Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Commissar Ploss reviews Bloodborn. The first novel in the series Ulrika the Vampire, by Nathan Long.

http://www.thefoundingfields.com/2010/08/bloodborn-by-nathan-long-review.html (don't forget to follow TFF as well!)

Admittedly, this book was my very first venture into the world of Warhammer Fantasy Battles literature. I've been a stauch 40k reader and player since i've been able to hold a blast template, and therefore have not really attempted to sail out from that island of familiarity.

I'm not sure exactly what compelled me pick up Bloodborn. It's all the more unnatural when you consider that i am not a subscriber to the "vampire craze" that seems to be sweeping the world lately. Especially when they are all emotional basket cases, have serious attitude problems, and sparkle gallantly in the sun...

That said, i found this book both extremely enjoyable, and generally enthralling.

Bloodborn gets going right from the start. We're introduced to the novel's protagonists Ulrika Magdova, and her mentor, Countess Gabriella von Nachthafen, within the first few pages. The characterization in this novel was superb. I had no trouble imagining each character in the book, nor did their appearance change in my mind at any time. Strong characterization is something few authors can do consistently.

There is a mystery to be solved within this story. Our protagonists are whisked away to a city called Nuln, where a creature is wreaking havoc among the vampires in the area and threatening to expose their existence to the world. It is here that Mr. Long describes the hierarchy of Vampire society in a very easy to understand way. For someone who has never delved into the lore of the Old World, i found myself able to keep up with the things that were happening.

The pace was quick, but not so much that i had a hard time following. Nathan successfully conveyed the underlying sense of urgency in the book by never slowing or muddying things up with unneeded explanation, and pointless filler.

There was no "cookie-cutter" feel to the action either. And each scene was as exciting as it was unpredictable. VERY! Never knowing what was around each corner is partly what kept me reading. The vampires must discover who or what is preying on them, lest they all be destroyed. I found myself wanting them to find the culprit, i couldn't help it. Nathan makes you hope, he makes you yearn for them to win out the day. He feeds you bits of info with each passing page, yet never giving away too much of the plot until the very end and WHAM! everything falls into place.

The book wrapped up very well. It closed plot devices while opening up more for the next book. I really wanted to keep reading, but alas, with page 411 came the end of the book...

If the next novel in the series, Bloodforged, is anything like this one, it promises to be a rousing read that will be hard to put down.

Nathan Long has written a captivating, seductive, blood-sucker of a story.

My Rating: 8 / 10

Reason: I enjoyed the story thoroughly, as it clearly emphasizes the emotions that plague Ulrika, as she is only just learning to understand the situation she is in, and how to harness the new powers that she has, while discovering ones she does not yet know she possesses. The characterization was superb, action clean, and pacing steady. However, there were some editorial mistakes (most notably a few name swaps) that took away from the story, snapping me from the trance the narrative had placed me in. Therefore, i can not in good conscience give the story the 9 it deserves. Were it pristine in editorial marksmanship, i probably would have done so. I was also pleased to see the true nature of a vampire's relationship with the sun play through in sections. The charring, burning, boiling, ultimately apocalyptic nature with which the sun persecutes its unsuspecting vampiric victims. No sparkles here.

Should you buy this book? YES

remember! www.thefoundingfields.com Follow!

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Whats this, a review that is actually a review and not just spoiler after spoiler or a complete summary of the book? And its absolutely superb no less, simply glorious.

I haven't been on the fence about getting this one, but for some time there has always been something keeping me from actually getting it. Well next time I come across I'll have to make sure I leave with a copy.

Beautifully done Ploss, when I started reading this it did a good job of pulling me in and making me want more than the merest bits your review taunted me with. Hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to see more reviews like this in the future, to fuel my desire to obtain or reread other Black Library works.

·
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats this, a review that is actually a review and not just spoiler after spoiler or a complete summary of the book? And its absolutely superb no less, simply glorious.

I haven't been on the fence about getting this one, but for some time there has always been something keeping me from actually getting it. Well next time I come across I'll have to make sure I leave with a copy.

Beautifully done Ploss, when I started reading this it did a good job of pulling me in and making me want more than the merest bits your review taunted me with. Hopefully, I'll be fortunate enough to see more reviews like this in the future, to fuel my desire to obtain or reread other Black Library works.
Thanks for the praise mate. :) That's the goal with a book review. As the reviewer, you really want to relay the theme of the book without giving the plot away. A succinct description of the feel of the novel as well as how different elements worked together in the story.

Summarizing the story almost in its entirety is just like handing the prospective reader a "Cliff Notes" of the narrative. You give them the answers and therefore keep them from wanting to discover the mystery and go on the adventure themselves. It's really easy to relay a story in a summary form, it's another to be critical of a novel and its structure, characterization, and plot. I always challenge myself to give the best review of the novel possible without having to resort to spoilers and ruined endings.

Simply put, a review is meant to sway a prospective buyer one way or another. You are trying to convince them to buy it, or you are telling them it isn't worth their time. That is why people read reviews in the first place. They want to learn more about the novel before they commit to spending their hard-earned cash on it. Show them they should buy it and give them a reason. But don't give them all the answers. That's too easy, and a sign of a mediocre reviewer.

(i'm not personally knocking anyone here, i'm just giving my thoughts on how professional reviews are done. In fact, i'll probably do a tutorial for book reviews for you all to read.)

CP

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Good review Commissar. I intend to get Bloodborn once Bloodforged is released, then ill read both back to back.

And the quality of the review is great. Ill definitely read that tutorial, I feel my reviews could be a lot better.

·
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good review Commissar. I intend to get Bloodborn once Bloodforged is released, then ill read both back to back.

And the quality of the review is great. Ill definitely read that tutorial, I feel my reviews could be a lot better.
Thanks a lot mate. :) I'll hopefully have something up this week.

CP

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Good review, CP. I've been tempted to delve into the WHFB realm for a while now, and this is now on the list of possible 'experiments' to buy.

·
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good review, CP. I've been tempted to delve into the WHFB realm for a while now, and this is now on the list of possible 'experiments' to buy.
Just like you, i had my reservations. I wasn't sure if i was ready for the transition. but it was a welcome introduction to the Old World. I must say, I don't think there could be a better starting point. :)

CP

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Very nice work then Ploss, I believe that is most definitely rep worthy. (As if this review wasn't already.:p)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts