Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thats 3 days of gaming done and dusted, feeling very tired after it all (its a long event) but was well worth it. 6 very good and challenging games, top atmosphere and lots of laughs (again hats off to Geoff for sorting the 40k event out).

For those who don't know Britcon is a big tourney held in manchester each year. For 40k its a 2k tourney split over 6 games, 3 of which where city fight this year, with some little random "extras" thrown into the games for fun (more of those later). Its geared towards been a lot more relaxed than a GT and more about having a laugh and been social than WAACing.

It was the first year for me and after MUCH chopping and changing of lists i finally settled on this for my Nids:

HQ
Flyrant: Wings, WS6, I6, S6, Lashwhip/Bonesword, Scything [169]
Dakkatyrant: BS4, S6, 2 Twin Devourers [121]

ELITE
4 Warriors: I5, Leaping, Carapace, Scything, Rending, Fleshhooks [160]
4 Warriors: I5, Leaping, Carapace, Scything, Rending, Fleshhooks [160]
Dakkafex: 2 Twin Devourers, Spinebanks [110]

TROOPS
6 Genestealers: Scuttlers, Fleshhooks [120]
14 Hormaguants WS5/I5 [168]
14 Termaguants: Fleshborers [84]
14 Termaguants: Fleshborers [84]

FAST ATTACK
Ravener [40]
Ravener [40]

HEAVY SUPPORT
Dakkafex: 2 Twin Devourers, Spine Banks [110]
Gunfex: BS3, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler [148]
Gunfex: BS3, Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler [148]

Total = 1998
92 Models

So after a very bloody warm up vs Longbeard (he learnt to respect the speed and combat prowess of Hormagaunts i believe), where it felt like everyone at the event was watching us fight it out, i got given my first opponent (victim? :twisted: ).

Allun Evans - Nice lad up from Wales for the weekend with his BA;

x2 Chaplain with Jump Packs
10 Vet Assault Marines with 3 fists in Rhino
Maxed Death Company with Jump Packs
Furiso
10 Tactical Marines with Las/Plas + Rhino
5 Tac Marines with Plas
5 Devs with 3 ML's/HB + Lascannon Razorback
Baal
Whirlwind

Alluns first comment was "ohhh shit i REALLY was hoping i wouldn't end up playing you!" - so i'm feeling confident.

Mission was Loot at Gamma. The Board was bascially dominated by a large wood just of the centre (right) and a clump of hills (left) with a smattering of ruins along the long and short board edges. I deployed the vast majority of my forces behind the big wood (keeping guants spaced out against WW shots) and then all 4 Fex' took station behind the hills supported by Raveners and a Warrior Brood. Allun placed most of his forces in or around a large ruin on his board edge behind the big wood. Whilst some Tac marines with plasma and the Baal took to the left opposite the fex's.
The first turn pretty much set the tone for the game. My 2 gun fex's nuked his Lascannon Razorback and Furiso Dread straight off whislt in return all his weapons pretty much missed. Turn 2 saw me rolling 6's again for 2 HG broods on the fleet so they got to charge across and into the Tac marines opposite the Fex's, promplty hammering them down to a sole survior. His Baal got blown away as did most of his Devs (failed 3 out of 3 saves against the barbed strangler) and then got pinned!
Allun reacted by sending the DC into the Hormaguants with both Chaplains in tow. They rended the piss out of every model in 2" but it was not enough and my HG's held due to synpase. Turn 3 and my Raveners, Warriors and Flying Tyrant joined the DC combat and battered everything in sight. The fex's contined to hammer his castle and more marines failed to non exsistant power armour (he kept failing and failing his saves). After the DC and Chaplains went down i just spent the final turns moving in for the kill, annhilating everything and getting the counters.
End result: 32-0 to me :D

Twas a good game and Allun was a nice lad but unfortunatly i had the edge on tactics and it really showed when i kept exploiting his misfortune to the max.

More to follow later...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so after some beers friday night and a late night chinese with some of the guys i woke up far too early sat morning to go play my 2nd game.

Bleary eyed and trying to contain a dodgy stomatch i found that my 2nd game was to be against Stephen O'Neill from MAWS (Manchester Area Wargaming Society) with his Black Templars:

Emp Champ with the "hit everything on a 3+" vow
Commander with Power Weapon and Orbs
Chaplain with Orbs
5 Terminators with 2 Asscannons
Dread with Asscannon/hvy flamer
x3 BIG Templar units (10 marines and 6/8 initiates) with Fists and Melta.
2 Tornados
Pread Destructor with Lascannon Sponsons
Pread Annihilator with Hvy Bolter Sponson

I've faced BT's once before with my nids and it was a blood bath to say the least. If i could deal with the Tornados and Tanks then the game would be mine as he needs to get into CC with his Marines, which is exactly where my army wants to be.

Mission was Recon and Omega level (so esgaylation). The Board had a very even mix of terrain all over it creating some nice firelanes and lik zones. but no really obvious terrain heavy route for my army. Stephen deployed all his big Crusader squads plus Characters to the right of the centre pretty much the full 15" on. I oblidged him by placing my troops (warriors, stealers and termaguants) pretty much opposite. 1st Turn saw me suffle forwards to get myself in postion for charges. Stephen then decided to move forwards aswell shorting the distance consdierable. He took a few pot shots with his massed pistols and melta weapons killing 2 stealers and a few termaguants.

Turn 2 saw me bring on both tyrants, both dakkafexs, both raveners and one gun fex. They all came on my right hand flank and began marching straight forwards towards the enemy. The rest of my army moved forwards, both termaguant units targetted the Cursader squad with the Commander - killed 5! Then my army charged in: Termaguants vs commanders squad, stealers and warroiors vs chaplains squad. The Chaplains squad went straight under to massed I5/I6 rending attacks suffering minimal casualties in return (Chaplain killed a warrior), they then all consolidated into the Emp Champ squad. The Termagaunts where superb, they killed off the entire Cursader squad despite only been S3 and left the commander alone and surronded wby 20+ critters. Stephen then after some dire reserve rolls only managed to bring on the Pread Destructor which tooks station on the right to face down all my TMC's, whilst the Dread came on behind the big combat in the centre. Comabt saw the termagaunts kill the commander - WHOOOOOT :D Whilst the Stealers and warriors brutalised the Cruader squad, they held but only a few remained. The Emp Champ proved to be a monster slaying a Warrrior himself whilst the sqauds fist dealt with another. But it was not to be enough as they all fell in the next round before landing anymore blows.

The game was now fimly in my grasp and the next few turns resulted in my TMC phallanx marching towards his deployment zone with the Gun fex's dealing with the Speeders and Destructor, whilst the Flying Tyrant destoryed the Annihilator and Dread in CC, and the Warriors took down the Terminators.

Final result was 30-2 to me :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So moving onto my 3rd game vs Neil Gibbons (Skullcollector) and his Ogre Flesh Marines of Doomtm.

Neil army consited of:

Chaplain with 2+ save, Hammer and Jump Pack
Libby with 2+ save, 4+ inv, Jump Pack, Veil and Fear
Venerable Dread with Twin Las/ML
2 Dreads in Pods with Asscannons
6 CCW Terminators with 2 Hammers and 4 Claws.
6 Tac Marines with Las/Plas
6 Scouts with ML & CCW/Pistols
2 Multimelta Attack Bikes
2 Tornados
3 Scout Bikers
Landraider Crusader

Mission was Take and Hold, on a city fight terrain heavy type board (large building in the middle), using Geoff's Tectonic Shift special Rules (never came into affect though).

Neil had a large ruined building in his deployment zone (just of centre to the right) which he promplty deployed his whole army in and behind. I phallanxed my whole force up basically in the centre using the cover of the large central building and my TMC's to protect my more valuable units (tyrants, warriors and stealers).

I took the first turn, advanced my army forward warrily knowing he's probably planning to rsh me with everything in an attempt to shoot me up and get his termies/chappy/libby into CC. My 2 gunfex's where legends and killed his entire Las/Plas squad after they forgot to turn thier armour on (ouch!). Neil then responded predicably by moving all his speeders adn attack bikes towards my right flank to gun down the fex holding that end and the raveners behind him. Whilst his Raider charged straight through the building, disgourged the CC termies and the Chappy/Libby joined them. Neils shooting phase didn't go according to plan and after 2 Multimeltas, 2 Asscannons, 2 Hvy Bolters, Twin Las and ML all shot at the Dakkafex it still stood with a single wound left! WHOOOOT! His mega CC unit charged into some termagaunts who where just in range and unsurprisingly battered them. Though they couldn't kill all the termies so they had to pile into the survivors (Neil mistaking thought they where all in 2" and planned to move onto my TMC's).

My 2nd Turn saw a massive counter charge into the Termi/Character unit with no less than my Flytyrant, all 8 Warriors, Dakkafex and 14 Hormaguants (i'am good at engineering charges). My Ravners also zoomed a mighty 20+ inches over the board and charged his attack bikes. Meanwhile the rest of my force continued its advance. In the shooting phase the nearly dead Dakkafex retaliated vs the Tornados and shot them both down (mmmm i like devourers), while the 2 Gunfexs pumelled the landraider taking off its Multimelta and Asscannon. Onto combat.... the termies went straight down to the combined efforts of the Tyrant and 4 Warriors. The Hormagaunts accounted for the Chaplain whilst the Libby proved (as he did all game) to be invincilbe with Veil. Passing all 6 Inv and 4 armour saves then killing 2 Warriors! I piled my Hormaguants into the Libby which meant non of my other units could attack him so they where free to condidate forwards. The ravners on the right dealt killed one attack bike and moved into the 2nd.
Neils 2nd turn started off in the worst possible way. His Ven Dread rolled double 1 to get into terrain so was stuck outside it looking at 2 Gunfex's and a Dakkafex. Neither Podding dread arrived and his Raider went and imobilised itself! hsi shooting saw the Ven dread take out the dakkafex with one wound left and his raider shot up some gaunts. Combat saw the libby dispatch the last 2 warriors and yet again due to viel passed every inv and armour save needed! This guy was gonna be tough to shift.

My turn 3 and i sent my ravners (having just killed the last attack bike) towards the Raider and my flytyrant moved forwards to help them. The Gunfex's advanced towards the raider aswell and my Hormagautns charged Neils scouts on his left flank. The Scouts went down as predicted (WS5/I5 hormaguants are brutal) whilst the Raider managed to survive a ton of firepower and CC attacks from the raveners. My stealers in an effort to kill the super libby charged him, did 7 Rends out of 18 attacks and again he passed all his 4+ inv saves and every armour save he needed. He killed off 4 of the stealers in return and i was starting to realise how hard he was gonna be to kill off.
Neils Turn 3 saw one dread arrive beside my dakkatyrant, took some shots at it but failed to cause any damage. Meanwhile his ven dread charged into the raveners (after failing to kill them with its shooting) and promptly fisted one of them to death. The libby AGAIN survived all the attacks and rends thrown athik without suffering a wound and killed all the stealers.
Turn 4 and my Wing tyrant chared the Ven dread, one of my gun fex's charged the Raider and the other tyrant charged the newly arrived dread. The podding dread went straight down to the tyrant who moved onto the pod to kill that next. The fex nucked the raider quite happily whilst the Flying tyrant only managed to pull the powerfist off and stun the Ven dread. The libby turned his attention back towards the Hormaguants, killed a load and again suffered no wounds.
Neils turn then saw the final dread arrive, shoot at some warriors and kill one. The Libby again killed more hormaguants and the Ven dread again survived the Flying Tyrant losing his lascannon but not dying.
My final 2 turns saw my warriors charge the last Dread and tear him apart over 2 rounds of CC, the Flyingtyrant finished off the ven dread and the libby continued to kill gaunts. I decided at this point i would never hurt the libby so sent my last termagaunt brood into CC with him to tie him down till the game ended. Which they happily died doing.
The game ended with all my survinf forces standing in the centre of the board and Neils sole survinving Libby standing atop a mountain of dead nids.

Final score 30-2 to myself again :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Game 5. Was paired up to play Craig Taylor from Burnley, young lad that has his dad "observing" his games. This year he had brought some cream and purple marines to the tourney.

His list was:

Libby with Fury and Jump Pack
Chaplain with Jump Pack
6 Las/Plas Tactical Marines
6 Las/Plas Tactical Marines
5 Scouts with Sniper Rifles and ML
6 Marines with Dual Plas in Rhino
6 Assault Marines with Fist
3 Tornados
2 Whirlwinds
Landraider

Mission was City Fights "plant the flag" with 3 strategems (every game i always took medicae, booby traps and preliminary bombardment). The board was deployed as per the CoD book; so biggest building in the middle and then all the others slowly moving outwards in concentric circle type shapes with smallest pieces on the edges. The Mission would involve moving scoring units into buildings to place flags. These flags are there until the enemy puts a scoring unit inside that building. So in theory you can move from one building to another planting flags with the same unit. Also worth noting all city fight games are set up just like cleanse (but 12" from the centre). I got the bottom left corner and deployed all my TMC's central in a phallanx flanked by the smaller models who had spread out due to the whirlwinds. Craig deployed both Las/plas squad looking down the firelanes either side of the central building and everything hiding behind buildings in his deployement zone.

Before the game started we both resolved out Preliminary Bombardments. I stunned 2 speeders and a whirlwind. Craig took 3 wound off a gunfex! and killed about 2 dozen gaunts! Geoff then informed us that this mission had his "Earthquake" special rules so that meant a 2nd round of preliminary bombardments. Craig killed some more gaunts, a ravener and finished off the alrady wounded gunfex! (remember that to "hit" a unit you must roll a 6, followed then by D6 armour saves!). My 2nd wave did nothing but stun the whirlwind that was already stunned.

I got first turn and so began my advance; TMC's moved towards the centre building, stealers off to the right with some hormaguants to hunt the Assault marines. Warrriors, Ravner and other guant broods to the left fire lane to takle his flank. My shooting came to nothing and it was Craigs turn. He moved his landraider forwards towards the stealers, though went and imbolised himself on a piece of rubble. The Assault marines moved forwards aswell with the raider. His left flank saw the rhino zoom out and the tac squad deploy behind it ready to march and rapid fire and 2 Speeders moved to join them. Shooting saw my Ravener go down to the speeder, Whirlwind took out some gaunts and the Raider killed 2 stealers.

Turn 2, my stealers managed to roll 6 followed by 4 for thier terrain/fleet which (after having to re-measure to prove i had moved them only 10" - turned out to 9" so they got an extra 1" forwards :D) put them in range of the Chaplain at the front of the asault marines. My Warriors moved into the building with hormagaunts to get ready to charge the dual plas squad. While my TMC's and other gaunt units went round the central building (he had placed his own booby traps and set a demo charge in it so didn't want my TMC's to take wounds and/or get entangled if the building exploded) getting thier devourers into range of his lasplas sqaud. The Gunfex shot the raider and stunned it. The 2 Dakkatyrants killed off 3 members of the 1st las/plas squad (one been the plasma gunner) Whilst the Devourer tyrant killed 4 of the other (plas again! - 12 shots hitting on 3's with re-rolls and wounding on 3's with re-rolls is rude. And all for 121pts!!!). The stealers attacked and slew the chaplain with ease, moving into the assault squad he was leading.
Craigs turn and he attempted to stem the tide, moving the tactical squad forwards against the warrirors/HG's with now all 3 Tornados in support. After a lot of shooting the warriors and HG's still stood thanks to some top cover saves on my part. The Las squads took some wounds of the TMC's and the Whirlwinds killed a few more gaunts. In combat the stealers hacked the assault marines down to 2 models after killing everything in thier killzone (fist included).
My 3rd turn really swung the game in my favour. All the TMC's where now in the centre of the board with clear fire lanes to his whole army, the Flytyrant charged a las squad and the HG's and warriors charged the dual plas unit. Another HG brood charged the 2nd Las squad My last termaguant brood shot up the Scouts, my Dakkatyrant killed a speeder, the other 2 went down to a dakkafex and gun fex. Whilst the last dakkafex blew up a whirlwind with his devourers. Comabt saw all his units get ripped pretty much to pieces with the nids moving onto the surviors.
Craigs turn saw the libby move into the Hormaguants who had just killed the Dual Plas unit, hacking his way through them whilst the rest of his force died in CC.
Turn 5 and my Flytrant moved into and killed his libby in CC whilst the Dakkafex blew up the final Whirlwind. Craig conceeded at this point and i had claimed 7 of the 8 building in the game.

Final results 32-0 to me again.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right well after some nice food down Nando's with Neil, Matt, Mark and my Bro (who showed up to do some drawing - he's a funny one my bro), a VERY surreal pub quiz (you had to be there to believe it) hosted by the most angry hate filled scotsman i have ever met! ("would you KINDLY take your drinks into the OTHER bar NOW! please?) and about 4/5 hours sleep i was up again bright and early for the final round of games.

Turning up at the event i found that my next opponent was Mr WPS Alex West and his very nice Space Puppies:

Wolf Lord on bike with Frost Blade
Rune Priest on bike with Frost Blade and Rune Staff (wicked conversion of the sammael model)
Space Wolf Ven Dread with Asscannon/Hvy Flamer
Dread with Twin Las
6 Wolfscouts with Melta and Thunderhammer (again wolfguard leader).
8 Grey hunters with 2 Fists, Melta, 2 Plasma Pistols (was a wolfguard leader in there) all in a Pod.
8 Grey hunters with 2 Fists, Melta, 2 Plasma Pistols (was a wolfguard leader in there) all in a Pod.
8 Grey hunters with 2 Fists, Plasma, 2 Plasma Pistols (was a wolfguard leader in there) all in a Pod.
Tornado
Tornado
Tornado with MMelta and Hvy Flamer
Pread Destructor with Lascannons
Pread Annhilator with Hvy Bolters
Whirlwind

So ok Space Wolves are a force i often struggle with. Thier high ammount of attacks, not giving a shit about been outnumbered (so my numbers mean shit in CC to push it over the edge) and loads of powerfists hidden in squads all causes problems for my force.

Mission was Domination (hold as many buildings as possbile with units at the end of the game - so loot where the buildings are the counters). The board was actaully the same one i played on in game 5 and the terrain hadn't moved. We where both pretty happy with the set up so went straight to deployment. It also used Geoff speacial "Snipers" rule. Basically an Eldar Pathfinder is set up in the middle of the board. He shoots at in each players turn at a target of thier choice.

This time i ended up in the corner where Craig had deployed last game. My army set up pretty much as before with a large phallanx in the centre surrounded my guants. Alex put his Whirlwind in the rear of his quarter with the destructor, both characters and 2 tornados to support it. His left flank was held then by both dreads and the Annhilator.

We then rolled for preliminary bombardment, out of all 16 rolls Alex didn't manage a single 6. Whereas i stunned every single vehicle he had!!!!! (he now says "Flame On" dice are banned from all WPS events :lol: ) Alex took the first turn and basically moved a few units round and shook off all the stunned affects of my rude bombardment. Whilst he used the sniper to knock a wound off a Ravener.
My turn and i advanced forwards, my gunfex got a line on his destructor and re-stunned it. Pretty much everything else just swarmed throught the ruins.
Turn 2 and 2 pods came down for Alex, he landed them on my left flank looking to gun down my gunfex and dakkafex's in the ruins there. The Dreads and Annhilator moved out of cover to assist them whilst on the left the lord charged some termagaunts and the Tornado's took station and blew away both hormaguants. The dreads and pread opened up and brought a dakkafex down to 1 wound. The Pods then put thier fire in and killed him off (managed at last to pass some cover saves vs alex). His whirlwind blew up some hormaguants and then we moved to the assult phase. The wolf lord fluffed his attacks and ended up taking a wound and losing combat vs the termaguants! WHOOOT :D
I retaliated by moving my Dakkafex and both tyrants into postion to fire upon the greyhunters. 2 Hormaguant broods moved into charge the surviors. Whislt my other HG brood and Warriors lined up to take down the Lord in CC. After a ton of devourer shots there was a scant handful of huntrers left who then got promptly charge and hacked up by the hormaguants leaving only 3 surivors. My flytyrant blew up a pod whilst my gunfex took down the MM speeder and the other took out a Tornado. The wolf lord met the business end of rending and died a horrbile death. Though after a pitul 1" consolidate my warriors where feeling exposed lookng at a Tornado and destructor without any cover to hide in.
Turn 3 and Alex's last pod came down in the ruins beside the Warriors, while the Wolf scouts came on the flank near my flying tyrant. Again he opened fire this time targeting my Flying tyrant with all the AP3+ weapons he could point. I failed all my cover saves again and it was only the wolf scouts missing with thier melta that saved him with a wound remaing. Alex used the Sniper to again shoot a ravener and again took the last wound of it (thats 2 raverners down to the snipers now!). My warriors predicably died to the grey hunters and destructor whilst the Tornado rended his way through 2 wounds ouf my gunfex and then my ability not to pass saves this game saw him dying to the hvy bolter rounds.
My turn 3 and my flying tyrant moved against the remaing grey hunters on the left, killing them and consolidating behind the pod to hide from all those lascannons. The dakka tyrant killed off all the wolfscouts (12 wounds!) whilst my gunfex missed his chance to hurt the Pread annhilator. I now realised that splitting my force was a mistake and my right flank had collapsed and my left was in danger of doing so. Had to start looking towards conserving units and holding buildings.
Turn 4 and alex continued to pummel my right flank with the tornado/destructor and whirlwind. His runepriest came into play and charged the hormagaunts holding a building there. Whilst on the left some luck went my way and all his hvy weapons bounced off my dakkafex which was getting a bit close to his dreads. I then remind Alex about the sniper, he notices he can target the Flying Tyrant, does so, rolls a 6 to make the shot AP2, wounds and BANG thats my Flying Tyrant dead! GODDAMN I HATE THAT SNIPER! He finished the turn by charging my dakkafex with his dread. I had 2 wounds left, Alex had 3 attacks hitting on 3's and wounding on 2's.... he fluffs it! My Fex lands a bow, ok S9+2D6 armour pen..... double 1!!!! SHIT!
My turn, i moved the gunfex through the ruins and took out his last tornado in revenge for loosing the warriors on my left. The rest of my army moved towards buildings and my termagaunts chased a grey hunter that had fled combat but failed to kill him with their fleshborers. Combat and the Runepreist finished off all the Hormaguants on the left (SHIT! i now only hold 2 buildings and have 5 scoring units left) whilst my stealers tried a brave gambit to turn the game my way and attacked the Ven dread. They totally fluffed everything and the dread battered them in CC, killing them all due to outnumbering. BUGGER that was not the plan. Meanwhile the dread and fex again fluffed all thier attacks and both where left standing.
Turn 5; Alex moved his destructor into a ruin to claim it, but imobolised himself - YEAH! His Ven Dread moved towards a building on his left flank whilst the Annilator pummled my hormaguants on my left bringing them below scoring. His Rune priest then charged my final HG unit in my rear corner and started hacking them down to non scoring.
My turn and i made a rather rash move. For some reason i moved my warriors out of the central building they where holding anc charged the Ven dread - they fluffed it and i lost 2 of them! Ok why did i do that? I have just given up an objective?????? Was a bit annoyed at myself now, once i made the move i realised what i did and wondered why an earth i had done it. Meanwhile the Dread/Fex combat finally came to a resoltion - YAAAAR! my fex blew the dread to pieces!
Turn 6; Alex layed into my dakkafex that had now moved into a building but the monsters luck held and he kept hold of his remaining wound. WHOOT. His Whirlwind managed to take the building where the Destructor had failed and his greyhunters consolidated into another building. In combat the Runepreist hacked the HG's down to the last 2 models, again making them non scoring and me loosing an objective. Whislt the Ven dread and warriors missed each other and remaing locked.
So that no put it at 2 buildings each to me and Alex, where 2 Turns ago i had 5 Buildings!!!!
My last turn and i had to pull something out the hat. I saw his Runepriest was close to the Gunfex, rolled a 4 on the difficult terrain. OK time for a re-roll.... 6! Ok time for another to charge... 5, ohh not enough. OK re-roll..... 6! GO FLAME ON DICE!!!! My Fex made CC and promplty stomped the runepriest reclaiming the building. The warriors held the ven dread with one wound left on the final warrior and that was the game over.
This meant i had 3 buildings to Alex's 2. YES!

Final Score was 20-12 to me. Without a doubt this was the most hard thought game of the tourney. But even so was really good fun and we had plenty of laughs (like the drop pod doors killing Hormagaunts!).

So that in all put me on 144 tourney points, the next nearst was Neil on 100 odd so that basically meant i had won the tounrey!!!!

YAAAAAARRRRR!!!!

So time for a nice relaxed final game, hey i may even go easy on the opponent.....

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i was planning to easy on my last opponent.... Well shame it was Matt/Longbeard then wasn't it! LOL! :lol:

Matt had spent all weekend grumbling about how wrong my nids are, especailly the devourer tryant. And had grumbled even more so about city fight, especially my nids in city fight. So was probably Karma that he had to face me in the final game :twisted:

Matt's list was:

Chaplain with Jump Pack
Full DC with Jump Pack
5 Termies with Asscannon
8 Strong Vet Assault Squad with 2 flamers and 2 fists
5 Assault Marines with Fist
5 Assault Marines with Fist
5 Tac Marines with Melta in Rhino
5 Tac Marines with Melta in Rhino
MMelta Attack Bike
MMelta Attack Bike
MMelta Attack Bike
Baal

The mission was Urban Assault; a variation of take and hold. Each player nominates a building to defend and the oppoent must take it to win.

I again followed my tactic of setting up all my TMC's in a large phallanx in the centre of my army behind the central building with the gaunts and warriors on the flanks of them. Matt went for his patented castle behind the biggest ruin in his depolyment zone. Again i got away scot free from preliminary bombardment whilst much to matts disgust i stunned all his Baal, Pread and one of his rhinos :D Matt then placed some sewer counters down to bring his termies on through.

I got the first turn and so began my careful advance (i didn't want to get close enough yet to invite a massed charge out of Matt's castle) with the TMC's holding the centre. One of my gunfex's got a line on Matts Baal and promptly imbolised and stunned it again.
Matt responded by moving a rhino into a mobile terrain blocking postion on my right flank with his usual tactic of putting EVERY jumppack marine right behind it. The unstunned pread moved out to take a shot at the Gunfex that had broken the Baal, and matt promptly rolled a 1 :D Finally he moved his 3 bikes to the extreme right of the board to gain a flanking move on my TMC's.
Turn 2 saw me again suffle my forces fowards taking care to keep 18" away from the massed jump packs hiding behind the rhino. My raveners both tried to break cover towards the bikes but rolled 1's and 2's for their fleet leaving them in the open. Whilst my gunfex's imbolised both the blocking rhino and the Pread that had just shot at them. Also i used one of the HG broods to form a massive conga line covering the 3 sewer outlets in my deployment zone around my defended building.
Matt then moved his now unstunned Rhino into a blocking postion on my left (basically repeating what had failed on the right) and moved all his Jump Packs towards it (again very predicable - sorry Matt your tactics and style are). His pread and bikes ruthlessly gunned down the Raveners than his other Pread again failed to hurt the gun fex.
Turn 3 i moved my devourer carrying TMC's towards the immobile rhino and his defended building (the one he had castled behind). The gunfex's both took station in the central ruin with my medicae and blasted the guns off the Pread facing them and nuking the 2nd blocking rhino. My devourers mde short work of the the other immobile rhino whilst the rest of my army advanced again.
Matts turn saw him come out of his castle! Well it was that or loose so i had really forced his had by now. His DC broke cover towards my termagaunts on the left flank, charged them and happily killed 10 out of 14. Also his MM bikes and last pread ripped 3 wounds of the Dakkafex holding my right flank.
Turn 4 - COUNTER CHARGE! I demonstrated my charge engineering to Matt (sorry dude what i was doing was correct, you do know this) engineering it to get my stealers, one warrior brood and a HG brood all into CC with the DC. The rest of my army took station in the central medicae building and my wounded fex went after the bikes in a hope to kill one before he died - which thankfully he did. The counter charge was bloody and Matt was down to 4 DC after the dust settled in exchange for some HG's and 4 stealers. The Gunfex's continued their pumling of the pread and removed its final hvy bolter.
Matt's turn consisted of killing off the wounded Dakkafex and shuffling his castle around whilst he waited for the DC fight to come to a conclusion (he knew that if he sent the vet assault marines out now, they would kill some stealers but then get my whole army charging them. The DC combat went more to matt this time, i lost 2 warriors, my last stealers and he brought my HG's down to 4 models. But in return he lost 2 more DC so was down to 2 himself.
Turn 5: I charged my next HG unit into the DC fight to finish it off whilst again i consolidated my postion around the central building. It was at this point i moved my Flytyrant forwards to hopefully entice Matt's assault units out ready for the rest of my force to charge in and kill him in the final turn. The DC finally fell to the massed HG's and the now wounded Chaplain died due to outnumbering.
Finally Matt's terminators arrived coming out near the flying tyrant. His last pread moved into his "defending" building and the Vet assault squad postioned themselves to charge. After the shooting Phase Matt brought the Flytyrant down to 1 wound. All he had to do was pass a Ld9 test to charge it (all tyrants have "The Horror" which means units must past Ld tests to charge them).... guess what, yep he rolled a 10 and his vets quaked in fear infront of the mighty pink winged beastie. :D :D :D :D
Turn 6: I charged the winged tyrant over his castle into some tactical marines nearby in an effort to claim some VP's before he died. Whilst the rest of my TMC's positioned themselves to shoot up the vets and termies before the victorious Warriors and HG brood charged them. The Dakkatyrant began proceedings and felled 4 out of the 5 termies with his 12 shots! (Matt really really really hates that model now) whilst the 2 Gunfex's and Dakkafex took out both of Matt's vet powerfist with some cheeky torrents/LOS sniping. The HG's and warriors charged in and totally annhilated the Vets with the HG's moving onto the sole surviving terminator.
Matt spent his 6th turn shooting all his guns at the last warrior from the DC/Vet killing brood who had now moved into the objective building (and was claiming it as you only need to be above 25% unit strength to be scoring in cityfight) but after some nifty cover saves he still stood there!
Meanwhile both his Assault squads charged the Flying tyrant who had killed the tactical squad and only just managed to take the final wound off him.
So game over? Well karma struck Matt down again and we got a 7th turn. I used this to blast one of his assault squads with the Dakkatyrant, whilst the other one went down to Fleshborers and a Dakkafex. The Pread and Baal finally died to the gunfexs, my HG's finished the Terminator and the 2 Attack bikes got taken out by the other HG's and warriors.
The game was over and all Matt had left was his final Pread.
YAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!! Pink nids rule.

Final score 30-2 :D and the Britcon Warhammer "future" Battles title was without a doubt mine. The King is dead (Matt was last years champion), long live the King!

So the weekend was over, i collected my carved piece of soap (well thats what we have nicknamed the trophies) and got to laugh as Matt/Longbeard was awarded "Most Sporting Player" but then had his title stripped from him on the spot as he had gone home (in Britcon if you aint there to get your award they give it to someone else :lol:)!!!!

Thanks again to Geoff for organising everything and my 6 opponents for some great games. See you all next year.

YAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man, you were a total juggernaut! Congrats! And extra kudos for doing it with Tyranids! :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts