Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Librarian-jump pack, -125
(Powers:Unleash Rage,Bloodt Lance-shooting str8 AP1,Lance)

Honor Guard-4veterans+1sanguinary priest n-jump pack.-165
weapons: 3meltagun,1strom shield+ meltagu),storm bolter-53

***Troops

Assault Squad X 10---2meltgun,1power fist --- 235
Assault Squad X 10---2meltgun,1power fist+infernus pistol --- 250

Assault Squad X 10---2 flamer---hand flamer ---210

***Elites
Sanguinary Priest X3 -jump pack,2X plasma pistol,1X hand flamer---265
( feel no pain,furios charge in 6'' )

4 flamers s4 ap5 template
3 hand flamers - s3 ap6 template
9 meltagun
1 infernus pistol
2 plasma pistol
3 fists

59 models

I need advice for tournament, BUT i want to compete only with jump pack guys

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
Librarian-jump pack, -125
(Powers:Unleash Rage,Bloodt Lance-shooting str8 AP1,Lance)
Solid choice, libby is good for the points but has no invulnerable save... chaplains are better for a low cost.

Honor Guard-4veterans+1sanguinary priest n-jump pack.-165
weapons: 3meltagun,1strom shield+ meltagu),storm bolter-53
Good choice allows you to avoid killing the HQ choice and FnP is good. I do not see the need for 3 meltas... over kill. Yes cheap, but why not put a PW in to aid in the assault?

***Troops

Assault Squad X 10---2meltgun,1power fist+infernus pistol --- 250
I do not understand why all of them have PF, yes they are good and auto kill and smash vechile but for points try PW and a melta bomb. With the furious charge you get str 5, that will break a lot of rear armor thanks to 5th ed.

I personally feel that this is a lot of points wasted on JP, drop one of these fora tactical with hvy weapon tio hold objectives.
Also might drop one or trim for a vindicator... mmmm fast pie plate dropper...

***Elites
Sanguinary Priest X3 -jump pack,2X plasma pistol,1X hand flamer---265
( feel no pain,furios charge in 6'' )
Solid choice! I like a power weapon on assault at int 5 however.... bt thats me...

flamers s4 ap5 template
3 hand flamers - s3 ap6 template
9 meltagun
1 infernus pistol
2 plasma pistol
3 fists
Hand flamers are iffy dependign on who you play but two flamers and a hand flamer thats a lotta hits....
59 models

I need advice for tournament, BUT i want to compete only with jump pack guys
If you want only JP guys... Sang guard and some power weapons and melta bombs would be my what I recommend....

·
Registered
990 Posts
For a tournament... OK;

Librarian & HG are fine. Unleash Rage is unnecessary as it tends to be overkill except against hard elites like TH/SS terminators, which are better off either ignored, shot, or torrented by multi-combats. IMO Shield will be ten times more useful since you can use a power in each turn then, but play about & see what you like.

3 RAS are fine - I would definitely keep the PF & meltaguns, a single melta bomb or 4 x S5 attacks is not effective insurance against tanks/mech, even if you're attacking AV10 (6s to pen with a PW!?). Plus if a Dreadnought charges you then your 10 man RAS are dead. If you think you'll need to kill troops then combat squad, PF & meltas can drop onto a tank whilst the other 5 men can go after troops, 5 FC FNP marines with an 18'' reach can thump harder than most people expect, even without power weapons.

The 2 RAS with flamers & HF can go, replace them with 2 units of Vanguards, a power fist & as many storm shields in each unit as you can fit, I actually run;

Vanguard Veterans
- Jump Packs
- Melta Bombs x 1
- Power Weapon x 1
- Storm Shield x 3
- Power Fist x 1

Expensive yes, but these can use their DOA & HI together to get the charge off & either cripple or tarpit anything, then I use my other units to just gang up & multiple combat them to death since the Storm Shields make them tough enough to last a few rounds of combat. I use this unit to take out Devastators way off in their back line, or hold/beat Tervigons & other multi wound MCs, basically they can do anything you don't think your RAS can handle, but support them with your RAS otherwise they will die.

Keep the SHP naked, they're 1 wound ICs so you don't want them in melee (unless you're charged & then you have no choice) & certainly don't want to give them a plasma pistol!!!

Dallas

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 4 the advice...but there is only one problem..with no flamers.....hordes can eat me up....

And i do think they are pretty expensive the vangurads for 255

·
Registered
990 Posts
Expensive but nigh essential IMO. Without VV you'll find you're more likely to struggle getting the charge off against their big units, especially against Nids & Eldar/DE. If you run 5 x 10 man RAS then you'll likely have to be starting your boys on the table (unless you want to be charged) & that kinda wastes the DOA special rule. I guess it's play style but my VV are well worth their points when they drop in & HI a big or nasty unit/MC, give it a hard few rounds of combat but importantly hold it in place so I can drop everything else into place & get some (multi) charges off next turn to finish it/them off. I'm not saying it's the only way but it's the way I know and it works for me.

Flamers are nice but if your 10 man FC assault squad can't wipe out a unit with lower initiative, say gaunts/guard/etc, then something is wrong. For me flamers are only worth having around for dealing with high initiative low toughness (I6-I7 & T3-T4 things like Fiends or Genestealers) since you'll get hurt badly before you can hit them.

Still, it's your army dude; go with what makes you happy :)

Dallas

·
Registered
697 Posts
Should get 2 baals to soften up the troops before you assault. Hold them in reserve and outflank, that way they aren't on the field alone first turn

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would have repped Dallas drake for the solid advice, but it seems that I have to spread some rep before...

Listen to him, the guy is giving solid advice. Vanguards will basically make the rest of your army survive till they can hit the enemy in CC and remove shooty threats in the rear field. If there are vehicles nearby to multi-assault the power fist will even do more damage. (I would upgrade it to TH, though, even removing the meltabombs if necessary).

BTW, fast vindicators, cool as they are are a really bad choice when you have your very expensive JP guys in his face, since a scatter will put you in a world of hurt.

And about flamers, it depends a little bit on your local metagame. Usually, since you have great mobility you can focus a rather large part of your army on a small part of his and overwhelm hordes, since they arrive to you piecemeal. At any rate, once you get stuck in CC those flamers don't add anything, so if you don't go with the VV I would at least switch the hand flamer for a PW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts