Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot on the heels of the Tomb Kings, the entire Bretonnia range have now acquired the dreaded red skull hour glass. Quite a lot from the Empire, Dwarves and High Elves have been assigned it too.

It's a real shame, Brets were always one of my fave armies, just sad to see it all going. Still don't like or agree with AOS. Total War: Warhammer is just getting more and more appealing and nostalgic with every announcement.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
I think it a tragedy that fantasy got killed off, in my youth I started off collecting empire, before falling out of the hobby and returning with 40k, I remember seeing Bretonnians for the first time in an issue of white dwarf (which I think I still have) with Andy Chambers own army, thinking this the coolest thing ever along with his skaven.

Is there another decent system out there that covers fantasy wargaming?

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
I think it a tragedy that fantasy got killed off, in my youth I started off collecting empire, before falling out of the hobby and returning with 40k, I remember seeing Bretonnians for the first time in an issue of white dwarf (which I think I still have) with Andy Chambers own army, thinking this the coolest thing ever along with his skaven.

Is there another decent system out there that covers fantasy wargaming?
I heard Kings of war was pretty good.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I appreciate some may just be getting rebased. But pretty sure Brets are done.
The name is, that's for sure. Hard to get IP rights on such a ubiquitous moniker. Is there anything aside from old minis getting pulled to show that they have no future place in AoS?

I hope that the people who didn't see this coming and kept telling us that we shouldn't complain about the wonderful change to AoS, because nothing was stopping us from playing warhammer 'our way', finally understand our resentment and bitterness.
Complain on! Resentment and bitterness is what holds Heresy together, chirping on the internet is the way and the light brother :laugh:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My guess is that eventually, we will see an Imperial Guard equivilant to AoS in the form of an Empire/Bret amalgum. If Sigmarites = Space Marines, then Empier+Bretonnia=Imperial Guard.

If Archaon is still around, and Slayers are still around, why wouldn't we see a reiteration of Bretonnians?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well here'so the thing. There is no Bretonnia, so there are no Bretonnians. What there are are a variety of human tribes,clans and civilisations from all over the Mortal Realms, collectively known as Free People's. Now, while yes, these Free People are generally represented by former Empire models, there is no reason if you have Bretonnian models that you can'take also use them to represent a different style of Free People. One group of human, lance armed, heavy cavalry is functionally largely the same as another, as is a block of spear welding infantry.

You could even claim your army to be from a human civilisation that settled in the Realms of Life and pretty much recreate Bretonnia in the new world as you see fit. Sure it'd be homebrew but that shouldn't be a big deal.

And if you don't like the Free People's rules in the new Battle tome. There's still a full set of Bretonnian warscrolls. You could even mix the two.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My guess is that eventually, we will see an Imperial Guard equivilant to AoS in the form of an Empire/Bret amalgum. If Sigmarites = Space Marines, then Empier+Bretonnia=Imperial Guard.

If Archaon is still around, and Slayers are still around, why wouldn't we see a reiteration of Bretonnians?
Empire have always = Imperial Guard. Just like High Elves have always = Eldar, Chaos Warriors = Chaos Space Marines, Dark Elves = Dark Eldar, Orcs = Orcs and Tomb Kings = Necrons. I'might certain the future will see new human models.

The reason they won'the be Bretonnian, is because their style and fluff was so heavily based in real life Medieval Europe and Arturian legend, things GW can not claim copyright on.

Archon, Chaos, Dwarf Slayers and many other elements are more unique to GW IP and can be protected. That is why those elements have returned.

This I believe is a large part of why AoS is so different to WHFB.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What would be nice is if people would give GW the finger and refuse the last chance to buy stuff.

But Nooo, people are too stupid to do that, meanwhile GW can axe whatever they want knowing that they can sell off the stock at full price.

I can tolerate price increases, I could tolerate things being made to order.

This is intolerable.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What would be nice is if people would give GW the finger and refuse the last chance to buy stuff.

But Nooo, people are too stupid to do that, meanwhile GW can axe whatever they want knowing that they can sell off the stock at full price.

I can tolerate price increases, I could tolerate things being made to order.

This is intolerable.

I don't understand. We are entitled to a discount because the stock is limited?

All GW have done is said "We will not be selling these anymore, here is your last chance to buy them"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I'd rather they give GW the finger by refusing to buy the NEW stuff. Mind you, I suspect they might be... I'm waiting for their next two half year reports. The last one - which effectively covered the start of Age of Sigmar - actually saw revenue drop a bit, though specifics are never given so it's still hard to tell if GWs Age of Sigmar gambit has started paying off or backfiring horribly.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I don't understand. We are entitled to a discount because the stock is limited?

All GW have done is said "We will not be selling these anymore, here is your last chance to buy them"
I never said a word about wanting a discount,

I don't want people buying squatted armies period.

It's giving money to GW that they don't deserve, people send thousands of dollars on their armies, then GW turns around and declares they don't exist.

So now if they want to play in a tournament they have to buy an all new army.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Still makes very little sense to me. Guess it's why I do not participate in threads that descend into nonsensical vitriolic babbling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Still waiting to hear one good thing about AoS. So far, I've heard it's an excuse for power-gaming Noobhunters to spend obscene money on OP models, convince new players with a boxed set that they're 'even', and faceroll them.

In other words, AoS looks like it's tailored to the worst of tabletop gamers.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Still waiting to hear one good thing about AoS. So far, I've heard it's an excuse for power-gaming Noobhunters to spend obscene money on OP models, convince new players with a boxed set that they're 'even', and faceroll them.

In other words, AoS looks like it's tailored to the worst of tabletop gamers.
honestly depends on the people in your area I think. in my area a lot of people simply use their old fantasy armies for AoS or start one of the new ones, there are very few WTF OP models and those that are around are mostly bought for the pleasure of painting here.

all things considered the gaming group I play with is having a lot of fun with it especialy since the store manager organises regular scenarios

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
honestly depends on the people in your area I think. in my area a lot of people simply use their old fantasy armies for AoS or start one of the new ones, there are very few WTF OP models and those that are around are mostly bought for the pleasure of painting here.

all things considered the gaming group I play with is having a lot of fun with it especialy since the store manager organises regular scenarios

This is pretty accurate. The rules are so minimal in AoS that power gaming seem kind of pointless. The whole OP model thing was some silly myth the internet cooked up back before the started set even released, that I guess is STILL being perpetuates(?) despite the total lack of point system.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This whole thing is a real shame- mostly because the Green Knight was among the best minis Games Workshop ever produced.

Sure, it is old, but GW is still producing quite a few minis that are older. It is a real shame to see it go.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Still waiting to hear one good thing about AoS.
It's been pretty well received by the dozen or so players in my group so far as I'm aware. No complaints to be heard, heck it's even made me want to build up an army just because I can do whatever the hell I want with the collection and play it as is.

The 'worst' of table top games care not for the system, only their own idea of fun (which usually doesn't brook much room for anyone else's enjoyment of the match).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts