grenades, 1x Pathfinder w/Rail Rifle, 1x Pathfinder Shas'ui, 1x Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x Shield Drone]

Heavy Support

Hammerhead Gunship - [Railgun with Submunitions, 2x Gun Drones]

Ok, with suggestions this list is now up to 987 points. Do i need 2 Fireblades? Also, does the hammerhead seem excessive for 1000pt army? What should my load outs look like on my various units? For instance, does the war gear on the Fire Warriors make sense? I'm not playing tournaments but i still want to be efficient with my selections. I'm not sure if I've got redundancies happening or not.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well since the new Astra Militarum Codex came out my buddy who plays Tau has gone against me 3 times in 1000 point games (to keep them relatively quick) he got the snot kicked out of him the first game because he couldnt pen the 2 Lemans that I brought as an hq choice. The next two games he brought a hammerhead and those Pathfinders and it ended up being a pretty fair and fun fight.
And you probably only need 1 of those fireblades. Drop 1 and a couple gun drones to put in some of those nifty stealth suit and you now have an ace in the hole with fusion blasters :good:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well since the new Astra Militarum Codex came out my buddy who plays Tau has gone against me 3 times in 1000 point games (to keep them relatively quick) he got the snot kicked out of him the first game because he couldnt pen the 2 Lemans that I brought as an hq choice. The next two games he brought a hammerhead and those Pathfinders and it ended up being a pretty fair and fun fight.
And you probably only need 1 of those fireblades. Drop 1 and a couple gun drones to put in some of those nifty stealth suit and you now have an ace in the hole with fusion blasters :good:

Ok, that's some good info. I'll make those changes. Any Tau players out there want to weigh in on this? Particularly war gear on these units?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
HQ

Elite

XV8 Crisis Team - [3x Crisis Shas'ui w/3x Missile Pod each, 2x Shield Drone]

XV104 Riptide - [Heavy Burst Cannon, Twin Linked Smart Missiles, Target Lock]

Troops

Fire Warrior Squad-[11x Fire Warriors w/photon grenade, 1x Shas'ui w/Marker Light and Target Lock, 2x Shield Drone]

Fire Warrior Squad-[11x Fire Warriors w/photon grenade, 1x Shas'ui w/Marker Light and Target Lock, 2x Shield Drone]

Fast Attack

Pathfinder Squad - [10x Pathfinder w/photon grenades, 1x Grav-inhibitor Drone,]

Heavy Support

Hammerhead Gunship - [Railgun with Submunitions, 2x Gun Drones]

1000 pts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I would try and shoehorn a riptide in over the stealth suits. I really like stealth suits but the riptide is just great both in terms of the model and performance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would try and shoehorn a riptide in over the stealth suits. I really like stealth suits but the riptide is just great both in terms of the model and performance.
Ok, I do like the riptide a lot. Plus it would act as a very nice centerpiece to the army. What would be good load out?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts