Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys just a few questions i can't seem to find an answer for that came up in a game.

1. bound armies are ones pertaining to the same race/codex and their supplements, for instance codex orks and the Gaz supplement is this correct?

2. if i take multiple formations from these codex for instance the green tide and da vulcha squad is my army still considered bound?

3. are all units in a bound army scoring, no longer needing to be just troops choices, or is it only the formations from the BRB that allow all units to score?

the reason for these questions is it came up in a game the other day and because i was using formations my opponent was adament that my army was no longer bound and thus not all my units were scoring. my arguement was that i'm still playing a bound army although it is not using the formation from the BRB, the army fits the description of being bound as far as i'm concerned.

due to this, i lost the game by 2 points because we didn't count the objective my stormboyz were on. i'm not one for playing for sheep stations so i just let it go at that. was just sick and tied of arguing over a game.

was i wrong or right any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Unless I'm interpreting the rulebook wrong. You are correct, a bound army is made from detachments. And the formations listed in the codex and supplement would fall into that.

So yes I'd say the army is bound.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
1. bound armies are ones pertaining to the same race/codex and their supplements, for instance codex orks and the Gaz supplement is this correct?
Battle Forged armies are made up of Detachments, two offerings in the BRB being Combined Arms (the standard go-to of the last decade or so) and Allied (same as in 6th). If you can make up your army entirely legally consisting of these FoCs, a Battle Forged army she be.

2. if i take multiple formations from these codex for instance the green tide and da vulcha squad is my army still considered bound?
I'm unsure of various Codex's ability to ally with themselves. The Space Marine one has very specific rules against it, currently I don't have the wherewithal to research the BRB for more clues/a definite ruling. Formations can be taken in addition to Detachments, another example (forgive my muhreenz-ness) is the Stormwing Formation which specifically consists of a Stormraven and two Stormtalons and operates outside of the FoC of any Detachment so long as you have a Detachment of Space Marines in your army. (I think....kinda drunk and going off the top of my head) Formations are very specific in what they can contain and must be used as described in whatever rule book you found them in.

3. are all units in a bound army scoring, no longer needing to be just troops choices, or is it only the formations from the BRB that allow all units to score?
All units all the time are scoring, unless they have a rule that specifically restricts them from being a scoring unit (I'm looking at you, Death Company). In a Battle Forged army, Troops selections gain the Objective Secured rule: objectives held by a unit with this rule can only be contested by other units with this rule (ish, paraphrasing and such). It's very much worth having, because it passes on to your Dedicated Transports. Awesome.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses guys.
@ntaw enjoy your drinks:good:

i'm still at work got to wait 4 more hours to get my first beer. and i'm hangin for it as it's 32 degrees C here thats about 89 degrees F for you people who don't know the difference :wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
only 89? thats nothing spend a summer down south around texas arkansas or lousiana. It was over a hundred today. But anyway not sure about the formations stuff, but i think you cant ally with your own codex unless your main force is from a supplement like the Codex Black Legion. It states that you may add Codex Chaos Space Marines as an ally and they are considered Battle Brothers....so now i have funsies to make

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Archon Grimherald sorry forgot to mention we are in our "winter" season here in Australia :). in our summer season where i work it around 45 degrees c (113 degrees f) but quite often gets over 50dc (122df) well that's what our work place thermometre stops at anyway. the joys of working on remote sites in outback australia.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it did @ntaw, you did suprisingly well for someone at that time and drinking :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts