Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Blood Angels - Chaplain Lemartes

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Darthlace 
#1 ·
I have practically finished Lemarts for my army -

I have to:

snip off the metal bridge between the blood drop tassles on his sceptor
do something with the base
I need a red/brown colour for his patches so will try mixing some colours later.
and finish his weapon and the bolt gun between his joints, and breather mask connectors

looks much better 'in person' my pics always seem to bring out the worst in the models, does his bum loog big in that

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like you got a very clean white, which is always good, and often hard to do. Do you prime your models before painting? It's hard to tell looking at the bit on the crozius that needs to be clipped. If not, priming your models is definitely the way to go-- if nothing else, it speeds up painting since it's one fewer layer you have to mess with. I'd also reccommend cleaning up the model completely before painting, too-- that way, you don't have to go back in and touch up where you've filed mold lines (if you bother with them) or where you'll end up clipping that bit.

He looks good, though-- particularly the purity seals. The wax parts of them look very waxy, for some reason. Might be the picture, but maybe not. What paint did you use for them?

#8 ·
right - looks pretty good, but i think i have a couple of easy ways to improve -

1) if you undercoat it black, why paint black on top? personally, id leave it, or maybe add a black ink wash to take a little bit of the matte off it.

2) i see on the eagle, it looks kind of half done. have you kind of drybrushed over it? personally, id say a solid of block of colour is the first step - then drybrush it if thats the effect you want.

3) paint the plasma - even if its only one colour!

4) also, try to touch up any little mistakes you make on the model - eg on the purity seal where the red has gone over. thats easy to do and improves the look of the model a lot when you look at is afterwards.

#9 ·
1) its not finished - touch ups have been done.
2) the undercoat is never the same look as the main paint thats why i paintd black on black. Ink maybe good but as I have to weather the model I think I'll leave it matt - I like the rustic look.
3) The plasma hasn't even been painted yet so - watch this space
4) The eagle is done just the camera picks up the 0.5mm dots of lost paint, I will be drybrushing for highlights

Thanks

and no mechrote red in sight

#12 ·
Dig this tutorial for how to take better pics Darth. The problem with the pics is mainly the fact that the flash is too bright which washes out the colours. Paint wise I think it looks good so far but needs to have highlights added to make it pop. On thing further I would suggest is to paint the sections between the joints (looks like tubing on the elbow, knee, etc) a different colour than black, possibly an black ink washed boltgun metal. That will help separate the areas of the armour a bit more. Also, consider using Chestnut ink in small, very watery amounts to wash the bone areas before highlights are added as it will really add a ton of depth.

#14 ·
i usually do plasma blue. Like turquoise blue slowly to ice blue, turns out really nice. Err, you should highlight the black with codex and shadowgrey 3:1 (im not sure as i havent done black except for tiny places). For tubing, watered down shadow grey would look nice. If you want something darker try fenris grey. Since its a character id go for the extra effort and fix up some different shades of grey for that eagle, touch up the insides. Its looking great but i always go for that extra mile for characters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.