·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
The new models don't look like emotionless robotic killing machines though
Yeah because:

and

and

and

Don't have the appearance of cold, calculating, inhuman machines that lack any form of emotion. You can totally read emotion on those faces...

especially the new flayed ones
The new flayed one's retain the cold emotionless machine you claim to want. Just like the flayed ones of old, the new ones flay and wear the skin of living beings, but in addition they also festoon themselves with body parts and bones. I don't know about you, but I think thats even more terrifying because I get even more of a picture of what they are going to be doing to my body once they get me.

And I was talking about having an army background from the current codex that reflects what Imperial minds believed the Necrons to be in the original codex.

Reactions: Haskanael

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah because:

and

and

and

Don't have the appearance of cold, calculating, inhuman machines that lack any form of emotion. You can totally read emotion on those faces...

The new flayed one's retain the cold emotionless machine you claim to want. Just like the flayed ones of old, the new ones flay and wear the skin of living beings, but in addition they also festoon themselves with body parts and bones.
They are a bit "advanced" and "pristine" for the oldest race in 40k though. About the flayed ones, what? They look like something out of a cartoon. They are not menacing at all, the reason they are feared at all is the fact that anyone who sees them dies of laughter. In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only...cartoony looking models

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, in my opinion, of course, these lords have way too many unnecessary details and embellishments, mainly on the staffs or capes, that detract from the cold machine killer theme

·
Registered
6 Posts
Then use the older ones?
The problem with that would be gw only sells 1 lord from its old style currently, and it would be boring to have the same lord in the same army multiple times, for me anyway. Also, it means you have to get them second hand off ebay or the like, it would just be a whole lot easier (for me, I appreciate not for a lot of others) to make the new lords have the old style.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
eBay

The problem with that would be gw only sells 1 lord from its old style currently, and it would be boring to have the same lord in the same army multiple times, for me anyway. Also, it means you have to get them second hand off ebay or the like, it would just be a whole lot easier (for me, I appreciate not for a lot of others) to make the new lords have the old style.
eBay would be a hassle, and I would imagine all the old style ones are in metal. Have fun keeping the paint on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In case anyone is interested in the poll results so far
48 Votes in total

'What necron fluff is better, 3rd edition or 7th edition?'
3rd Edition - 30 votes (62.5%)
7th edition - 18 votes (37.5%)

You can still vote here : http://goo.gl/6MiUOT

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm no Necron player but I have to admit the old Pariah models looked very cool and as much as I like the new 'Canoptek Wraiths' I prefer the old, simpler and IMO more menacing looking Wraiths

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm getting a little confused about this claim : it's obviously not only a matter of look, as discussions have spread upon army lists, and that the question of the poll attached to the petition is related to the Necrons' fluff.

- The army list point seems to have been solved by @darkreever who posted official formations allowing to play Necrons as they were in 3rd Edition.

- The fluff concern is probably something where nothing can be done. W40K background is always evolving and, yes, they have developed a basic "killer robots" background into something far more detailed (which does not prevent players to use them as killer robots, though). It's the same as for the World Eaters, who were first just presented as "mindless killers", and for the Horus Heresy in general (and at larger scale, with 30 novels and a lot of short stories and audio drama expanding and detailing the basic fluff).

- Now, the miniatures : who really thinks that a 100 signatures petitions could make GW change models they have probably spent months (years ?) to set up ? It's nowadays possible for people to bypass official miniatures they don't like, whether by customizing them (not mounting the "bling-bling" parts and using green stuff to replace them of fill the gaps) or by buying other "count as" miniatures of the same scale (not necessarily from FW or GW ... http://www.warlordgames.com/terminator-genisys/ , for instance).

Another solution could be to launch a crowdfunding project (kickstarter, ulul, ...) for creating "killer robots" miniatures that would match the needs and desires of people not happy with the current Necrons serie.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
You still have options. The plain looking lord model is easy to make out of plastic necrons using the lychguard kit. You won't be using lychguard anyway so the slight level of embellishment is suitable.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
- The army list point seems to have been solved by darkreever who posted official formations allowing to play Necrons as they were in 3rd Edition.
Thanks, but that was @ntaw not me.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts