Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to keep the discussion in one place and not derail other threads, here it is.

New assault/tacts from the new Blood Angels box all appear to be 32mm bases. Was this the case with the marines in the Stormreach box?

As @Einherjar667 says, let's not this devolve into crying about swapping out bases and such. Such comments are truly welcome, but not encouraged.

I'd just like to get to the bottom of this, and find out if we really are going to have to replace all of our bases on power-armoured (and, c'mon, also terminator armor if there is a change) minis.

On another thread it was pointed out that the rule is whatever base your mini comes with, that's legal to use. Sure, but you know how ridiculous players and tournaments are with rules restrictions, so any time it's left up to the players I feel it is a bad idea. I do feel as though jump infantry using a slightly larger base is less of a big deal and actually may do a bit of good in terms of keeping the mini upright.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well, I mean you could always just put the 25 MM bases on top of the 32mm ones. Though I have no idea really. The new Tyranids have oval bases too, in the SoB box set.

After all this, watch the new BA tax squad come with 25mm bases, haha.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I like the new size actually, makes the marines look a bit more imposing and most bases I have built usually have elements sticking out the sides. Seeing as there is no rules issue, I have 0 problems with this.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Be interesting if anything actually comes of it ruleswise. Unlike Fantasy, it's not as though a small base size increase improves the frontage that each model can face (a 20mm base versus 20mm can face 3 models, but usually faces 2 - whereas a 25 mm versus 20 mm typically faces 3 enemy models - a 20mm base of 5 wide is 100mm, but 25mm is 125mm wide for 5.

Something like:
20mm=light troops
32mm=medium troops (bulky)
40mm=heavy troops (very bulky)

Just thinking out loud.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
They are going to start tossing random bases ranging from 15mm to 130mm in each box. Not all of them just a random selection, never the same.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Something like:
20mm=light troops
32mm=medium troops (bulky)
40mm=heavy troops (very bulky)

Just thinking out loud.
Well, 25mm for light troops. I can't see bulky being 32mm - while the rule for bulky can change, so far such a change is completely irrelevant for many armies.

I can't see there being a rule without making light infantry completely irrelevant.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's an issue for deepstriking.

It's also an issue for consistency across minis. I had old old old Termies which I rebased when I got back into 40K. I did this to make them consistent with the new minis I was using. It also meant the lead minis stayed upright more often. I liked that.

What I'm less keen on is changing the bases now - potentially - for certain minis. Basically, I'm not convinced that it isn't an attempt to exert greater control over IP and to inhibit (at least temporarily) 3rd party base manufacturers.

It's not a biggie, but it is a pain. If true. We'll have to wait and see :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lot of angry people out there over something that will have little bearing over their current models. People seem to think they're going to have to rebase all their stuff which is ridiculous really, they're getting mad about arguments they've not even had lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the new base size is true, then I'll be rebasing all of my Blood Angels. I'm not going to cry about it, or bitch about it, because in the end, I won't have to glue 20 jump pack guys back together after every game because they keep falling over. I'm just wondering why they went with 32mm instead of something that makes sense, like 30mm...I guess to make them the same size as flying bases?

As for people getting mad about rebasing, it's probably because they've sunk hundreds of dollars into custom resin bases. I can see why that would be upsetting.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It would be totally upsetting if they HAD to rebase, but they don't, not only is there a rule in the BRB stating the fact but GW customer support have stated the fact you don't need to rebase, they've even said you don't need to use the 32mm bases for the new BA models, that you can still use the 20mm bases if you desire

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I was going to ignore the new base size (now that I'm totally proven wrong) and just use my multitude of spares for any new models I get for my marine armies. Now that I see these little rings you can add to beef it up maybe I'll go that route...although at over a dollar per ring I'll be making my own. At least there's people on solutions!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably the first of many solutions to come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts