10x Assault Marines w/ Power Fist, 2x Melta- 235 points

10x Assault Marines w/ Power Fist, 2x Meltas, removed Jump Packs- 200 points

5x Death Company w/ Power Fist, 2x Power Weapons- 155 points

Fast Attack:

Baal Predator w/ Flamestorm Cannon-115 points

Heavy Support

Storm Raven w/ twin linked Multi Meltas and twin linked Lascannons-200 points

Storm Raven w/ twin linked Multi Meltas and twin linked Lascannons-200 points

The idea is to run Astorath, the Death Company, and the Furioso Dread. w/ grapple in one Storm Raven. The other Storm Raven will take the Assault Marines w/out packs and the Furioso w/ talons. The idea is to attack with the storm ravens, assaulting out of them, then deepstrike the remaining assault marines in an outflanking position while running the baal as anti-horde/infantry. Magna grapple dread is anti-heavy vehicle. The lib. dread would be used to lance vehicles, monstrous creatures, etc....any suggestions would be welcomed, I've also thought about using Dante and working some Sanguinary priests or an autocannon/las predator in.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sanguinary Priests and Vanguard Vets are a must. FNP/FC is so huge for your army, it's essential. Vanguard allow you to charge upon arrival, making it much harder for your opponent to shoot you down as you come in.

I'd go for 3 RAS and the DC, keep both Furiosos but throw in SHP to buff your units. Keep jump packs on your 3rd RAS, and just stick one combat squad in the Raven, leaving the other to sit back on a home objective or help out as needed.

For support, Vanguard are extremely handy, as are Librarians for Lance and Shield.

For your Ravens, look into the TL PC to help blow away heavier infantry, and hurricane bolters to go after lighter infantry.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok first off I agree with chumbalaya, sanguinary preists are a must for FNP and FC, it will make your units so much harder.
Secondly you need some sponsons on that pred, probably HF but maybe HB for some longer range firepower.
The tactics for the stormravens is a good idea, but you could achieve the same effects with drop pods and then have enough points for another baal and a lascannon pred... just a suggestion :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i like the list, only 2 things i would change would be to change the twin linked lascannon on one of the stormravens to plasma cannons, as it could have some longer ranged anti-MEQ weaponary. also i would take out one of the furisios (magna grapple in my opinion) and swap it for 2 priests with jetpacks, play with them right and attach them to 2 units of RAS, and keep the other close within the 6" bubble, and you should be all good for FNP and FC.

also sadly if you remove jetpacks you do not get a 35 point discount on the unit, only on a dedicated transport so that third unit of RAS are also 235 points

happy hunting! :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Astorath is designed for DC spamming. While that's not his only benefit it's the main reason to bother with that awful model.

Furioso Dreadnoughts without Extra Armor are like cars without wheels. They can't move and may as well be dead. I've always felt that EA and Heavy Flamers are standard equipment on Furioso. Just build those points in to your thinking from the start.

Same goes for Predators without sponsons. You don't alway need/want to move over 6" so why lack the firepower to make that pay-off? This is particularly true with the flamer. One template is, at best, worrisome. Three is goddamned terrifying. Though I'd rather field Assault Cannon with Heavy Flamers if you really need templates, just for the pure flexibility.

I'd also go with mixed weaponry on the Stormravens. Sure you get ridiculous anti-tank power with Las/Melta. But what happens when the tanks are gone or never existed at all? Spending 200 points and killing two Ork boyz per turn is just silly. You could get around that with Hurricane sponsons, but 30 points is very steep. I'm a big fan of Assault Cannons with Typhoon Missiles. You've got the exact same range bands as Las/Melta but gain a ton of anti-personnel fire for only a small drop in anti-tank effectiveness. And you can move 24" and fire the Assault Cannon and 2 Frag Missiles thanks to PotMS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I've reworked the list. I completely dropped the death company, Astorath, and the storm ravens. I've also ended up with fifteen extra points.

HQ
Epistolary w/Sanguine Sword, Lance, Jump Pack-175

Troops
10 Assault Marines w/ 2x Melta, Power fist-235

Elites
3 Sanguinary Priests w/ Jump Packs, Power Fists-300
Furioso Dread w/ Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor-140
Furioso Dread w/ Magna Grapple, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor-155

Fast Attack
Baal Pred w/ Assault Cannon, Flame Sponsoons-140

Heavy Support
Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsoons-135
Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsoons-135

Dedicated Trans.
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon-45
Drop Pod-35

·
Registered
116 Posts
HQ
Epistolary w/Sanguine Sword, Lance, Jump Pack-175
You won't manage to use two powers on enemy's turn (except for S10+PsykerKill but I don't think you'll need it too often). And you've got two meltas in every squad anyway. So I'd suggest you either to drop epistolary or to go Sword+Rage (and call Libby "Mephiston the Minor").

Furioso Dread w/ Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor-140
Furioso Dread w/ Magna Grapple, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor-155

Dedicated Trans.
Drop Pod w/ Locator Beacon-45
Drop Pod-35
A single drop pod's life is like "deployed, than destroyed" ((c) TSOALR). So not sure these guys would fare well and locator would survive to help you.

Fast Attack
Baal Pred w/ Assault Cannon, Flame Sponsoons-140
Minor price miscalculation here and, well, are you sure that with ranges so different and necessity to move 6" to both shoot and lay templates this loadout will work fine? With so much melta in the list you may actually go flamestorm+flamers (that's more death in sponson range than TLAC+flamers).

And, if you don't know where to put 15 points, BA Codex has infernus pistol just for this occasion. :wink:

Hope this helps.

EDIT: this "sponson" for thee, Dan.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sponsoon = wrong
Sponsor = wrong

SPONSON = right

The Librarian should have either Sanguine Sword or Blood Lance. Both is rather redundant. Take a second power that helps other units or is for killing something other than tanks. The Epistolary upgrade is a must for lone characters, but I'd rather find the points to add an I5 officer of some sort. Maybe upgrade one of the Furioso to a Librarian and bring a Captain or Reclusiarch instead.

Sanguinary Priests are W1 ICs. Any ICs with Power Fists are dog food. Therefore SPs with Fists are dog $#!+. These guys can be singled out and killed long before they'll ever get to swing that Fist. Give them power weapons.

Drop Pods have been so thoroughly screwed by Drop Pod Assault that to field fewer than 3 is simply a waste. The only exception to this is using a Deathwind Pod as a bunker in, or just in front of, your deployment zone. Even then I wouldn't waste the points putting anything other than a Tactical Squad or HS Dreadnought in it if only one is landing on turn 1.

The Baal Predators should be, either, all shooting or all flaming. Mixing the two is a bad concept. The Assault Cannon are quite happy at 24", well outside any possible charge range. The Heavy Flamers have to get up close and personal so unless the enemy is a boob that means you will get jumped in his turn. AV10 tanks that get assaulted die. So unless you want a suicide unit (all flame) give it Heavy Bolter sponsons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've made some more changes. I ditched the Librarian for a Captain with a power sword and combi-melta(wish I could get a relic blade). Removed the power fists on the Priests and gave them power swords . Upgraded the magna grapple equipped Furioso to a Furioso Lib w/ Wings of Sanguinius, Lance, and extra armor. I've been thinking about dropping the Baal to add a StormRaven w/ typhoon launcher, hurricane bolters, and either plasma or assault cannons. Can a Raven deepstrike with a dreadnought in the grapples? I really like the idea of using a gunship but I don't have any troops to put in it, just a Furioso so I'm not sure if the points are justified.

·
Registered
648 Posts
A Librarian is a better pick than the Captain if only for his psychic hood. Blood Lance and Unleash Rage are awesome as well.

I'd go for 2 Librarian Dreads so everything in your armor is tough and mobile or shooty.

The Raven is a tricky bird. It's expensive and useful, but really does suck up points. A Furioso would be a great candidate for a passenger, as would a unit of Sanguinary Guard, a RAS combat squad with 2 meltas or just some DC you can dump at midfield.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HQ:
Captain - Jump Pack, Power Weapon, Hand Flamer-150

Elites:
3x Sanguinary Priests - 3x Power Weapons, 3x Jump Packs-270
Furioso Dreadnought - Extra Armor, Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer-150
Furioso Librarian - Extra Armor, Heavy Flamer, Blood Lance, Unleash Rage-190

Troops:
10x Assault Troops - Power Fist, 2x Melta-235
5x Scouts - Sniper Rifle, Missile Launcher-85

Heavy Support:
Storm Raven - Typhoon, Assault Cannon-225
Storm Raven - Typhoon, Assault Cannon-225

Does this look viable? The scouts were added because I had spare points and I figured they could go to ground and hold an objective.

·
Registered
122 Posts
only thing i would say would be to include a plasma cannon on one of the stormravens as it works wonders agaisnt MEQ and nids.

like it, think this most recent one is definately most balanced.

only problem i really see if the walking furioso.

other than that happy hunting!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I certainly like this new iteration. But....

I'd suggest dropping the Scouts and 1 RAS-10 for a pair of RAS-6 (w/twin Lightning Claws, Melta Bombs & Melta Gun for 145 ea) to ride in the Stormravens along with the Dreadnoughts. The remaining 30 points can cover the PV error on the Furioso Librarian (125+10+15+50=200 not 190) and upgrade the Captain to a Reclusiarch w/JP & Infernus Pistol. A Reclusiarch added to an RAS-10 with Sanguinary Priest is much nastier than a Captain added to the same unit.

Heck I like this list so much I might use it myself once I finish my second Stormraven. With a few twists.:wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd have to agree with Dan, that last list is a great improvement. It would help that assault squad pack that extra punch with the Dreadnought when you fly the Stormravens in. I'm probably a bit more patient than most, i want to wait for the Stormraven model to come out before i use them in an army list. Oh but it's fun to dream...

I would probably change out the captain for a librarian or a chaplain, but that's a personal choice you can make (the libby dread will do in a pinch and he's a lot tougher to boot). The Libby can buff your attacks on the storm raven squads, and give an extra shield on the way up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Dan: Thanks for the suggestion with the 6 man squads. I didn't really want to combat squad one of my 10 man squads.

I'll be dropping the Captain in favor of a Reclusiarch w/ Infernus and JP. I originally did have wings on the Furioso Lib. but dropped them in favor of Unleash Rage although I may drop one power for Wings. There is something about a flying Dreadnought that's so appealing. Also adding plasma cannons to one Raven thanks to sanguinius noob. Thanks for the feedback all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts