Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning in my army (ba) to include for the troops choice...

3xtactical
2xscouts
1x rhino

atm i have just bought a squad of scouts and i am not sure what weapons to have

i was thinking to have 1 assaulty squad and 1 longer range

in the assaulty....
3 scouts with sword and pistol,1 vet serg with chain sword and pistol, and one shotgun? i think shotgun because it is an assault fire twice. And when you upgrade to a vet serg do you have to add anything to the model or do you just say its a veteran.

and the second....
3 bolters,heavy bolter and a serg w/ chain sword and bolt pistol

im still thinking about the tacticals and stuff but this is urgent as ive stuck the bodys and am clueless with the weapons

what do you think?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I'd give them all close combat weapons. One big squad of ten, not two of five. The sergeant doesn't have to have anything to be a Veteran Sergeant per se (beyond the points cost, of course) but I'd go ahead and give him a power fist or something if you've got the bits to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if your doing shooty bolters are the best and infiltrating bolters are better inc heavy bolter

do a cc squad with no shotgun they're crap and a vet sg with nothing and hope he turns into a death company

·
Registered
630 Posts
If your going for the 'optimised' troops squads for BA's look no further!
Shooty Tacs:
6 x Marines: Lascannon/Plasma Vet Sgt
All round Tacs:
8 x Marines: Lascannon/Plasma Vet Sgt Power Fist
Mech Tacs:
Rhino EA/Smokes: 8 x Marines Melta Gun Vet Sgt Power Fist

Combat Scouts:
8 x Scouts Vet Sgt Power Fist (Optional missile for cheekiness)
Shooty Scouts:
8 x Scouts 7 x Snipers/bolters Missile/HB (dependant on list)

For the rest of your list you might want to try adding In anit-Infantry either through Tornado's or Baals and then possibly annihilators with HB's
Assault squads always tend to do well playing tag with the DC as they can get bogged down If outnumbered.
Of course these are all down to personal preference your probably best writing up a list or what type/style of list your after and we'll go from there, the B+C ain't all that after all! :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right thaks guys

ill be thinking about the rest later so ill keep your ideas in mind longbeard

i will have 2 sqauds defo im not sure how many men though yet

assault one....

pistols and ccw and vet srg power fist

shooty

3 bolters, heavy bolter serg w/ chain sword and pistol?

alright?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd always go with even numbers If you can manage It, helps with moral and scoring Issues. Naked vets may get moaned at but are your best bet If you want results on the tabletop. If your having vets In shooty squads I'd go with the trusty bolter for the added 'shooty' the extra attack Is less likely to come Into play.
Give us a shout If you need anymore help! :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i should have an unarmed vet cus it gets a power fist/weapon anyway if it turns to DC?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i want to no, on my assaulty scout BA squad should i use the chainsword and pistol????

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
why are blood angle chaplins not as good as norrmal marine chaplins

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
should be better in combat

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your going for the 'optimised' troops squads for BA's look no further!
Shooty Tacs:
6 x Marines: Lascannon/Plasma Vet Sgt
All round Tacs:
8 x Marines: Lascannon/Plasma Vet Sgt Power Fist
Mech Tacs:
Rhino EA/Smokes: 8 x Marines Melta Gun Vet Sgt Power Fist

Combat Scouts:
8 x Scouts Vet Sgt Power Fist (Optional missile for cheekiness)
Shooty Scouts:
8 x Scouts 7 x Snipers/bolters Missile/HB (dependant on list)
BA squads can only be 5 or 10 man. And you can only get heavy weapons like lascannons and Plasma Cannons in 10 man. So a 6 man is out of the question for a tac squad.

Same goes for the scout squad. They can only be 5 or 10 man, and a regular scout squad (With Sniper Rifles and etc.) Counts as an elite choice.

Your best choice would be 10 man tactical squads broken into combat teams of 5 men and split the HW between them. If you are looking some for some serious firepower, DEV squads are nice, but for BA the costs are boosted. A chaplain is almost a must for a BA army to control the deadly DC (AKA to get maximum effect) out of them

Goodluck

Alias

·
Registered
267 Posts
One more thing, an assault squad to back up the DC in CC will insure those two units run through most of the opposition quickly and efficiently. And yes, put bolt pistols and cc weapons on the assault squad. Just throw a PF on the vet sgt.

GOODLUCK

ALIAS

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
BA squads can only be 5 or 10 man. And you can only get heavy weapons like lascannons and Plasma Cannons in 10 man. So a 6 man is out of the question for a tac squad.

Same goes for the scout squad. They can only be 5 or 10 man, and a regular scout squad (With Sniper Rifles and etc.) Counts as an elite choice.

You didn't check the posting date then Alias? This thread is about a year old (ie, long before the new codex came out). Of course, you're quite right for the new codex, but those posting 4 months before it was released can hardly be blamed for not knowing what would be in it.

I guess this one of the problems Galahad's been talking about with resurrected threads.

So the current question before the floor, which Green Knight should probably have put in a new thread, is "why aren't BA chaplains better in close combat?"

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
This is what I was talking about.

I'm glad that you're taking an interest in the archives, but PLEASE take the time to look at the posting dates before you contribute to an old thread. The advice that was given here was accurate at the time. This thread is more than a year out of date and the rules have changed between now and then.

Just please be mindful of how old a thread is. Even if the rules were still the same, it;s been a year since the thread was started. It;s safe to assume that nik0 had his questions answered before now.

Keep posting, keep contributing, keep helping...just keep an eye on the post dates ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts