Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two lists for a game against Tau this weekend. One at 1500 and one at 1850. C&C please.

BA 1500
HQ
-Reclusiarch (jump pack)-155

Elite
-Sanguinary Priest (power weapon, jump pack)-95
-Furioso Librarian (extra armor, wings, shield of sanguinius, magna-grapple, heavy flamer)-215

Troops
-Assault Squad (2x meltagun, PF)-235
-Tactical Squad (meltagun, missile launcher, power weapon, melta bombs)-260
--Rhino (extra armor)
-Scout Squad (sniper rifles, heavy bolter, cammo cloaks)-100

FA
-Baal Pred (Flamestorm cannon, extra armor, dozer blade)-135
-Baal Pred (heavy bolters, extra armor, storm bolter) -170

Heavy
-Predator (Lascannons)-135

Total-1500

BA 1850
HQ
-Dante-225

Elites
-Terminator Assault Squad (3x TH/SS, 2x LC)-490
--Land Raider (extra armor, multi-melta)

Troops

Troops
--Rhino (extra armor)

FA

Heavy

Total-1850

·
Registered
361 Posts
Two lists for a game against Tau this weekend. One at 1500 and one at 1850. C&C please.
BA 1500
HQ
(I'd replace him with a jump Librarian. Give him Fear of the Darkness and Unleash Rage)
Elite
(This guy is only 90 points (50+25+15) )
-Furioso Librarian (extra armor, wings, shield of sanguinius, magna-grapple, heavy flamer)-215
(I really doubt Shield is worth it. To get a 5+ cover sv you have to walk? Pass. Take Blood Lance and pop suits hiding behind things.)

Troops
--Rhino (extra armor)
(I'd rather have another RAS, but... Stick these guys into a tl HF Razorback instead. Then use the Razor as a light tank while the infantry hold a home objective. Or put a Combat Squad inside and rush them into the Firewarriors.)
(Missile Launcher instead of HB and give the Sergeant a power weapon.)

FA
(Why bother? You don't need AP3 for FW or Kroot and a single wound on suits just makes them mad. You could get 5 DC in a Drop Pod or some bikes. Nearly anything else would be more effective.)

Heavy

Total-1500

BA 1850
HQ
-Dante-225

Elites
(see above)
(Because he needs something large and expensive to ventilate with Railgun slugs? If you are tailoring this army to fight Tau then a Land Raider is pointless. For 250 points you could field Sanguinary Guard with the Chapter Banner, a Power Fist and an Infernus Pistol. You'll gain a bad ass scoring unit to support Dante and I'll bet dollars to donuts the terminators get into combat more consistently just by teleporting behind some cover.)

Troops

Troops (see above)
--Rhino (extra armor)

FA
(see above)

Heavy

Total-1850

Hope some of my comment help.:grin:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/COLOR]
BA 1500
HQ
(I'd replace him with a jump Librarian. Give him Fear of the Darkness and Unleash Rage)
Fair enough, except I don't have a Libby fig to use, and I want to keep my proxies to a minimum. In fact, most of my choices (especially in troops) are made because those are the figs I have avalible.
Elite
(This guy is only 90 points (50+25+15) )
He has melta-bombs too. My bad.
(I really doubt Shield is worth it. To get a 5+ cover sv you have to walk? Pass. Take Blood Lance and pop suits hiding behind things.)
Except for the fact that you cast Shield at the beginning of the opponents shooting phase, and since I can't use wings during his turn I don't see what the drawback it. Anything that makes him think more about where he wants to spend his markerlights is good for me. Besides, you talk about being forced to walk; I would have to walk if I wanted to use lance.

Troops
--Rhino (extra armor)
(I'd rather have another RAS, but... Stick these guys into a tl HF Razorback instead. Then use the Razor as a light tank while the infantry hold a home objective. Or put a Combat Squad inside and rush them into the Firewarriors.)
I don't have another RAS or a Razorback.
(Missile Launcher instead of HB and give the Sergeant a power weapon.)
Don't have a ML. Why would I take a power weapon on a sniper squad that will never see CC?

FA
(Why bother? You don't need AP3 for FW or Kroot and a single wound on suits just makes them mad. You could get 5 DC in a Drop Pod or some bikes. Nearly anything else would be more effective.)
He'll still want to stay away from this tank. I was planning on using it to either help corral him into a corner, or as an outflanker, do press him to the middle. However, I see your point, I'll probably drop the storm bolter on the second pred and make this a TLAC/HB pred too.

Heavy

Total-1500

BA 1850
HQ
-Dante-225

Elites
(see above)
(Because he needs something large and expensive to ventilate with Railgun slugs? If you are tailoring this army to fight Tau then a Land Raider is pointless. For 250 points you could field Sanguinary Guard with the Chapter Banner, a Power Fist and an Infernus Pistol. You'll gain a bad ass scoring unit to support Dante and I'll bet dollars to donuts the terminators get into combat more consistently just by teleporting behind some cover.)
You make a very good point. I guess I fell into the trap of wanting to get more "cool stuff" on the table. If I don't take the raider I won't take the Termies, since I have terrible luck with them if they aren't in a transport. So what should I use those 490 points for? I have a couple MM bikes, some DC w/JPs, and a couple of dreads. Maybe a honor guard for Dante? Unfortunately I don't have any Sanguinary Guard.

Troops

Troops (see above)
--Rhino (extra armor)

FA
(see above)

Heavy

Total-1850

Hope some of my comment help.:grin:
They are much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I agree with the flamestorm. AP3 is unnecessary on tau and the template isn't decent enough range IMO. take a normal baal and if you're not using outflank you've got a potential 60" kill range ( 18" scout move, 18" normal move, 24" shooting range) and if you do outflank you're more likely to take on the suits and 4 shots are better than 1 template.

The scouts I disagree with. There's no need for a power weapon for if those guys need a power weapon something's gone wrong. The special weapon is really if you want to have them balanced, good with infantry and vehicles(ML) or purely infantry(HB)

The tactical I'd combat squad and keep the missile launcher closer to the home objective so they can fire that the whole time and cover the rhino. if you pay 5 pts more you could swap the power weapon and meltabombs for a fist, personal choice really I just find more attacks more effective than the one attack from a bomb

for the 1850 list I would recommend DC over the terminators. they are a tau nightmare so they will soak up the fire like gun-sponges and even if they don't make it to the enemy lines your other units are pretty much untouched so they've made their points back.

the land raider itself though I've used in a tau list and they've been effective. simple strategy though. Keep it as a battle tank. have it in your lines with the predator right up in front of it. obscured as half the model is behind the predator, but with height and width it's cannons can still fire. even if the pred still gets destroyed it'll leave cover so it's not a bad idea. just some food for thought :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you've got a potential 60" kill range ( 18" scout move, 18" normal move, 24" shooting range)
Keep in mind that I can't fire after moving 18" (flat out), but I understand the point you are making.

if you pay 5 pts more you could swap the power weapon and meltabombs for a fist, personal choice really I just find more attacks more effective than the one attack from a bomb
True, and having a PF would be ideal, unfortunately I lack a Tac Sgt. modeled with a fist; so sad...

the land raider itself though I've used in a tau list and they've been effective. simple strategy though. Keep it as a battle tank. have it in your lines with the predator right up in front of it. obscured as half the model is behind the predator, but with height and width it's cannons can still fire. even if the pred still gets destroyed it'll leave cover so it's not a bad idea. just some food for thought :)
I hadn't thought of that before. An interesting tactic. Unfortunately in this situation I think blowing 250 more points on my DC will be what I end up doing. Lemartes 'aint cheap, you know.
Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As a Tau player, I'd suggest you simply bring as many jump marines as you can. We love to stay at range and focusing on one target then moving on. Blood Angels, especially with sanguinary priests, can present many durable, fast moving targets for Tau to deal with simultaneously.

Generally speaking Tau are bad in CC, but we do have some very nice units that a smart general will use to his/her advantage that you will need to deal with. First off is the kroot. Hated far and wide, these mercenary scumbags are one of the most vital units in the Tau codex because they can infiltrate and form a wall around the Tau deployment, forcing any would be assaulter to hit them first. They will die quickly, but at WS and S 4, they aren't horrid themselves. If you can avoid the kroot, do so and continue to the juicier parts of the Tau.

The juciey parts are our vehicles and suits, which you can deal with in much the same way, shoot them with a meltagun. At T 4, crisis suits will suffer instant death from a melta shot and the disruption pod is useless if you can get within 12", also your melta range. Shoot then assualt if you can avoid the kroot who buy Tau an extra round of shooting at close range.

If you want to bring some long range fire support, remember to prioritize crisis suits and broadsides first, as these are the real teath of the Tau army. S8 AP 3/2 or better should do the job for you if you want to try to outshoot Tau. It's not a great proposition, but it is possible for most armies if they can get in a good first round of shooting.

I would advise against bringing vehicles, as there is nothing we love better than vehicle killing. We have long range railguns and fast moving or deep striking meltaguns to deal with enemies who move fast.

I, in general suggest bringing assault marines with jump packs for three reasons: 1. they can do whatever you need them to do (kill tanks and infantry) 2. they move quickly and can use cover to become more durable against AP 3/2 shots and 3. a single raingun shot can kill a rhino and make the squad inside move only as fast as standard infantry, it cannot however slow but one marine in a jump pack squad, albiet permenantly.

Have a good time, hopefully reading all of this hasn't borred you too much, and happy wargaming.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tau area tough opponent. as an army they realy on screens and movement blockers to prevent your from getting to the meat of their army and their amazing volume of fire. There fore Jumpers do a good job of hopping those but then you leave yourself vulnerable to their shooting around the clock. I would suggest you take a mostly jumper army with some significant fire support to help you shoot your way through their fscreens so you can make it tot heir crisis suits.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
54" tactical range then sorry Wasn't paying proper attention to what I was at hehehe

Most boxes come with a fist so you're bound to have some lying around, if not keep him away from suits, make him assault the normal guys and have the fist sergeant take on the suits. Sorted then.

Using the land raider points for the DC as well you'd have a very large squad so there's a good chance they'd get to the lines in enough numbers. Best load out I see is 2 power weapons, a thunder hammer and a few infernus pistols. Balanced unit that doesn't have too many points invested in special equipment that can be lost early on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts