Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was probably covered months ago when the new BA codex came out, but I need a refresher. In the old PDF codex the Chalice worked by saying that a friendly unit benefited from FC if it started "within range at the start of its own Assault Phase". Those words are now absent in the new book and just says "units within 6" ..." So, in order to benefit from FC, does the unit have to start within the 6" and if it charges into an enemy and is now 7" away do they lose it? The FNP seems a bit more cut and dry, in that you check if they are within range of the priest at the time they take the wounds and roll the check. So I'm mostly just curious about the FC part and when you can and can't benefit from it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
It's tricky, I think most people play it as if you started the assault within range of the you gain FC. Reading it RAW when you come to resolve that assault you wold check then to see if you have FC or not for determining the Initiative order. If you're out of range at that point then you do not receive the benefit of FC.

Relevant page numbers would be p33 'Assualt Phase Summary' Where you see 'Fight Close Combat' is step 3, well after moving in Step 1. Furious Charge on pg 75, it has an effect when 'Attacking in close combat'. You would lose the ability in Step 1 when you moved out of range, so you do not have it in Step 3 when you actually do the attacking.

Aramoro

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
everyone I've played, even a low level tourney organiser plays it same as the old one, within 6" at the start of the assault phase. it needs to be FAQ'd to be certain but that's how I'd play it

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I agree with Lord Reevan. Not only is that they way it used tol work before the codex came out but it also makes alot of sence. the Chalice would drive everyone to charge in full force but would stop them from going "mad" half way to the enemy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, that sucks if you have to be ending your movement within the 6", mostly because I don't run my priest in the squad assaulting, usually he's in a different one so he can't be singled out in CC. I also run a lot of deep striking, so that's where the precision measurements can leave me without FC (say with a VV squad) or just FNP in general to weather bullets for my first turn in. But as far as the rule, it does make sense reading it that way, I just wish it was the 4th edition way. :-\

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the tip is not to assult into combat with another IC. I play Eldar so i have to be carful when i get assulted by a Libarian as they will often just assult me and force weapon my face. so don't put in the the frount as when you considate into combat make sure he's agianst the weakest guy

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I don't think anyone has really changed the view of RAW, but people will always tend to favour thing working in their favour because it's 'better' or 'more realistic'. Thus people will always play both of these as working fine if you end up out of range, because that's how it should work if you play Blood Angels or Nids.

Aramoro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts