Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've recently started playing blood angels, (as i fancied a change of pace from playing with my tau all the time.) I've played a couple of games with them to varying results, Just trying out new units etc.

This is the first list I've really put much thought into and any advice / constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

HQ
Captain- Jump Pack, Power sword, Storm Bolter. -143Pts

Troop
Assault Squad- Standard 10 man Squad -190pts

Assault Squad- Standard 10 man Squad -190pts

Assault Squad- 5 man squad, one with meltagun -110pts

Death Company-5 Death Company-Bolt pistol, chain swords, jump packs.~Lemartes, Guardian of the Lost~-325 pts

Elite

Sanguinary Guard 5 Sanguinary Guard, 1 has infernos Pistol -210pts

Sanguinary Priest(~Attached to Sanguinary Guard~)-Power Sword, Jump pack, Bolt pistol.-90pts

Fast Attack

Baal Preditor Flamestorm Cannon, Heavy Flamer Side Sponsons -140pts

Attack Bike Squadron 1 attack bike with Multi-Melta-50pts

Land Speeder Squadron 1 Land Speeder with Multi-Melta -60pts

Total:: -1498pts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well, it's not that good of a list, really. I don't have the codex at hand, but I can give a couple of advices, since I see many issues that would need fixing.

HQ: A bland captain is not the best you could get for the points. A cheap librarian would do better and help the army with the powers (blood lance vs vehicles, sanguinius shield to protect the jump squads, the rage power to bolster the assault of a unit or two, and a psychich hood to protect from psychich powers etc)

Troops: Your assault squads are lacking any special weapon, which should be their main strength. A power weapon or power fist really multiply the strength of the unit in assault, and a couple of flamers make them great anti-infantry units (ignore cover and hits a ton of miniatures) or a couple of meltas vs tanks (bolters rounds simply bound off the armour). A standard loadout for 10 man assault squads is two special weapons (you choose, anti-infantry or anti-mech) and a thunder hammer, power fist or power weapon on the sarge.

Just remember that if you pick the power weapon, you can end up with the unit stuck in combat with a walker or monstruous creature that you cannot win, so it's advisable to get meltabombs. Otherwise you will need another unit to come to the rescue.

The death company is pretty expensive for what it brings to the table, moreso with jump-packs. Also, the fact that you cannot control it (since due to the rage it's more your opponent who determines where it goes) have made it quite impopular in the new codex. They're pretty fluffy, however, so if you really want to take them, it's up to you, I just wanted to point out that they're not overly competitive (you can get a full 10 man RAS with a power fist and two meltaguns and attached priest for about the sime price than your 5 man with lemartes). The DC would also benefit from a couple of power weapons and a thunder hammer or fist.

Elites: The sanguinary guard are kind of ok, but you can get a honour guard (which comes with a built-in priest) for about the same cost IIRC. Also another priest to attach to your assault squads would be nice.

Fast attack:This section suffers from a clear lack of focus and redundancy. One thing I've learned with BAs is that they perform well either all mech or all jump packs (to cause target saturation), but the middle ground tends to fail. If you have a single tank walking around (even if it outflanks), each and every anti-tank weapon has one single clear target, the baal predator. So it's going to get blown up before it gets to do anything. If you have multiple, you can ensure that at least one is going to survive to do it's job, but if you have only one you can count on it dying. The same goes for the lone speeder and the lone bike; they're easy killpoints.

Generally speaking, an attack bike and a MM speeder are good ways to bring fast melta to the table, but you should pick one type and multiples of it to ensure that it's going to do it's job.

And personally, I prefer assault cannon-heavy bolter baals to flamestorms. Flamestorms bring you too close and personal, where every melta and powerfist is going to say hello to your tank.

A good start would be:
Librarian, Jump Pack, Blood Lance + Shield of Sanguinius (125)

Honour Guard, Jump Packs, Meltagun x3 (195)

2x Sanguinary Priest, Jump Pack, Power weapon (180)

Assault Squad x10, Meltagun x2, Power Fist (235)
Assault Squad x10, Meltagun x2, Power Fist (235)
Assault Squad x10, flamer x2, Power Fist (225)

And you could complete it with multiple choices, for example:

Vanguard Veterans x7, Jump Packs, Glaive + Storm shield, THammer, L Claw + Storm Shield, (295) with some 10 points to spare in meltabombs, for example

OR

Two units of MM attack bikes or land speeders

OR

some baals

OR

a dreadnought in a pod

I personally prefer the VV, since that way you deny your opponent of any real use he would make of his anti-tank weapons, and they can come in and assault the turn they arrive, protecting the rest of your army. Also, since they're 7 they can manage a multi-assault, hopefully with a vehicle. The TH would ensure then that the vehicle won't use its weapons next turn.

My tactics with the list I suggested would be deepstriking with everything, trying to concentrate all firepower in one flank (refused flank), blow every transport/vehicle in melta range, and then (multi-)assault with the VV, creating a blob of CC that protects the rest of your army from enemy shots, use shield of sanguinius if needed too.

The list is risky, and reserves are always a gamble, but with the speed of the list it should work decently.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
One comment...
Sanguinary Guard 5 Sanguinary Guard, 1 has infernos Pistol -210pts
Sanguinary Priest(~Attached to Sanguinary Guard~)-Power Sword, Jump pack, Bolt pistol.-90pts

You're giving FNP to guys with a 2+ but no Invo... so smart enemies will shoot that squad with things that autokill them... so it's sort of wasted on the nippleboys.

Elkhantar has some good advice in his post (+3 for being keen as mustard)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with the Sang Priest on the Sang Guard. I'd rather put the Priests behind the Assault Squads, that way your troops have FNP, and no worries to be attacked by heavy guns.

On a personal note I rather include Inferno pistols instead of Meltas, but that's just me. Include what suits you best. And maybe you can benefit of one or two Furioso Dreads instead of your tanks, and let your infantry take care of your opponent's big tanks. If they all are packing JP, I reckon they're going to be all over your opponent faster than you can say "Holly Sanguinus".

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.