Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a variation of an old Thousand Sons list I've posted before.

Those that know me know that I'm very anti-demon in my Thousand Sons. I play them all sorcery and arcane power, no demonic corruption. They way they meant to be in a perfect world, pre Heresy and such. The Ideal. But on the other hand, I have a bit of a crush on Be'Lakor. So what's a guy to do?

Use the new Sigmarite Prime model as a Demon Prince. Win! So with that in mind...

2000 points Crimson Slaughter CAD

Sorcerer - Terminator Armor, Balestar of Manaan, Sigil of Corruption, Force Staff, Combi-Plasma, Melta Bombs, Mark of Tzeentch

Be'Lakor

Thousand Sons - 8+1

Thousand Sons - 8+1

Thousand Sons - 8+1

Noise Marines - 5+1, 1 Blastmaster, 4 Sonic Blasters, Champion with BP/CCW

Noise Marines - 5+1, 1 Blastmaster, 4 Sonic Blasters, Champion with CP/CCW

Heldrake - Baleflamer

Obliterators - 3, MoTz

It's a ranged firebase style list. Sorcerer Deep Strikes in with the Obliterators, or sets up in terrain, and uses Divination to make their shots more accurate. Can also support the Sonic Weaponry squads. I'd make them cheaper with just bolters, but I already have the models carrying sonic blasters.

And Be'Lakor is just that good.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
It looks punchy, but I don't know how it would go on a table top. Perhaps against a codex astartes ultramarines player, but start seeing first company or ravenwing and there's not much AP2 or ignores cover, and nor is there a great deal of anti-armour or flyer.

Would you consider fielding the obliterators separated out into distinct units to give you targetting options?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No reason why I couldn't, I suppose. It was a big group because that way the Sorcerer could hide with them.

With both the Helldrake and Be'L I have some Vector strikes agianst air, though no firepower against them.

Chaos has never had much anti-air, honestly. Not without Flakk launchers. As for Terminators.. that'll be mostly sorcery, I guess. Bolt of Change when I can roll it (and the aspiring sorcerers have a 50/50 chance for it.)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Chaos has never had much anti-air, honestly.
My buddy often ran his Heldrakes with whatever their autocannons are named, giving his lists the punch they needed to deal with my twin Stormravens (which were, in fact, a reaction to his Heldrakes with flamers in 6th).

Or, you know. There's your Fire Raptor :grin:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Or, you know. There's your Fire Raptor :grin:
Ironically, the Fire Raptor (which I'm almost done painting) was going into a different list where I allied in Necrons. it got absolutely no love when I posted it around, and so I decided not to bother sinking any money into conversions for that list.

I could probably drop the Heldrake (my favorite model, so I'd rather not, but... eh) and put in the Fire Raptor, but it would require me to make a few other changes to the list. The bloat is in the Noise Marines, but I'd need new models to remove the Sonic Blasters, or just play with people who are ok with overmodeled units.

Edit:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd have to do. If I drop the two Noise Marine squads to 4+1, 1 Blastmaster and the rest just bolters, I can fit a Fire Raptor with Reapers and Balefire Missiles. No rending though. It's a fairly trim list, not a lot of upgrades past the sorcerer.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Yeah I am pretty much giving up on posting my own lists, it doesn't stop me from thinking that my lists are good in any way though. Got a link for the one where you ally in 'Crons? I'm a bit of a novice zombie robot player myself, got into them the moment they were released as an army. Kinda wish those old metal models hadn't disappeared in all my moves...

Have you thought of just using the Heldrake with the autocannon in its mouth instead of the flamer? I know the flamer is the bee's knees against infantry MEQ or worse but the hades autocannon (finally looked it up) is S8 AP4 Heavy 4....actually a better chance to kill fliers (if you're pointed at them anyway) than a squad of flakk missile losers.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I am pretty much giving up on posting my own lists, it doesn't stop me from thinking that my lists are good in any way though. Got a link for the one where you ally in 'Crons? I'm a bit of a novice zombie robot player myself, got into them the moment they were released as an army. Kinda wish those old metal models hadn't disappeared in all my moves...

Have you thought of just using the Heldrake with the autocannon in its mouth instead of the flamer? I know the flamer is the bee's knees against infantry MEQ or worse but the hades autocannon (finally looked it up) is S8 AP4 Heavy 4....actually a better chance to kill fliers (if you're pointed at them anyway) than a squad of flakk missile losers.

You can find it here.

Yeah, I'd be totally ok with using the Hades drake, as long as my opponent is ok with the fact that it's modeled with the flamer. Honestly, it's a demon, so any weapon it's modeled with should simply represent 'spitting bolts of helfire at the enemy' instead of breathing a torrent, but that's me, I like getting creative with my logic. I rarely magnetize, and the one time I successfully did so was with a Knight (BIG magnets).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
If anyone cares that much about the look of the gun coming out of his mouth they need to seriously reevaluate their priorities in life (unless it's a WYSIWYG tourney, then shape up or ship out I guess). Just googled the sprue and they barely look different not to mention where it is in the mouth one would hardly notice. I love me some good magnets, though haven't ever needed anything more than 2/3mm in diameter. Always wanted a Knight but never wanted to be that guy putting one on a table under 2k (and I rarely get to play even that much). Would definitely get some knuckle sized magnets for that one! By the way, every time I think of magnets:

:rofl: oh man. Those guys.

Ahem. Right. I think if you were really worried about anti air that's your 'quick fix'. As well, DSing Oblits everywhere is the bane of my life currently. Even doing two with your Sorcerer and keeping one handy to drop as a wild card could be game altering in throwing your opponent off balance.

EDIT: since seeing your idea of using the SigPrime elsewhere, I've been thinking of using him as a Sanguinius conversion...but after looking at some swanky conversions think I could do better with the existing plastic kits and my powers of GS (lol, I know) than basing it off him. I do like those wings though...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
since seeing your idea of using the SigPrime elsewhere, I've been thinking of using him as a Sanguinius conversion...but after looking at some swanky conversions think I could do better with the existing plastic kits and my powers of GS (lol, I know) than basing it off him. I do like those wings though...
I had considered using the 'lesser' winged Sigmarines as Warp Talons or Necron Praetorians (see the other list, which I now realize didn't even have the Fire Raptor.... 5 in each squad of Praetorian instead of 7 was enough points for a fully kitten Fire Ratpor instead of the Heldrake). I've seen a few Sanguinus conversions that meshed numerous layers of those wings together.

If I could remove the hammer (it's an aesthetic thing; I hate hammers and will put a sword any day of the week instead) and perhaps replace it with an Eldar Wraithlord Glaive, perhaps, I think I'd have an awesome looking Be'Lakor, especially because I intend to convert that Balestar sorcerer out of the Lord Castellant.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Wow man, these are some sweet ideas being thrown around!

Fire raptors are awesome, they tempt me towards playing a space marine army rather strongly... although, I DO actually already own Chaos space marines who need a serious revamp...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow man, these are some sweet ideas being thrown around!

Fire raptors are awesome, they tempt me towards playing a space marine army rather strongly... although, I DO actually already own Chaos space marines who need a serious revamp...
Who needs a Space Marine Fire Raptor?

Sorry, couldn't resist plugging the conversion model again.

Back to the original list... a Heldrake with a Hades would handle most of my anti-air. I'd still have some issues against TEQ, but again, that's what (I'm hoping) Bolt of Change would be for. But Sons have always had lots of AP3 and not enough anything else...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. A sleeker version of the Fire Raptor, more fitting (to me) of a gunship, instead of a giant transport like the Storm Eagle. ntaw saw it in the conversion contest, which is why he brought it up, knowing I had some anti-air for it. :) I may build another one like that for a Stormraven soon.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
With all the AP3 you have in inferno bolt form, why the Blastmasters too, rather than some more dedicated AT, or something? I mean, blastmasters are great, don't get me wrong (I rather prefer them to inferno bolts and the package they come with, honestly, but... I figure the 1ksons are a non-negotiable part of your 1kson list), but you're specializing even further into the one "MEq hate" niche there, with the Heldrake to boot.

If you're scrounging for points, I might drop the SoC on the sorc. I know, a 3++ is nice, but you already are stacking the termi armor and the MoT, so... also paying full price on the SoC for a mere +1 to the save is a bit steep, perhaps. Your call, of course.

My only real issue with a HACdrake is the BS3, though I suppose a Balestar Sorc goes some way to mitigate that... if you're willing to lose out on casting Prescience anywhere else rather than take an auto-hitting flamer.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the most part, the Noise Marines had been around for quite a while. Back since 3rd/4th Edition. I've had the models since then, when a 'Noise Havoc' was an Elites choice, etc etc. I simply don't have other options. Yet, at least. I have more Obliterators, so I could run them instead of the Noise Marines, but I was simply trying to fit them back into my list instead.

There really aren't a lot of options in Chaos for anti-tank that's not tanks, and I try to run mostly infantry. Funds-related most days. What would you suggest to fill that role?

Also, I have a very crazy idea: what about running a Crimson Death eldar flier formation? They handle the anti-air AND some amazing anti-tank, but (without looking quickly) they'd be Desperate or probably come the Apoc... but they'd always be far away, zooming around.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With all the AP3 you have in inferno bolt form, why the Blastmasters too, rather than some more dedicated AT, or something? I mean, blastmasters are great, don't get me wrong (I rather prefer them to inferno bolts and the package they come with, honestly, but... I figure the 1ksons are a non-negotiable part of your 1kson list), but you're specializing even further into the one "MEq hate" niche there, with the Heldrake to boot.

If you're scrounging for points, I might drop the SoC on the sorc. I know, a 3++ is nice, but you already are stacking the termi armor and the MoT, so... also paying full price on the SoC for a mere +1 to the save is a bit steep, perhaps. Your call, of course.

My only real issue with a HACdrake is the BS3, though I suppose a Balestar Sorc goes some way to mitigate that... if you're willing to lose out on casting Prescience anywhere else rather than take an auto-hitting flamer.
Came up with another idea. Which doesn't exactly mitigate the Ap3 (actually it adds to it), but it seems like it might be fun to harass people with:

2000 points Crimson Slaughter CAD

Sorcerer - Terminator Armor, Balestar of Manaan, Force Staff, Combi-Bolter, Melta Bombs, Mark of Tzeentch

Be'Lakor

Thousand Sons - 8+1, Melta Bombs

Fire Raptor Gunship - Reaper Autocannons w/ Malefic Ammo, Balefire Missiles

Obliterators - 3, MoTz

Obliterators - 3, MoTz

As if the army wasn't already low in model count, I now have a very expensive flier, but I think that once it's on the board it will easily get its points back firing at 3 targets a turn. Plus Be'L, and now 2 squads of Obliterators means more anti-tank as needed. I could split them into pairs but I ran out of Heavy slots.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Very elite and focused. The list might have some trouble with a Guard, Ork or Nid horde of sorts, but otherwise seems pretty flexible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts