Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I am ready to start gluing together my Grey Hunters except for one nagging question, to just Bolt or 2 weapon it. Most photographs I have seen, no matter what chapter including SW's, have at least 5 or 6 of the guys holding a single Bolter. I'm not sure about the other chapters but for Space Wolves with true grit, why would you just take a bolter and not a bolter and CCW for minimal pts?

Can anyone help me understand this? I am ready to start gluing.. :biggrin:

Thanks!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
They donot have to be holding the weapon for it to count as a CCW, so if they have a knife on their belt or a sword laying on the ground then it counts as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Djinn24. That is super helpful. It can be so humbling to be a newbie, especially since I've been gaming for 33 years : ) Yes I own an original copy of "Chainmail".

We'll super psyched on your answer because I like the single Bolter, 2 hands holding it poses for the models a lot better. I also don't want the GH packs looking so much like the BC packs.

I would assume then a Chainsword on the back or knife on teh belt works and then listed on your army sheet, just so everyone is honest of course : )

Thanks again..

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would assume then a Chainsword on the back or knife on teh belt works and then listed on your army sheet, just so everyone is honest of course : )

Thanks again..
Remember we are playing a game that is suppose to be fluid and characters are suppose to be running and jumping around but we have to play them with static models.

Is it to much to think of a guy dropping his bolter to grab his chainsword and boltpistol or to have his boltpistol on his belt and his chainsword on his back but using his bolter when the time hits and switching when they get closer. But yeah that satifies the WYSIWYG rules.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again ALL!
I also came across this exact discussion on another forum only for Chaos Marines. Spying on the enemy of course. Same interpretation but slanted towards their 2 CCW rule and not true Grit. I hope True Grit remains a SW specialty!!

Also, totally amazing, I stopped at a new hobby store last night and he had a box of ozens of past White Dwarfs. It was a total jack pot. I bought 15 of them.
Lo and behold he had issue 244, The issue where they released the SW Codex.
I haven't read it through yet but on the very first page it talks about Grey Hunters.
I found it amazing that it talked about how, yes they were a tactical squad but with a twist. They are designed for close combat too!!! Also carry the standard. "They are truly versatile"..
I've read a lot of people talking about using them very defensively but it seems they are much better geared to the offensive, backing up the BC's with fire and HTH combat support. Really jazzed to tweak my design around a very aggresive assualt, mobile force.. Powerfist, Frost Axes , Bolt Pistols, bolters and CCW's, a live rending wall of death..
Very Roman style like with their up close short sword stabbing tactics..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
yeah i need some cc weapons for my grey hunters.. but if hes wielding a bolter i dont think he gets a extra attack anyway so i dont see the point

do they ?

if a grey hunter charges with a bolter "not bolt pistol" and a power weapon

they get 1 for charging and 1 normally but since a bolter cant be used in cc do hey only get 2 attacks ?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
really ?

i thought a bolter couldnt be used in cc

hw many attacks do they get when they charge if they have a bolter and a ccw

·
Registered
0 Posts
True Grit grants them the 2 CCW bonus at all times, but they recieve no charging bonus if they have a bolter.
If you read the post above you will see that they do not get a charging bonus but recieve a bonus as if having 2 CCW. So they have a base attack of 1 + 1 for 2 CCW regardless of charging or not. In the fluff it states that a bolter with true grip can be wielded in an assault like a BP but is still to large and unwielding to be used like on in the charge because of its size/weight.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
so i get 1 for charging and 1 base anyway

but if i have a ccw i get 1 anyway and 1 for a ccw ?

so its good if i get charged even if i countercharged

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does help to read through all the Codex's, Sm's, SW and 40k rule book..

With all the great help on the forums I thing I understand it now. Here's how I look at it.

Grey Hunters Pack of 9. Some modeled holding a the bolter gun with 2 hands , a holstered Bolt Pistol glued on the hip and a CCW slung across his back. Another might have a knife sheathed on his other hip. Assume all points paid for.

In combat, let's say it's my turn and I am 6 " away from the enemy unit.
I am going to have to decided if I am going to shoot my bolt Guns during the Movemnet Phase/Shoot Phase, because if I do I CAN NOT assault. What I could do is fire my Bolt Pistols and melta gun and then charge. Now I can still keep the Bolt Pistol, draw my CCW or holster the BP and draw my Bolter Gun, either way I am going to get 2 attacks on the enemy. Pretty awesome and powerful from my newbie perspective.
Boy, I hop I got That right..

The one great thing about paying for the CCW & BP & Bolter is if the assault goes a second round, My GH's continue to get the 2 weapon bonus and 2 attacks.. though I guess with the bolter you still get 2 attacks because of rapid fire, hmmm so in the end does it matter? I'd say it would if you had a pwer weapon or powerfist to get the no amour save or double strength bonus, otherwise the teh CCW uses the GH's st which is 4 and the bolter st is 4..

lol, I feel like I just went in a circle.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You use your str value in melee, not the value of the weapon. If you are able to take a BP/CCW and a Bolter then truegrip is kinda pointless. Because you have a BP/CCW you can then charge get the +1 for charging, +1 for 2 weapons and base of 1 for 3. Double check to make sure you can take a Bolter, CCW and BP on the same model please at the same time, if you can then it is pointless to get Truegrip. I do not have the dex so I can not read it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> I model my Grey Hunters with a mix of single bolters, bolters and ccw. I dont use bolt pistols, as Bloodclaws are yer main cc squads. I use my Hunters as my medium range fire support, moving when suitable, and then counter-attacking when needed. This, imho, is what Hunters are for. Close in, then lump the fuck out o yer opponent when he charges you. How many marine tac squads get 2 attacks when they are charged? Just an opinion on the issue.:victory:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You use your str value in melee, not the value of the weapon. If you are able to take a BP/CCW and a Bolter then truegrip is kinda pointless. Because you have a BP/CCW you can then charge get the +1 for charging, +1 for 2 weapons and base of 1 for 3. Double check to make sure you can take a Bolter, CCW and BP on the same model please at the same time, if you can then it is pointless to get Truegrip. I do not have the dex so I can not read it.
Good catches ..
1st yes st of model not weapon in assaulting combat.

2nd- and this exactly why it's been confusing to me,
The dex sez ANy # can replace BP/CCW w/ Bolter & CCW for x pts.
That would make it a choice then versus having a BP in a holster on a model.
BUT, I read several times on forums that you are not limited to how many weapons you can carry, just how many you can fire in any given phase..

Darn, I thought we were so close to a TRUE final ruling....
I do think you make a VERY STRONG case to pick either or, otherwise it does sort of make TRue Grit worthless....

**Firewolf- sounds smart. I don't have nearly enough field experince yet to make any final decisions but I am finding these posts very helpful in preparation..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts