Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://rideapart.com/2013/04/bmw-plans-small-bikes/

Anybody got any strong opinions on this?

Personally I'm all for it. I ride a 2007 BMW f650 GS and I love it. Yes it's heavy (200KG) wet but it's a solid hunk of metal, I crashed it into a ditch at about 80KM an hour and it was cosmetic damage only, mechanically and structure wise it was fine. I can haul all 25 kg of work gear on it on and offroad and unlike most other adventure bikes it's not high seated which is great for a midget like me.

I'm very interested to see what they come up with. Will it be expensive? Probably but at the same time it's a BMW... what do you expect?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on local laws certain license levels can only get access to certain power levels of bikes.

Here in NZ it used to be that Learner and Restricted Riders could only ride up to 250cc bikes. They changed the law last year to allow up to 660CC depending on weight to power ratio (Which meant you ride pretty much anything bar about 3 bikes), its called the LAMS scheme, its in a few countries.

Smaller CC's generally mean less weight, lower price and more accessibility at the trade off of power, fuel tank size and comfort on long rides. I learnt to ride on a 230cc 2 stroke which I had about 4 months then upgraded to the 650. That 230cc had faster acceleration than the 650 but after 2 hours on it on the highway I felt rattled off my bones. Also some of those bigger adventure bikes you can't take as many places off road as you could that little 230.

If you are a cruiser fan sure but I think there is certainly a market for smaller cc sports bikes and adventure tourers.

Put it this way, if BMW comes out with 450cc bike that is similar in purpose to the GS and it weighs less and is cheaper I'd be very tempted to get one once my current ride dies (probably in about 4-5 years).

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
http://rideapart.com/2013/04/bmw-plans-small-bikes/

Anybody got any strong opinions on this?

Personally I'm all for it. I ride a 2007 BMW f650 GS and I love it. Yes it's heavy (200KG) wet but it's a solid hunk of metal, I crashed it into a ditch at about 80KM an hour and it was cosmetic damage only, mechanically and structure wise it was fine. I can haul all 25 kg of work gear on it on and offroad and unlike most other adventure bikes it's not high seated which is great for a midget like me.

I'm very interested to see what they come up with. Will it be expensive? Probably but at the same time it's a BMW... what do you expect?
Not really a BMW fan but I do like their more rugged Dual sports. I think if you are a packer and want to get away for a few days you cannot go wrong with a beamer.

IMO anything below 750 isn't worth owning.
I know the 05' and 06' R6 beat out plenty of 700cc and above bikes not only in speed but in looks and overall performance.

I started (street bikes) on a CBR600rr because it was the only bike at the time that I could ride unaided. Then I took over my brothers 09' R1 had the seat shaved and the suspension adjusted a tad and continue to ride that to this day. The CBR was a more comfortable ride and not becasue of the seat having to be shaved on the R1. But the R1 hands down has the speed and agility over any other bike I have ever ridden.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really a BMW fan but I do like their more rugged Dual sports. I think if you are a packer and want to get away for a few days you cannot go wrong with a beamer.
BMW makes bikes other than dual sports? ;)

I love mine to bits as I say, I was considering taking the "write off" option after the crash but I couldn't see a better alternative readily available. So glad I stuck with it, the other day at work having to lug 25 kg of work kit around on and off road I was so thankful I kept it. I don't think any other bike would have handled it as well for somebody of my height and weight.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
BMW makes bikes other than dual sports? ;)

I love mine to bits as I say, I was considering taking the "write off" option after the crash but I couldn't see a better alternative readily available. So glad I stuck with it, the other day at work having to lug 25 kg of work kit around on and off road I was so thankful I kept it. I don't think any other bike would have handled it as well for somebody of my height and weight.
I know but those are the only BMW ones I like. :)

Tried putting bags on mine very tricky. Then again I have to stop every 30 - 60 minutes and stretch out a bit anyway. Would like to take it to the coast however but that is a long way off as I do not ride in the summer, or really when it is hot out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts