Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES
This is a guide to painting the noble Blood Angels Space Marines. We’ll be using mostly basic techniques, such as layering and washing, to achieve a high tabletop standard in as little time as possible. Hopefully, this will give you some ideas for getting your own Blood Angels models on the table efficiently while still looking sharp.
You can also use this guide to paint Blood Ravens Space Marines. To do this, just paint the shoulders off-white and adjust the iconography appropriately.

HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES- GENERAL PREP
1. Assemble your Blood Angel Space Marine using Citadel superglue.
2. Prime your Blood Angel with black spray primer.

HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES- BASECOATS
1. Start by basecoating all the armor with a dark red, such as Reaper Bloodstain Red or Games Workshop’s Scab Red.

2. Basecoat all of the Blood Angels metal areas using Games Workshop Boltgun Metal.

3. Basecoat any gold areas using a 50/50 mix of a dark brown, such as Reaper Ruddy Brown or Games Workshop’s Scorched Brown, and a brass tone such as Reaper Ancient Brass or Games Workshop’s Dwarf Bronze.

4. Paint the casing of the space marines boltgun using a mid-tone grey, such as Games Workshop’s Codex Grey or Reaper Cloudy Grey.

5. Paint any parchment, pouches, skulls, and the like with a dark brown, such as Ruddy Brown or Games Workshop’s Scorched Brown.

6. Dot the Blood Angels eyes using a dark green paint, such as Games Workshop Dark Angels Green, or Reaper Peacock Green. This contrasts very well with the Blood Angels Red Armour and stands out really well.

HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES—THE ARMOUR
--Special note—The right knee has been left largely alone after the basecoat, as it will be covered by a squad marking later.

1. We’ll start by adding a layer of a mid-tone red paint, such as Reaper Clotted
Red or Games Workshop Red Gore.

2. Next, we’ll paint a layer of a strong dark red, such as Reaper Carnage Red, or a 50/50 mix of GW Red Gore and Blood Red.

3. Then, we’ll paint a final layer of a bright red to the Blood Angels armour. I used a 50/50 mix of Reaper Carnage Red and Magma Red, but straight Games Workshop Blood Red works well too.

4. Now, we’ll highlight the edges of the Space Marines armor using a bright red. I used pure Reaper Magma Red here, but if you’re using Games Workshop paint, a 75/25 mix of Blood Red and Firey Orange will do the trick.

5. If you want to darken the armor a bit, mix up a 50/50 wash of Leviathan Purple and Baal Red. The interesting thing about Games Workshop’s Baal Red wash is that the pigment is actually LIGHTER than the pigment in Blood Red—it behaves more like a pink than a red. It’s fine over oranges and pinks, but needs to be darkened in a mix with another color that has red in it, such as purple or Ogryn Flesh, which is a red-brown, to shade red properly.

HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES—REMAINING DETAILS
1. Wash the gun (both metal bits and casing) with Badab Black. Also hit any other metal areas with this wash.

2. Add a layer of a mid-tone gold, such as Games Workshop Shining Gold or Reaper Antique Gold to any gold areas.

3. Wash the marines gold areas with Ogryn Flesh, or, if you have access to inks, a 75/25 mix of Brown and Red ink.

4. Dot the eyes using Games Workshop Goblin Green or Reaper Viper Green.

5. Dot the corners of your Blood Angels eyes with white.

6. Paint the parchment on any purity seals with a layer of Reaper Aged Bone or Games Workshop Bleached Bone with a bit of Snakebite Leather mixed in.

7. Highlight any parchment with pure Bleached Bone or Reaper Polished Bone.

8. Highlight the wax on the purity seals with Codex Grey or Reaper Cloudy Grey.

HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS SPACE MARINES—SQUAD AND CHAPTER MARKINGS
1. On the right shoulder, we’ll mark this Blood Angel as a member of the Fifth Company by painting a black tear drop on the shoulder.

2. On the right knee, we’ll mark this Blood Angel as part of the Fourth Tactical Squad by painting the knee black.

3. Then, using the progression of reds described in HOW TO PAINT BLOOD ANGELS- THE ARMOUR, draw a teardrop in the center of the space marines knee.

4. On the left shoulder pad, mark out the Chapter icon.

5. Highlight the black areas using Codex Grey or Reaper Cloudy Grey.

Check out our other how to paint guides.
How to paint Tyranids - Genestealers
How to paint Ultramarines
How to Paint Dark Angels Space Marines
How to Paint Space Wolves
How to Paint Blood Angels Space Marines
How To Paint Imperial Guard

We now have a finished Blood Angel, ready to avenge the angel Sanguinius. All that’s left is to finish the base as you see fit. Hopefully, this guide will have helped you put your models on the table quickly!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Addendum--

This how to paint Blood Angels guide was made with speed and simple techniques in mind. Given that, and looking at the photos, the model doesn't look great right up close. So, here's an additional finished product picture at regular viewing distance, with the How to Paint Ultramarines and How to Paint Dark Angels examples with it for comparison.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Nice guide, although I find drybrushing the Boltgun metal on to black turns out better than basecoating it on thick. But that's my opinion :grin: +rep

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have actually used my own blood to paint. I cut myself once and decided to give it a go i got the ide off this guy called the blood painter he paints using his own blood so i thought i would try as well hahaha didnt turn out the best for me...
You can check it out and see if it works for you. Go to BloodPainting.com

Best to stick to the fake stuf i suggest hahaha
Patrick.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I'm trying to decide on how to paint my World Eaters, do you think this would be a good way of doing them as well, or should I go the white spray way?

·
Slave to the Brush
678 Posts
I have actually used my own blood to paint. I cut myself once and decided to give it a go i got the ide off this guy called the blood painter he paints using his own blood so i thought i would try as well hahaha didnt turn out the best for me...
You can check it out and see if it works for you. Go to BloodPainting.com

Best to stick to the fake stuf i suggest hahaha
Patrick.
Holy shit, those paiotings are unreal! Craziness... wouldn't do it personally, but it's pretty neat :)

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I think using human blood would be non-hygienic, to say the least.

Also, I've seen that the red, orange, and yellow paints put out by Citadel are all pretty translucent, especially when thinned. When I highlight my armor edges, using a thinned blazing orange has worked well. Once dry, it looks like fine. If I put it on too thick or need to blend, then I go over the edges with either thinned blood red or a mix of orange/red.

Also, I try to only highlight the edges that would be facing the major light source. In shadowed areas, I'll try to enhance the darks, rather than highlighting.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Here's a picture of a marine I just finished using the below process.

1. Prime with black spray
2. Clean model with toothbrush till it shines
3. Base red areas with mechrite red, yellow areas with snakebite leather, skin with kaki/tan
4. Go over reds with scab red (try to keep it out of the recesses that you want to be shadowed.) Go over the yellow areas with a combination of 50/50 snakebite and sunburst yellow.
5. Go over reds with blood red with emphasis on reflective upper surfaces, give the skin another coat of kaki till you can't see the black through it.
6. Highlight red armor edges with blazing orange, yellow areas with straight sunburst yellow.
7. Drybrush chest aquila with codex gray.
8. Drybrush metal areas with diluted boltgun metal.
9. Highlight aquila with light gray such as space wolf grey. Highlight metal with straight boltgun metal.
10. Go over skin with bronzed flesh. Wash with gryphone. Drybrush with elf flesh. Wash again with gryphone. Highlight teeth and pick out eyes, if you want but be very carefull.
11. Add squad, company, and chapter badges. Highlight joint areas by drybrushing either codex gray or boltgun metal onto the ridged rubber looking areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts