Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this may be something that may seem strange for this community, but it's something I've wanted to work on for a while. This banner is not painted, its hand hooked in a very old school fashion. It's a linen-burlap backing with hand dyed wool for all the colors. My mother got me set up (I'm now a fourth generation hooker, yes, yes lol) and I will be doing this all myself. I plan on finishing the banner with a full wooden standard as well. The completed banner will be 3ft wide and 5 ft long. I'll continue to post pictures as I go on. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
That is some fine hooking, i'm sure your mother will be proud you've become such a talented hooker. :grin:

Very original project - looks like this will be immense when it's done!

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Pretty cool, is this a planned wall hanging or do you plan to mount it on a banner pole?

Edit: Derp, I fail at reading. I see your putting it on a wooden stand, now that I was showing the post to my wife.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I´m sure this will be a first grade eyecatcher, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the support! Glad you guys like it! Its going to be big, 5ft x 3ft, and this is my first hooking project, but I had a good teacher. Here's the finished Terminator Cross.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Looks awesome but I'm going to address the grox in the room and ask... what's hooking? Apart from what Boc does when it gets dark?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished the Aquila, it came out well. It looks better in person. As to the question, what is hooking? Besides the oldest profession, its just pulling colored wool through a burlap backing in a pattern. Its a very old art style from New England and Canada (I live in Mass), and my family has generations of rug hookers.
Heres an instructional video, not by me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's quite a large area for the scrollwork. took a while to fill in, though I'm working on other projects right now. If anyone is interested in their own custom banner, please message me and we can work on it!

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Excellent work :so_happy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts