Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Force...

I fielded a codicier and epistolary with familiars (working in tandem, so they can buff each other) as HQ.

For elites I brought a Terminator Squad (1 AC/ PF, 4 SB & PF, 1 SB and PS) and a Venerable Dreadnought (extra armor, smoke)

For troops I brought One Tactical Squad (8 Bolters, 1 Flamer, 1 Lascannon) and one scout squad (5 sniper rifles, 1 BP/CCW and 1 HB)

For fast attack I brought Assault Marines (2 flamers, 1 PP and CCW, 7 BP/ CCW, all stripped of Jump Packs)

Seek and Destroy mission.

1500 points

The Chaos Undecided forces brought a dreadnought (TL Lascannons, Missiles), a Captain and Lieutenant, a CC squad, a tactical squad and a few heavy weapon squads. (since I don't run Chaos, I don't know what everything is called).

The Battle...

Chaos got to shoot first and had pick of sides, scored some awesome cover.

I probably played too agressive, charged out to him.

The Blood Ravens Assault Team did well, charging in to the Chaos Marine CC team in the second turn almost totally intact. Nuked the chaos assault team in a turn and left them with two guys (aspiring champion and an assault chaos Astartes).

The Terminators and two Librarians made a rush on the other side of the board, hoping to take out the Dread and two dug-in heavy squads. The Boss and Lieutenant were on this end of the board as well.

Every round the scout-snipers dropped somebody in the heavy squad in the building, they were providing sniper support for my right-side push by the termies and and Librarians.

The Tactical Squad kept the heads down on the Traitor Marines, covering the assault troop's advance.

Venerable Dreadnought Ferrox followed the assault squad, hosing away with his AC.

Things went well for the first half.

Eventually the Dreadnought Ferrox took a penetrating hit killing it (forgot it was venerable, and forgot that I had to active say I was popping smoke...so it died to my error)

My lascannon scored an awesome shot on the Traitor Dreadnought, causing a large explosion, taking out a couple astartes with it.

Eventually my assault team got swarmed. They fought to the very last, the sergeant being the last man standing retreated, and the aspiring champion ran away in shame.

Every turn the Terminators hosed on the fortified building trying to whiddle down the heavy teams inside (trying to get them below scoring strength).

In the end, my tactical squad kept getting hammered by a heavy team, and they got forced to fall back (which took covering fire off the advancing assault squad). The assault sergeant valiantly fought the traitor astartes until they were below half-strength (no longer a scoring unit).

The Termies slowly got taken apart by long-range lascannon fire. One of the librarians fell as well (codicier) and the remaining Librarian chared in to the Traitor Astartes boss and Lieutenant. Killed the Lieutenant and nearly killed the Traitor Captain, couldn't get the force weapon to go off. In the end, the Traitorous Captain slew the Epistolary.

All I had left as a scoring unit was a scout squad. The chaos undecided force had three heavy units still barely considered a scoring unit.

Mistakes...
I didn't use my psyker powers every turn as I should have, give the AC veil of time, re-roll hits, wounds, etc. Would have done more damage with them if I had.

I totally forgot about pinning with my scout snipers. That would have kept the traitor astartes from raining down so much heat on the termies and everyone else.

Totally forgot about popping smoke and having a VENERABLE dread.

Learning...

Man, that added toughness makes Traitor Astartes hard as nails to wound.
I could have hung back and let them run after me. I tend to use very few plasma weapons, and my opponant loves them. Man, Plasma Hurts!
I built too many points in to my HQ and elites, not enough in to my troops.

End result was a Solid Victory for Chaos Undecided.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice report, we've all been there – getting hammered while you forget to use your abilities (once forgot to deepstrike my terminators for a whole game)

Just one thing, remember that Veil of Time only gives re-rolls to your librarian not the whole squad.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Honestly, I'm an inexperienced player. I've technically played since the get go, but really...I tend to collect, convert and paint minis far more than I have ever played. I guess I'm paying for it now.

I'll start honing those rusty skills (and remembering how the special rules, powers, etc work) soon.

I thought veil of time worked on "a model" not necissarily the librarian himself. Is that wrong? Don't want to misuse the ability.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One thing I noticed was that you mentioned each of the three heavy teams were almost below half strength. This begs the question, why? If you were causing enough casualties to bring all three to near half strength, would it not have been better to concentrate fire on one unit at a time to reduce them below half? It seems like having 3 squads at 50-60% strength is much less useful than having 1 or 2 squads wiped out, or nearly so, and one left at full strength.

Of course there are many details about the game that I don't know, so perhaps it was due to his or your deployment and lines of sight during the game. Was leaving the three squads damaged, but scoring, a happenstance of how the game unfolded or was it a tactical error? Do you feel that forcing each of the three squads to take casualties was more or less beneficial than destroying, or nearly destroying, whole squads? If so, why? Genuine curiosity here.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part of it was the LOS issue, part was me. I *could* have shot through the building (less than 6") to combine fire, but I shot at the units directly in front.

I was trying to take as many units as possible below 50%. I came up short due to the extra toughness of the Chaos guys (totally didn't figure for that). I also didn't remember my snipers had *pinning* weapons. Didn't remember to use my Librarians' psyker powers until the end. Lots of mistakes. I chalk it up to inexperience in *playing* (opposed to reading the novels and modeling). Meh. It's all good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts