Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a lot of info so far, but not good at all. No claims yet either from any Terrorist groups, got to wait out. Hope people are ok though.

Update: At least two dead and twenty three injured so far.

·
Registered
399 Posts
and of course before all the info comes in people are playing the blame game, it's North Korea, It's WBC, it's anti gun people, it's gun people framing the anti gun people...why can't we just stop fighting for one fucking day and deal with this as a country, with peace and respect towards eachother and those lost in the horrible event.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
2 dead now 28 injured some critical...just watched it live on sky CNN channel....bloody hell thoughts go out to families involved

·
Registered
967 Posts
Twenty eight reported injured at the moment.

Boston PD reports two more explosives have been found, which have been detonated in a controlled environment.

Footage here.

I thought it was best to keep the more gruesome images away.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Heard about this in my government class. I thought it was a joke...

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
The news has been going back and forth on the actual # of wounded. When I flipped it on (not sure which news station, Armed Forces Network has random shit most of the time) it said 28 injured, then about an hour later the number had changed to 23 without any explanation, which could be why the stuff people is reading differs.

There were 2 bombs at the finish line at the marathon, then another at the JFK library that detonated.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Lots of misinformation flying around to clutter the air--the NY Post article about a suspect having been caught has been slapped down by a number of different sources as totally fabricated, and judging by what I've heard, the JFK fire was probably not a bomb. There were, however, 2 additional bombs that were dismantled by bomb squads. I've heard lots of "22 injured" early in the day, a number that has more recently been "23 injured."

The city of Boston never shut down phone service (like some reports said, so as to prevent any more bombs from being detonated via cell phone). Instead, the lines and bandwidth available were overwhelmed by people from around the US/world calling to make sure people they knew in Boston were all right--and for future reference, if you know somebody in a disaster area, it would be best to make sure they're all right by sending a text to them, since texts use far less bandwidth.

We still don't know who did it, so pointing figures at Al Queda or muslims extremists (or... North Koreans? Whomever the rumor mill turns up) in general is going to be unproductive--while it may seem likely to have been such, we have no information at this point and it would be embarrassing to point fingers in the wrong direction/stir up ill feeling/invade the wrong country, especially if it turns out to have been something like a mentally ill conspiracy nut operating on his own, or something.

On a more human note--damn. Holy damn. I think it's safe to call this the largest terrorist attack in the US since 9/11. That in addition to this bombing here, more than 30 people were killed and more than a hundred injured in a number of bombings in Iraq today as well--it really drives home all the times we've heard "bombings in ____ today killed ___," but haven't paid that much attention to... it drives home the bloody civil war in Syria and shelling of Syrians by their own government. It makes it a whole lot more immediate to us sheltered civilians here in the US (and I know I'm generalizing here, since more than half of Heresy is British, and also counts among its ranks a high number of serving and retired vets).

Fuck suffering, and the twisted sociopaths who inflict it.

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
From what I hear, there are a lot more dead.

Also, someone I was talking to remarked that it probably wasn't a terrorist group because they would likely strap the bomb to themselves and kill a lot more people from the middle of a crowd.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Just heard on the news that there are 3 dead, the youngest of them being a 8 year old boy and over a 140 wounded, with the youngest being just 2 years old.

·
Embrace the Insanity
1,159 Posts
I just realised that there is going to be a huge paranoia of bins for awhile yet. You'll look into crowds and there will be a nice big gap where ever a bin is.

·
Registered
967 Posts
From what I hear, there are a lot more dead.

Also, someone I was talking to remarked that it probably wasn't a terrorist group because they would likely strap the bomb to themselves and kill a lot more people from the middle of a crowd.
General misconception.

Just because you're a terrorist doesn't mean you have to blow yourself up.

Over the past ten years it has been the most reported form of bombings because it's so extreme but it's not the most common form of bombing.

Damn, eight year old boy dead, his mother and sister in the hospital, the bombs exploded when they were waiting for the father to finish.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I just realised that there is going to be a huge paranoia of bins for awhile yet. You'll look into crowds and there will be a nice big gap where ever a bin is.
Thoughts and prayers for the victims and people of Boston at this time.

@Insanity, in the U.K a lot of bins if not all in public places train stations etc are now just a metal loop with a clear plastic bag hanging out of it to limit shrapnel and make it harder to conceal a bomb, this was due to Irish terrorists, I'm sure U.S authorities will follow suit quickly if indeed the devices where placed in bins.

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
Over the past ten years it has been the most reported form of bombings because it's so extreme but it's not the most common form of bombing.
Aye, I've been around multiple... bombings, shall we say, and only one SVEST.

Watching the news last night I had presumed it was just a backpack with 10-20 pounds of crude explosive (home made type shit at first, but looking at the blast more it looks black powder based). Either way, rather small explosions that are, obviously, the most mobile. Fucked up situation, though not overly shocking due to lack of overall security at this sort of event (since... it's a fucking 26.2 mile zone) and the general fucked up nature of human beings in general.

Another point lost for my faith in the human race... think that makes the tally somewhere, on a scale of 1-10, at about a -38.

·
Registered
257 Posts
General misconception.

Just because you're a terrorist doesn't mean you have to blow yourself up.

I agree, sounds like whoever did this took a leaf out of the IRA's book..

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I agree, sounds like whoever did this took a leaf out of the IRA's book..
Scarily similar, main bomb/bombs with secondaries to catch escapees and emergency services(which the news said where found and eliminated thankfully) and with the bulk of I.R.A now "out of action" due to the peace process in Northern Ireland, there is a lot of free lance I.E.D makers out there as has been witnessed in gang violence here in Ireland and the Middle East

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My heart is pumping salty tears instead of blood. Will the mutilated and the other survivors be taken care of ? I heard most insurance companies have an escape clause in the specific event of a terror attack.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts