Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend are going to a double tournament in a couple of weeks and need some advice?
2x800p Iron Hands and Tau

Space marines Iron Hands
HQ
Master of the Forge 90p
3x servitors, 2x plasma cannon 70p

Troops
Tactical squad 5x marines, 1x plasma cannon 85p
Tactical squad 5x marines, 1x meltagun 80p

Heavy support
Vindicator, stormbolter 130p
Landraider, multimelta 130p

Total 800p

Tau
HQ
Darkstrider 100p

Troops
Fire warrior team 6x 54p
Fire warrior team 6x 54p
Fire warrior team 8x, Devilfish, 2x drones, 167p

Elite
XV 104 Riptide, TL fusion, Ion Accelrator 220p
Heavy Support
XV 88 3x, 1x Shas´vre 205p

Total 800p

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Me and my friend are going to a double tournament in a couple of weeks and need some advice?
2x800p Iron Hands and Tau

Space marines Iron Hands
HQ
Master of the Forge 90p
3x servitors, 2x plasma cannon 70p

Plasma Cannons on the Servitors aren't bad, but really not good either. With their armor (4+?), they might not last through the first 1 you've rolled on them. I understand the idea of using them as a cheap fire support base with your Forgemaster, but in general they're best suited to just a buff to your repair rolls.

Troops
Tactical squad 5x marines, 1x meltagun 80p

Your meltagun is going to have a very hard time getting up close to the enemy with no transports. The plasma cannons aren't as bad here as they are in the servitors because of power armor, but honestly, you're MUCH better off using missile launchers. More versatile, better punch when you need them, and if you drop points from the plasma-servitors, I believe you can buy Flakk missiles, since you lack any anti-air.

Heavy support
Vindicator, stormbolter 130p
Landraider, multimelta 130p

Huhwha? Landraiders start at 250p. In addition, you lack any squad I'd be eager to put into a Raider, so if you just wanted some lascannons, I'd go with a Predator, or some Razorbacks.

Total 800p

Tau
HQ
Darkstrider 100p

Troops
Fire warrior team 6x 54p
Fire warrior team 6x 54p
Fire warrior team 8x, Devilfish, 2x drones, 167p

They're small, lightly armored, and will die quickly. Both of your armies are running some pretty bare bones squads. I'd especially worry about morale tests from casualties here.

Elite
XV 104 Riptide, TL fusion, Ion Accelrator 220p

As listed, this Riptide is only appx 190 points.

Heavy Support
XV 88 3x, 1x Shas´vre 205p

I'd run these guys with Heavy Missile Pods and try to just saturate the air with shots. Honestly, in this army, you might be better suited with a hammerhead with railgun and submutions, to give you some more versatility.

Total 800p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the tips!
The plan for the landraider is the high armor, some hiding if need be and to attract firepower which the master will fix. And it also has "it will not die".
(copy paste mistake for the 130p oops!)

Ill like plasmas more than missiles.
Missiles newer kills a thing for me :(

For the Tau ill give my friend the tips! :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thx for the tips!
The plan for the landraider is the high armor, some hiding if need be and to attract firepower which the master will fix. And it also has "it will not die".
(copy paste mistake for the 130p oops!)

Ill like plasmas more than missiles.
Missiles newer kills a thing for me :(

For the Tau ill give my friend the tips! :)
I'd rather see two Predators than one Land Raider, but that's just me. Honestly, since you're using a Master, I'd rather see 3 or 4 autocannon Dreadnoughts and just saturate an 800-pt game with a ton of fire support. You could run 4 or 5 of them with two autocannons, or even las/missile launcher and dominate the field, with the Forgemaster to try and repair them.

Your problem is that you have 15 scoring models that a single template and wipe out. I'd absolutely be fielding a Heldrake in an army like this, and you can't stop them. Missile Launchers are far superior than plasma cannons; they're slightly more expensive, but they can at least glance a land raider, have no risk of explosion, and can drop blast templates on hordes. With plasma cannons you're always risking the Gets Hot roll, never able to use that high strength at full accuracy against heavy armor (since blasts can scatter), and are usually wasting AP2.

Otherwise, your army still has giant glaring issues. Your vindicator is a 24" gun while your land raiders are 48" lascannons, but then by putting the MM on the thing, you're back to a 24" gun which you dont need because you have those lascannons. Your marines need to be within 24" to at least fire once with the bolters, and you have no way of getting them there except slogging forward, and you can't slog forward while using the plasma cannons; something is always getting wasted.

Tau works better as fire support because their guns have some better range; he'd do much better supporting you if, for instance, he ran 2 Fireblade Cadres and 2 squads of 10-11 firewarriors, because they can output ALOT of shots at 30". The devilfish is a nice transport, but again, too little too late.

I think your army just can't survive. You have no anti-air, and while you do have some armor support, they're not enough to make up for the weaknesses in your troops. You run the risk of having nothing but a Land Raider and a Riptide on the board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts