Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello forum,

I was wondering as this question was not answered in the new FAQ on the BL website:

Possession page 195 of rule book.

Can the Blue-Scribes use this power? The Blue-scribes are not a Psyker nor have the Psyker special rule. Their 'Scrolls of sorcery' special rule explicitly says that they are NOT AFFECTED by special rules that target Psykers also... (And in FAQ).

Not Affected is not the same as unable to use... But I do feel they should have to die for the power to work where else would the big baddies come from...oh wait manifested from the scroll! (NO SORRY)

This comes into play as the power 'Possession' states, "If this power is successfully manifested, the Psyker is immediately removed as a casualty..."

I would like a free Chic'kun thou..... Or perhaps no Chic'kun at all :(

But that would seem like a dick move (spawning a free Greater Daemon) haha but you do have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling it....

So....Discuss!

EDIT: IF WHAT I WAS SAYING WAS UNCLEAR HERE:

BLUE SCRIBES ARE NOT PSYKERS, POSSESSION REQUIRES THE CASTER (SPECIFICALLY SAYS PSYKER)TO BE REMOVED... THEY ARE NOT A PSYKER (SEE THE PROBLEM) SO DOES THE POWER NOT WORK AS THEY CANT BE TURNED INTO A GREATER DAEMON OR DO YOU GET A FREE PASS AND THEREFORE A GD WITHOUT THE SCRIBES DYING?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They aren't Psykers at all though. They are not listed as Psykers in their rules anywhere even when manifesting a power as they do not use/ create warp charge points... No mastery level... or roll for a psychic test. All of which are necessary for being classified as a Psyker.

I would play it however that they do become possessed and the spell is successful although technically it is incorrect.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
If they manifested a power that stated "the psyker gains..." They would gain that bonus as well. It's just worded that way because for most situations the caster IS a psyker.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is a technical one. They are not the psyker, they have many magical scrolls that when they read them causes the spell to manifest.
I would say either the spell fails as the Greater Daemon as said in the text above needs a host body to take control of.
OR
The spell summons the Greater Daemon but in doing so takes the Blue Scribes as the closest host that it can attached it self to.

I would say that without the sacrifice of the "lesser soul" the daemon could not manifest itself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
you could argue that as they are manifesting the psychic power, they should be treated as a psyker for the purposes of resolving the spell (though for no other purposes, such as weapons or rules that damage psykers), as if they weren't then most of the blessings that they could manifest would be useless

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that's how I would play the scribes - as if they were a Psyker - only when activating the scrolls but it's just the technical wording of it. I figured somebody at GW would notice.

I know what it's meant to say its just they didn't FAQ it. How the rule is stated without putting in ones own thought is clear; this meaning most of the spells would be useless as they state Psyker.

But yes for all purposes they should only be a Psyker when they manifest a power. Though I do like the idea of possessing a replacement....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Well look at the section where it tells you what each of the different powers do, the witchfire powers state that the psyker must be able to see the target unit - by your logic the blue scribes are not psykers so therefore cannot fire any witchfire as they are not Psykers. Or beams, it says draw a line from the psyker's base so where do you draw the line from? It just says theyare not psykers for the purposes of special rules, e.g. rules that affect psykers such as generating warp charge or +1 for deny the witch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just the wording is all - we all know how it's meant to be played yet it says nowhere that they are not in fact a Psyker anywhere- adding any additional thought other than what is written is not following the rules.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah the wording is ambiguous but if you take it l=one way they cannot do anything, if you take it another then some weird situations arise. But I think if you treat them as psykers for the purposes of manifesting the power and that's it then everything else should be clear, as manifesting a power is not a special rules just an effect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts