Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to figure out way to bother using these guys. in an army that specializes in close combat these guys are surprisingly not up to the task.

they can more or less be equipped with the same equipment that a crusader squad can, but they cant pad their squad with neophytes. They can take some skills, Infiltrate, Counter-attack or furious charge.

now at 19 points a piece I really can't justify expending on these guys, with counterattack, the only time they ever get charged is when they are going to get decimated by whatever elite unit will charge them. with infiltrate, yeah I may get to place last, but the enemy I often face typically has so many units that I cannot even infiltrate to a useful position. now yes they can be fitted with a power weapon, and a powerfist or lightening claws, but when compared to an elite choice like the Harlequins, which the Harlequins cost 1 point less a piece, but have better WS, more attacks, the ability to all take rending weapons at 4 points a piece, 2 of the 3 skills that the Sword Brethren can take, plus tons more. They can become a stealth unit with an upgrade character. they may have a crappy save, but its always invulnerable, they have a very high initiative, and the part that bugs me is that they have fleet on top of all that, which is like a better version of righteous zeal, that doesn't require a casualty, and they can do it every turn if they want. which if they have pistols, means that in most cases, they probably wont be able to shoot.

(I appologise about being bitter about the Harlequins, but I am always fighting them, and I very rarely win against this player, like 1/10 times (and we started playing Warhammer40k on the same exact day too)

so, what am I missing, these units have to be good for something, and not something that is a total gamble, like infiltrating and then going first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First, a couple of questions, because BT is probably the codex I'm least familiar with.

What exactly are they equipped with at 19pts? How much do options like power weapons, power fists, and lightning claws cost? Can they be given terminator armor, and if so how much does that cost?

I have a couple ideas, pending the answers to the above questions. However, I susupect against a buddy who loves harlequins, that you're right - there's probably no point in taking these guys.

They could, however, be useful against him if he doesn't have harlies, or against other armies.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Infiltrators makes them worthwhile, regardless of anything else they've got. In my experience, just because you can deploy closer to the enemy with Infiltrate doesn't mean you HAVE to. The real value of Infiltrate is that you can react to your enemy's deployment, so the squad is exactly where you need them. The reason my Sons of Horus army is so outrageously deadly (I've won all three rounds in the last FIVE rogue trader tournaments I've attended with them) is that the entire army has Infiltrators, and I essentially deploy in reaction to my opponent.

And of course, if they're a firepower-intensive army, go ahead and deploy forward. Your opponent now has a dilemma. Shoot the more dangerous, and much larger Crusader Squads, which are further back-- or shoot the closer, smaller, but perhaps more immediately threatening Sword Brethren? Either way, you win-- if he shoots the Crusader Squads, the Sword Brethren will get stuck in more or less unscathed. If he shoots the Sword Brethren, that's heat your main squads aren't taking.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they don't work too well as a decoy, the reason being is because in trying to endlessly march forward to get into assault range you have to try to position yourself to take hits and minimize (but still take)casualties, while not exposing yourself to enough fire to wipe you out. the optimum situation is that each turn I get shot at and lose one member of each infantry squad so that they can "Righteous Zeal" forward their d6 inches. the entire chapter is outfited with bolt pistols and ccw's as thier default, so theres very little range, so I typically can't do anything till I get into assault range anyway.

it seems that they can have both a power weapon and a power fist at the same time (15pts each), as well as some of them can be upgraded with terminator honors for 10pts, making one model 39pts (at which point why not just buy a terminator)

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
They're a solid alternative to command squads at that point. Load 'em in a Crusader with a Chaplain. They're throwing more attacks than terminators at that point, and you've still got a couple power fists in there.

·
Banned
801 Posts
They are one of three things; a 'suprise' unit, a replacement Command Squad, and a replacement Crusader Squad.

As a suprise unit, you get six, give them Infiltrate, and give them guns, or Claws and Sword. Drop them near a fragile but extremely valuable enemy unit, such as a weak armoured tank, or a Devastator-equivalent. Get them to shoot up or slice up the unit, reomivng it from the game, or weakening it. This is a sacrificial tactic, so don't expect them to Sparta the entire army.

As a replacement Command Squad, you fill out your commander's transport with them, give them Claws and Sword, give the Claws and Sword guy Terminator Honours (this is the only unit in the game that can take TH on a man-by-man basis), and geneally treat them like a cheaper Command Squad with Furious Charge.

As a replacement Crusader Squad, just treat them like a Crusader Squad without Neophytes and with excellent options.

I only ever use one squad (I'd use two in 3000+ but nobody plays those), but I use it in close to every game. The Sword Brethren are excellent as a stopgap for the weaknesses of Templars, or as a way to make your assault stronger on the cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.