Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i suppose a blood angels are quite a festive army in that they use one of the main colours of christmas,but another festive thing GW share with this release is some very Ebeneezer Scrooge tendencies when it came to the terminators.

so what did we get ? surprised it has to be said,i never in a million years expected a blood angel specific tactical squad or assault terminator squad, especially when you consider the space marine tactical squad is very new and the blood angel assault terminators contains nothing that isnt available in the vanilla kit other than the banner. The Sanguinary priest and terminator librarian are both welcome additions and really no brainer releases for the army.

Tactical Squad
firstly they come on the 32mm bases, no arguments from me, the 25mm was never fit for purpose for marines, the 32mm should really become standard for almost everything in 40k that currently sits on a 25mm, maybe grots and eldar will be fine.
A massive number of components on the three sprues, though not many of them are different from the standard tactical squad other than they have been adorned with blood angel symbols and blood drops,this kit really highlights gws ability to quickly make another kit for marines by simply taking the vanilla tactical squad parts as a template and lavishing the components with chapter specific images,this will hopefully mean we will see other chapters get the same treatment in the future, there isnt really much more of note about the kit, other than its a very neat and crisp and detailed kit,the sprues are truely packed and as always very compatible with all other space marine kits.

Assault terminators
Im extremely disappointed with this kit, the quality of sculpt is great it matches other similar kits,if im honest, similar kits is this kits main problem, IF i was to pick fault with something GW do, that i think hurts them more than anything else, its pricing similar kits very differently, they really must assume we purchase stuff oblivious to other kits and the prices they charge.
The kit contains 2 sprues with minimal components,the kit can only be assembled as assualt termiantors with either thunderhammer/storm shield or lightning claws, considering the name on the box this doesnt come as a surprise,but the product is priced at almost £7 more than the vanilla version of its name sake,or maybe more importantly for the same price the spacewolves and grey knights enjoy an entire extra sprue with loads more optional parts or the ability to build the kit into more variants, okay you could argue that space wolf and grey knight players are paying for bitz they wont use but blood angel players are paying the same premium and not getting the additional parts they dont want!
the second fault of the kit is that they have attached the rear torso to the legs, not a huge thing as all this does is determine how the mini will face, but they have also fixed 4 of the helmets into the front torsos meaning you cant use optional heads(not that there are many),this inability to choose how your models will look is a serious flaw of this kit in my opinion, for me one of the most significant plus points of GW kits is the ability to assemble the infantry in a variety of different ways giving units endlessly different looks and uniqueness, with just five legs,five torsos,and muiltple heads/helmets you could have totally different looking units created from the same kit, and again when you look at the price GW have charged you a premium for a kit that lacks the very basic flexibility of similar kits.

on the whole there is nothing really wrong with the kit, its sculpted well, matches very nicely with the space hulk minis and standard terminators, there is a lovely banner in the kit and the minis are covered in blood angel iconography, its just priced high and lacks the flexibility of other similar kits.

sanguinary priest
Another single mini plastic blister, nicely sculpted and very cleverly sliced up on the sprue, some of the single plastic minis are poorly sliced up giving you almost zero chance to convert or kit bash them without resorting to making cuts,GW seem to have got better at this as time has gone by and components such as the head could easily be swapped out for a helmet etc.
on the negative side of things, its the price compared to similar products, for some reason space marine single character blisters are priced £4 higher than other minis within the 40k range and almost double the price of single warhammer plastic command minis.

blood angel Librarian terminator

this mini is great but also a kick in the teeth to those who paid silly money picking up the spacehulk libby who bears a striking resemblance to this model including a bad ass axe and combiweapon, again excellent sculpt and kudos for making the model much more converter friendly, though i cant help thinking a generic version with optional chapter specific parts would have been a more profitable mini,but for blood angel players hes pretty cool, hes only slightly more money than his vanilla counterpart in resin so price isnt too much of an issue but again he is still priced higher than other plastic single blister characters in 40k because hes a marine.

on the whole the model releases for this codex update feel like GW have phoned it in,these are 4 nice to have kits, but nothing really jumps out and shouts "buy me mother fucker" and in the case of the terminators it feels like GW have done an exercise in how little effort can we get away with for £35 or can we shave off enough variety to get this kit down to two sprues. and again we have the issue of like for like pricing, GW pricing often feels like they pull the numbers out of thin air, they dont seem to understand the demand for there products and seem to produce too few of things people want at a price they will pay or produce things people could want but then ask them to pay more for them than stuff they already produce within the same miniature category, IF you are going to produce single mini characters/leaders plastic blisters then price them all at one price across the range and the same goes for other units and vehicles, dont make a 2 sprue flyer £48 in heavy support and £27.50 for 2 sprue flyer in fast attack, thats just gonna put peoples noses out of joint, if its £11 more, give them £11 more stuff in the box or put the prices the same.

not very positive ,but i suppose the silver lining is the codex was up dated and bloodangels got some new minis of there very own.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Damn shame to hear about the Terminators, though were I to get them I'd only get the 5 anyway at least. The pictures, even holding the box in hand and checking out the detail in the photos, made it look quite the opposite. I feel like I read in some GW publication that there are all different legs for more dynamic poses...and then they mold the backs to the legs. Lame. Even though I'm very comfortable with a knife and green stuff I'd still hesitate to buy two boxes of them.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn shame to hear about the Terminators, though were I to get them I'd only get the 5 anyway at least. The pictures, even holding the box in hand and checking out the detail in the photos, made it look quite the opposite. I feel like I read in some GW publication that there are all different legs for more dynamic poses...and then they mold the backs to the legs. Lame. Even though I'm very comfortable with a knife and green stuff I'd still hesitate to buy two boxes of them.

your correct ,it is a damn shame, terminators are one of my favorite troop types, i was very excited and pleased to hear they were doing a terminator set for blood angels, and its such a disappointment that so little effort has gone into this set, a serious missed opportunity in my opinion, when you look at how much great new stuff and effort was put into the deathwing command set despite there being a snap together deathwing kit in dark vengeance. but on reflection i still prefer that they produced a kit than not, i just wish they would learn to price things equally when they have equal perceived value.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got the new stuff as well, apart from the Terminator Librarian, as I've still got to paint the Space Hulk model :p

The Tactical Squad is an amazing kit, without a doubt. Like mentioned above, the bits bear a striking resemblance to the vanilla Marine kit, but the amount of BA bits makes up for that. And for people like me, who like to mix and match all kits together this kit is great. A truly awesome kit :)

The Sanguinary Priest is great as well. I especially liked the fact that the Grail bit is a separate piece. Allows for a lot of conversion opportunities :laugh:

Now, the Terminators... Like bitsandkits said, the models are truly gorgeous. However, the single pose legs and torso does leave this kit with quite a lot to desire more of. The weapons, the choice of heads for the Sergeant (of which there are five :p ) and the 1st Company banner are all amazing. But the only thing you can really vary is the choice of weapons used on the models. I could see myself getting another kit, but that's it. Compared to the Space Wolves or Dark Angels kits (both of which I have several), you don't really need more than two of these kits due to model variance and even buying the second one is quite difficult to justify. What I really like is the shoulder pads and other BA bits that are separate, but I don't need them that much to go crazy buying more than two of these kits...

- Loran

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
How do the BA arms match up to the regular box?
If their different you could kit bash a BA box with a regualr box to get 10 different termies, each with moderate BA iconography

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You could do that, Kiro. I'm just going to run a knife along the gap between the backs and waist and get on with my day. Another kit I'll buy 3rd party to avoid giving GW too much of my money....if I even get it. Serious doubts about spending that much knowing that I'll have to knife and GS it up just to put them together 'normally'.

The tactical box will be my Sternguard squad without a doubt. Can't wait to drop that squad in front of some Monstrous Creatures.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The arms fit any Terminator model, so there's always that. And there is quite a lot of the extra Blood Angels stuff, such as shoulder pads and those heraldry shields that can be stuck to the shoulder pads. I used some of the extra bits to make the Terminators from my Deathstorm box look more Blood Angel-y.

- Loran

1 - 7 of 7 Posts