Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First off thanks for convincing me to get the British/Commonwealth book, there are indeed several/major differences that it was worth getting.

I've scoured the internet and I can't really find 28mm Brits, at a decent cost, than the ones from Warlord.

as such would the best way to get into the Brits be the below. If there are other ideas, please recommend.

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/co...in/products/1-000pt-british-army-starter-army

and

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/co...olt-action-british-infantry-plastic-boxed-set

----

I ask since it seems, from my minor experience, that currently tanks are vastly under powered and therefore more infantry is always the better option. Which means that most tanks we/I plan on using are more than likely to be infantry killers rather than tank hunters.

Therefore I ask what are perhaps the best/better options for tanks, because they are tanks, and tanks are cool.

I like the M24 Chaffee, but for the Brits it's a late war tank (1945), and I am not sure if my group will let me use it in "normal games" - I am waiting for a response - but nonetheless, the rest of the british arsenal of vehicles do not really give me much of a "I want that" feel, and having jeeps with MMGs zooming around causing havoc is nice, but it does not necessarily fill that "It's a tank, therefore a badass" spot that I like.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Go with a centaur for your tank slot. It's a Cromwell with a medium howitzer instead of an AT gun. It should lift whole squads off the board if it hits. And it's cheaper pts wise. That British army deal is good value, and while not exactly an optimal list, it's fully playable and competitive straight out of the box.

Why would your group have a problem with Chafees, especially British ones? They could be considered slightly OP in a US list, but the Brits can't make it Recce or give it a HMG as far as I remember.

EDIT: Looks like it can have Recce, but it's still not that bad. If they do have a problem go with the AEC mkIII. It's an armoured car that has exactly the same stats but can move 12" instead of nine, and they can't really object to it without being massive dicks.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with a centaur for your tank slot. It's a Cromwell with a medium howitzer instead of an AT gun. It should lift whole squads off the board if it hits. And it's cheaper pts wise. That British army deal is good value, and while not exactly an optimal list, it's fully playable and competitive straight out of the box.
I'll go take a look at it.

Why would your group have a problem with Chafees, especially British ones? They could be considered slightly OP in a US list, but the Brits can't make it Recce or give it a HMG as far as I remember.

EDIT: Looks like it can have Recce, but it's still not that bad. If they do have a problem go with the AEC mkIII. It's an armoured car that has exactly the same stats but can move 12" instead of nine, and they can't really object to it without being massive dicks.
Khorne's Fist, the past few games I've played were set in North Africa, and while it seems that most people would likely be ok with me using it, I'm not sure how strict they are going to be regarding late war units in early/mid war theaters. I'm not certain that they are just following the standard campaign (I would assume so, with my small amount of experience) and how close they are to following it.

----

Lastly, does anyone know of any good "Alternative history" campaigns? Just for added diversity so the game does not go stale.

For example, Spain/Turkey joining the Axis.

Vichy France being more "important(?)" to the axis.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
There's plenty of real history that would provide fresh motivation and stop it going stale if you wanted to tinker with lists later on. Just look into the history of the battle for Monte Cassino. There were British, Polish, Americans, French and their North African levies, Australians, New Zealanders (of which their Maori Battalions proved to be absolute beasts in the close quarters fighting), Ghurkhas, and most surprisingly of all, a contingent of Brazilians. Plenty of interesting stuff if you want to build a themed list. The rules also lend themselves to playing out battles from the likes of the Spanish Civil War.

There is also a Weird Wars supplement coming some time soon, that could bring in walker type tanks, zombies, vampires, etc. It might not be every historical camers cup of tea, but for those of is coming from scifi/fantasy systems it should provide some interesting diversions. There is also a rumoured WWI supplement in the works.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
There is also a Weird Wars supplement coming some time soon, that could bring in walker type tanks, zombies, vampires, etc. It might not be every historical camers cup of tea, but for those of is coming from scifi/fantasy systems it should provide some interesting diversions. There is also a rumoured WWI supplement in the works.
Hellboy anybody.....? :good:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.