Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With their flaming red 'put a target on me and try to conserve my geneseed when I'm gone' paint scheme, what makes Blood Angels more than just a fashion statement?

This thread is for analyzing what makes BAs different from the other chapters.
Please stay on topic or Jezlad will beat your favorite arcade high score just to spite you.

So, does BA = 'Bad Ass'? Why or why not?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The obvious difference people like to glom onto with Blood Angels is our rather impressive Assault capabilities. But let's not forget that there are other chapters (Wolves, Templars) and other armies (Nids, Chaos, Orks) that do assault as well or better.

The important thing to realize is that the Blood Angels are an army that does assault well, but we are not, nor have we ever been, in any edition, a purely Assault Army. Blood Angels back in the olden days were almost indistinguishable from regular marines as far as unit composition and availability went. In 2nd edition we had the Death Company (which was optional and you didn't have to pay extra for it if you didn't want it), but without Jump Packs, and the Baal predator. Dante could also take Jump Packs in his retinue, but I don;t think they were standard for all HG units of the day.

We still had tactical squads and devastators, and back then our dreadnoughts only came with one hand. The example armies laid out in the old Angels of Death codex all had strong assault elements, usually at least one assault squad and a mounted Death Company, but they always included a very strong firebase to support the assault spearhead. Devastator squads were always part of the old layouts, as were tacticals. No special rules shoehorned us into playing as assaulters, and even the Death Company were given bolters as often as not.

When Third Edition came out we got our assualt role further enhanced and defined. The entire army gained Furious Charge, we were limited to pistol/CCW scouts (except for one squad), the Furioso Dreadnought made its debut, Death Company, Honor Guards and Veterans got their jump packs, and the Black Rage made us want to put down our lascannons and move into action. But even then, we were not a pure assault army. Not compared to assault monsters like World Eaters and Tyranids.

No, 3rd edition may have changed our role, but it didn't make us a genuine assault army because it never took away our impressive amounts of firepower. Wolfpacks of land speeders ranged ahead of fearsome Baal predators (now equipped with Heavy Bolters rather than restrictive heavy flamers as our only sponson option). The now intimidating assault element was backed up by either small, efficient fire teams, or by larger, all-purpose squads, often lugging along a powerfist sarge, should they randomly charge out of their firing position and end up getting close enough for an impromptu assault push.

While to some people, this era defined Blood Angels as straight up assault, to most it showed not just the need for an assault army to have good support, but showcased our ability to provide just that kind of support. The best, strongest, winningest, Blood Angels lists were balanced lists. A strong assault element (usually at least one assault squad and the Death Company, along with whatever characters the army called for) mated with the kind of awesome fire support that Marines can deliver.

The Fourth Edition codex took away our Furious Charge, but also our 'crazy go nuts' roll. Now Blood Angels can use heavy weapons again without fearing a 1 in 6 chance of moving and spoiling shots. They gave us assault marines as troops, but they also gave us a ton of shooting enhancements. The ability to split our Dev squads up (either taking two different weapon types and having one combat squad for tanks and one for troops, or just splitting the squad up to kill two tanks at once), the ability to separate the assault element from the shooting element of our tactical squads, the increased viability of Multimelta bikes, and, of course, flying meltaguns.

Through it all, they've enhanced our assault ability, but they never took away all of the rest of the things that made us Space Marines. We still have access to all the big guns, we still have the scary tanks. But we've morphed from vanilla with a tiny bit of assault flavor, into assault oriented but with a strong support core, into a run-and-gun mobile shooting force with the ability to go toe to toe and win.

Despite the return of stable fire support to our army rules, the points economy of the newly priced heavy weapons (not to mention the added cost for the mandatory DC marine) makes static fire support squads less desireable than in the old days. Instead, the wise Blood Angel player knows better than to dump points into expensive shooters, but also knows not to go all-in on assault without support. The smart choice lies in the center. A fast, balanced list that focuses on mobile firepower coupled with assault capability. "Run and Gun" and "Mobile Melta" become the bywords of the day.

I'll go into details and tactics later, this is mainly just a history of our chapter and what sets us apart from both assault-heavy chapters like templars, and from the more generic marines.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Amen Galahad, I think you just covered everything that anyone will ever need to say in this tactica. from here on out, it's all about specific units, we've got a feel for the army.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ya that was real good Galahad.

Only thing I could add is that BA pay more for heavy weapons and land speeders than regular SM...but they get units like attack bikes that are much cheaper and very mobile....It's not a balance issue, just that you might pay a little extra for popular units like landspeeder tornados compared to regular SM.

Once again....damn...very nice post galahad

Alias

·
Registered
538 Posts
is it a disadvantage to be forced to have either a 5 man or 10 man sqd only?
being able to split into 2 5 man scoring units can be a big plus. just wondering pts wise if it messes up any lists you want to do.

·
Registered
250 Posts
personally i like the 10 man tac squads. thye allow you to have a scoring unit with enough fire power to hold its own. but it mostly depends on the type of battle and what army your up against

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm just glad it came out coherent. I wrote that way after bedtime, and I tend to ramble when I'm sleepy ;-)

Alias brings up a good point, one I touched on briefly towards the end. They never took away the stuff that makes us like regular marines, but they did make it more expensive. We can use many of the same tactics as normal marines, but it;s not very efficient. Better instead to do things our own way.

Deceiver, the Combat Squads rule is a two edged sword, to be sure. Especially in a points-heavy list like Blood Angels (do the math on oursquads and you'll see that the initial 5-man buy in includes paying for a veteran sarge, and extra points for the Death Company marine we supposedly get for free)

For Devastators it's not that bad. Most people tend to field 8-10 man dev squads already. Buying the couple extra guys is no loss compared to being able to split up before deployment and come out with two highly lethal fire teams for the price of one.

Similarly, Assault Squads tend towards 8-10 men in most classic marine lists, so you're just buying a couple extra bodies (and we get a discount on our 'free' DC marine with assault squads, so the extra cost is partially mitigated), and from what I've seen, multiple 5-man squads assaulting the same target can actually be pretty effective. Unfortunately I haven't got a lot of experience with the assault squad combat squad tactics. I tend to rely on the DC and VAS for my main assault thrust.

If anyone has made extensive use of Combat Squads (or just plain 5-man units) in their Assault Squads, please let us hear how they work.

The big impact of the Combat Squads rule, however, was on the Tactical Squad.

Back in 3rd ed, the 5-6 man Las/Plas squad was king. It was very cheap but highly effective static fire support. The combat Squads rule, however, restricts heavy weapons to 10 man teams. This was a big blow to the old tactics. Now if you want that small fire team you have to buy an extra 5 marines to stand around and do nothing, or to break off and be generally ineffective on their own.

However, it does lead to some interesting options. Rather than going with a bloated 10-man fire team, or a 5 man squad with no weapons and a small fireteam, you have a couple of options that, when combined with our cheaper transports can be fairly effective.

The first option is to simply take a 5 man team and either issue them a plasgun, or if you have the points, a Fist and a Melta. In either case, mounting them up in a rhino is a good idea.

With the plasgun team it allows you to either position this mini-fireteam where they'll be most effective, or lets you use them as a rapid fire hit and run squad (if that's your intent, throwing in a plas pistol might be worth the expense). The rhino can become a mobile wall or, if it gets slagged, becomes an instant harden firing position for your fireteam. You could also buy a lascannon razorback instead of a rhino and come out slightly cheaper than buying the extra 5 men, but these tanks are fragile, so it;s not adviseable unless you have a lot of other armor in the list.

For the melta/fist squad the utility of the turbo-charged rhino becomes obvious. Use its speed to bring your meltagun and powerfist into the fray where they can be used to rape tanks or take on hevy infantry in an assault.

The second option we have is to buy a 10 man squad and do that exact same thing, except with the addition of a 5-man team standing back with a missile launcher (lascannons are too expensive these days) adding ranged fire support.

There's a couple down sides to the second option, however. Not only does it add points to an already expensive troop choice, but in Escalation games, units with transports are forced to deploy from reserve...which means they cannot be split off into combat squads. For some configurations (Plasgun, ML and rhino) this isn't too bad, and the rhino can just become a wall to hide your men behind, but for others like the melta/fist/ML team you end up with a mismatched mix of weapons that will end up excluding one another in most cases. Worse still, if you bought a Razorback, now you have a transport that you can't even use since the whole squad no longer fits inside. Though you can always deploy the razor on its own as a light tank in that case.

Escalation games can play merry hob with our combat squads.

Ill start coming up with specific unit tactics for our signature units tomorrow, probably. I have to start getting ready for work soon. I might post after work, or I might get some sleep first. In the meantime, if any other BA players have something of their own to add, or people have more questions, fire away. Everyone's free to contribute

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
If anyone has made extensive use of Combat Squads (or just plain 5-man units) in their Assault Squads, please let us hear how they work.
I've never once used a full 10 man unit of Assault Marines with my Flesh Tearers but I frequently make use of 5 strong units.

Many players will raise an eyebrow at the idea of taking a dedicated assault unit that's only 5 men strong, but if equipped and used properly these small but deadly units can be very effective for their cost.

Firstly, their equipment. My Assault Squads look like this:

Assault Squad
Veteran Sergeant
- Bolt pistol
- Power Fist
- Jump Pack
4 Assault Marines
- Bolt pistols
- Chainswords
- Jump packs
Pts: 165

I'll take two of these units to meet my minimum 2 Troops choices. Other than these, I tend to steer clear of the Troops section altogether, though that's another topic.

Since Blood Angel armies tend to be so full of nasty assault units as it is (what with having access to Veteran Assault Squads ((or VAS)) and Death Company) people tend to ignore the little 5 man units in favor of trying to slow or stop the more threatening units from reaching their lines intact. This gives the Assault Squads relatively free reign to either aid the larger units in their attack by charging in and adding more attacks and bodies to the fight or to threaten other units. Often I'll find myself charging a unit that my Veterans or Death Company can't charge yet in order to hold them in place.

Also since Assault Squads are so often ignored, they're usually above half strength by the end of the game and therefore count as scoring units. Since they have jump packs they're able to move quickly enough to grab objectives or table quarters.

Hope this helps a bit,

Katie D

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
That helps a lot, Katie!
Not a fan of 15 point plaspistols? :wink:

Now on to what (I feel) makes for an effective BA list.

HQ
Good News/Bad News time...

Good news is, our named charaters are all very awesome and each one well worth the points (except, as always, Tycho...poor, dead Tycho).

The bad news is our normal HQ character choices are all kinda...lame.

Captains are a big 'meh'...but then they were always pretty boring. They come with an Iron Halo and a third wound, which is cool, and Rites of Battle is ok (not super great now that every squad is Ld9, but still nice) but just bland. Our armament choices are severely limited compared to the pick and choose of the old Armoury list. Be sure to note that the combi-weapon or Storm Bolter is in *addition* to his other weapons, so he won't lose attacks for having one. May as well go for Storm Bolter, maybe a Combi-Melta, but SB is cheaper and will get more use. Best weapon choice: Either Power Weapon or Lightning Claws, depending on your budget. Never buy fists or hammers for ICs unless you have a free power-weapon (like your chaplain does). Always buy jump packs.

DIY Sanguinary High Priests are a thing of the past, sorry guys.

Librarian: Only one type (besides Mephy), only two powers, no access to Invul saves (except as a Terminator), no jump packs! (Yes, we have the fruity Wings of Sanguinius power, but if you use it you can't use any other power or your force weapon that turn...and it can be blocked by hoods, could make you suffer warp, eldar mind tricks, etc). Wings of Sanguinius is a cruel joke. Might of Heroes is nice though, good for when you go against squads instead of monsters.

If you have the points, consider a bike. The extra toughness will help, and it's more reliable than wings...plus you can make it a jet bike if you use your power on it. Otherwise, perhaps Terminator.

Chaplains: The de-facto head of almost any BA army...you need a chaplain. No matter what else you take, one of your HQ should be a chaplain. You need him to keep the DC from chasing transports or running around like idiots. Likewise, he needs a Jump Pack, or maybe a Bike.

Other than that, I wouldn't arm him up too much, keep him cheap so you won't cry when he goes down in CC. If you want to spend some points though, consider a Powerfist. The DC lost their fists (but gained Rending), so a reliable high-strength attack for use against vehicles would be handy. Rending is good, but not super reliable. I frown on fists for ICs because it wastes their high initiative and they usually end up getting killed before they can use it, if they're up against a real threat. However, the chaplain comes with a free power weapon, so he can use that when he's up against most threats and the fist for armor. That or a Storm Bolter to add some firepower to the DC. Either one is in addition to his CA and pistol.

Now, all that said, if you want a tough, competitive list your best bet is usually to scrap the generics and go for Name Brand. Our Named Characters really are fantastic!

I know a lot of people prefer to invent their own, or can't justify the fluff of having the legends of the chapter leading their little band...well, that's what Counts As rules are for. Eldrad has been dead for some time in the current fluff, but that won't stop him from leading every Eldar army you're going to end up facing at the tourney table. Call them Assistant Librarian Draculon and his friend Father O'Malleus if you like. Give them new, unique models if you want to. Just take advantage of their abilities and stats.

Dante:
Dante is pretty badass, but the amount of cool characters makes him second or even third choice. For 100 points over the cost of a regular captain you get +1 WS, +1 Attack, Artificer Armor, Jump Pack a MC power axe, a meltagun that counts as a pistol, Favored Enemy on all friendly BA units within 12", and -1 to BS and WS to enemy models within 6". Plus he gives you access to the Chapter Banner, which gives +1A to all members of the HG (and attacked ICs). This is a fantastic character, but he's not even our best!

Tycho:...ok, screw Tycho. No, really, he's freaking useless. No power weapon (not even a CCW!) no Jump Pack, a useless special rule (Favored enemy orks doesn't mean much when you're WS5)...I mean, yes, he has artificer armor and a combi-melta for only 10 points over a captain but that's *all* he has.

Corbulo:
Corbsy is a cool character, and dirty cheap. Same cost as a Captain, but instead of Rites of Battle and an Iron halo he gets the Red Grail and the ability to lead the DC, plus an Exanguinator. The only real problem is that's about all he gets. No JP and no power weapon. (Though at least he was smart enough to pack a pistol and sword, unlike Tycho) This is a problem though, since his abilities are going to put him at the forefront of our assault forces. The Grail gives all BA units that are within 12" at the start of the assault phase Furious Charge. It also gives him a 4+ invul. Unfortunately, putitng him in with the DC is a waste since they don't benefit from the Grail, and his lack of mobility only slows them down.

However, if you want a low-cost HQ, take Corbsy and a Chaplain. Put the chappy with the DC and throw Corbsy into a Crusader with some CC Terminators, or a tooled up Honour Guard (VAS would work better, but their JPs are problematic. Dropping them grants you a free transport, but you don;t want to put them in a rhino...I suppose you could always run the rhino empty as a decoy) Or if you're cheap, pack them into a rhino and pray.

Mephiston: Oh, god...I think I need to change my pants, hold on.
Ok, seriously, this guy is the biggest, hardest, most vicious IC in this or any other army list. The only close matches are Abaddon and Mephistion's evil twin Jeffiston. Just about anyone else can only really hope to take him out with them.

For 105 more than a standard Librarian you get... +1 WS, +1S, +1T, +1W, +1I, +1A, +1LD, a 2+ save, Fearless, Feel No Pain(!!), a Plaspistol, a third power, and the ability to use ALL THREE powers AND his FW in the same turn!
To make things even juicier, Feel No Pain *will* allow him to ignore Perils of the Warp wounds. T5 means he only fears Railguns, heavy ordinance and Dreadnought CCWs. Anything that isn't a power weapon or instant death can be shrugged off with his Feel no Pain. The wings become a good thing here since they get this monster into CC and don't interfere with his other abilities.

Mephiston is one evil, scary mofo, but he's not quite indestructable. No invul save means that Power Weapons are a real threat to him in CC, particularly Dreadnought CCWs and Force Weapons/Blissgivers (and maybe Direswords, but not with his LD score). Fortunately, he's got a higher initiative score than all but the fastest characters, and even then there are very, very few who can actually outdraw the man. His Transfixing Gaze is always worth a try, but not really all that reliable. The characters you *want* it to work on (ICs, powerfist Vets) tend to ave high leadership scores and will shrug it off. Meanwhile, transfixed models count as their own one-man unit when it comes to how to direct attacks, so he has to choose whether to waste all his attacks utterly obliterating one model, or spend them killing everyone else in the unit. Meanwhile the transfixed model survives when, had he been able to move, he'd probably get cut down.

Mephy is expensive, but worth the investment in all but the smallest lists. Have one of your little 5-man assault teams fly ahead of him to block shots and pick off nay transfixed models in the assault.

Last, but by far not least...
Lemartes: At first glance, Good Ole Lemmy doesn't look very special at all. But take a look at his price. For 25 points more than a normal Chappy you get +1W and +1LD, a Jump Pack (there's 20 points right there), and the Death Mask, which gives -1 LD to enemies within 6"

So assuming you were going to give your chaplain a JP anyhow, 5 points buys you better stats and a -1 LD to enemy models. There's no reason *not* to take the bastard in place of a normal chaplain, unless you were going to go for terminator or biker or something...and even then, the extra stats are tempting.

Lemartes may not be as impressive as Dante or Mephiston, but he's going to appear in almost every Blood Angels list

Oh, and lest we forget...
Honour Guard: Here's an important thing to remember about BA (and DA) command units...they are no longer Retinue. They do not take up FOC slots, but they are no longer tied to your IC. They are free to do their own thing. This is good, because the VAS really makes a much better escort unit for our assault-heavy ICs, while the HG makes a great solo unit.

Despite being limited to 5 men, they still make a potent assault threat, but are no match for even a 5 man VAS. They work best as either flying or mounted troubleshooters. They can take a pair of plaspistols in addition to a pair of special weapons and/or a pair of power weapons/fists. So you could have, say, a pair of plasguns (or meltas) and a pair of plaspistols, plus a pair of special melee weapons on the pistol guys (though losing a fist to a plasma burn sucks, and these are expensive options)

The specialists are mostly not worth taking, except possibly the Sanguinary Priest. Having a medic on hand is awesome in an expensive unit, especially if you plan to sling plasma around. Just remember the Exang doesn't work in assault anymore.

Standard Bearer is usually a waste. If you have Dante he might be worth it, maybe.

Champion is a joke. Compare him to the VAS where you could have three guys armed just like him but for 5 points less apiece.

Tech Adept is a remarkably good value (PW, Arty armor and the ability to fix tanks for +30), but still not really worth it unless you're trying to field a HG unit in place of a techmarine...but even then the techie does his job better and doesn't waste a premier assault team to do it.

Still, though, as a small assault team they're a good buy. With JPs they're only 10 points more than a regular assault squad and have the extra attack and leadership. They also have good weapon choices, though not as good as the VAS. They're a good unit, just really not as good as the VAS for most things. Their slightly better firepower (plaspistol options in addition to guns) and ability to include a medic make them a good run and gun unit, if you want to spend the points.

That's it for now. More to come, of course.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just started my BA army and I pretty much fight ork or chaos. My Ork opponent recently told me about a squad he's building and I'd like to know how you'd deal with them. A 30 man slugga boy squad, with Grotznik leading them giving them feel no pain, cybork bodies giving them a 5+ invulnerable, and now he's talking about adding a warphead. I've played against this army once with my Guard army but the only reason i won was by killing everything but this squad, and ignoring (running away from) his uber squad. With such small squad numbers, how would you deal with such a durable and huge squad?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I just started my BA army and I pretty much fight ork or chaos. My Ork opponent recently told me about a squad he's building and I'd like to know how you'd deal with them. A 30 man slugga boy squad, with Grotznik leading them giving them feel no pain, cybork bodies giving them a 5+ invulnerable, and now he's talking about adding a warphead. I've played against this army once with my Guard army but the only reason i won was by killing everything but this squad, and ignoring (running away from) his uber squad. With such small squad numbers, how would you deal with such a durable and huge squad?
This unit will be hard to deal with no matter what. Thankfully Blood Angel armies are usually highly mobile so you shouldn't have too much difficulty in avoiding this big uber squad until a time comes where you're ready to deal with them. When it comes to actually taking them down the best you can do is just hit them with everything that you've got. Baal Predators, Devastators, even large numbers of bolters will eventually cause enough wounds to bring this unit down. This is one time when I'd advise taking a Vindicator as the unit will have to rely completely upon their 5+ Invulnerable save to avoid Instant Death at the hands of the Vindicator's Demolisher cannon.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yeah, Katie's got it. A 30 man squad is a tough nut for anyone to crack, but thankfully they're too big for a transport so we can outrun them. Baal predators are golden here. And if you know he's bringing da boyz, consider swapping a few multimelta bikes out for HB bikes. Just keep your distance, use cover and no not engage them.

Likewise, Vindicators are handy here (I like vindis, but they tend to die fast), so are whirleinds. Park a whirlie behind something and just drop some napalm

·
Registered
267 Posts
Landraider Prometheus....

while technically a legal grey area for BA, [until the long overdue IA FAQ comes out] I field them as 0-1 Heavy Support.

12x Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters and a Storm Bolter make a mess of anything.

I like to call it my "Weedwacker" of cover saves....

I remember killing 7 Thousands Sons in one shooting phase where my opponent rolled horribly for saves....

Cover and Invuln saves don't mean much if you throw enough dice at a unit at a range he can not retaliate.

A great weapon against hordes for BA with less points to spare is a Whirlwind or two, as Galahad has mentioned.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I'll try to work on Elites later today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i recently decided i want a lot of assault cannons in my re-made BA army, i was just wondering if any one had any advice against it? are they useful or just random AA thrown in?

im thinking
1 LS tornado
1 BAAL predator
1 dread w/ assault cannon.
possibly a termy w/ assault cannon i havent decided yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i recently decided i want a lot of assault cannons in my re-made BA army, i was just wondering if any one had any advice against it? are they useful or just random AA thrown in?

im thinking
1 LS tornado
1 BAAL predator
1 dread w/ assault cannon.
possibly a termy w/ assault cannon i havent decided yet.
The Baal Predator is an awesome addition to any BA army. The twin linked assault cannons will destroy most infantry quickly and efficiently.

The LS Tornado is also a nice unit. Only problem is that BA pay more for this then other Sm army's, but we can take assault bikes with HB or MM for cheaper. If you really like landspeeders and insist on assault cannons then this would work.

A dread is a preference vehicle. I personally enjoy using them and get a lot of use out of mine. Other people don't like dreads because they are slow and draw a lot of fire. If you bring a dread make sure to give it extra armor, and make sure it is not your only vehicle.

I have never been a fan of terminators and prefer to spend the points on VAS or more troop options. They are fire magnets also, and enough shots will even destroy tactical dreadnaught armor.

Assault Cannons are AWESOME thought, but as BA army's are already good on anti-infantry because of all the CC units, I think that a Baal Predator and a Tornado would be enough support. You don't want to forget heavy weapons for anti armor.

Goodluck

Alias

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
If you want to pack a lot of assault cannons into your list, it can be done even with a Blood Angel army. I've recently been running a list with three (that's right, count 'em three) Baal Predators. If one was to throw in some Land Speeder Tornadoes and possibly Dreadnoughts as well, you could have an army that's rather full of assault cannon goodness and is fairly effective at the same time.

Keep in mind though that Attack Bikes with multi-meltas are generally better choices than Land Speeders and that Dreadnoughts are fairly expensive points wise while being slow and fairly soft in the armor department. You may have more luck just fielding a more traditional BA army without maxing out on assault cannons.

Either way, good luck,

Katie D

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
A couple of fairly random points.

Firstly, the rumours of fifth edition suggest that escalation will be removed, which will make life a little easier for combat squads - though only a little. One of the three set ups starts with all but two troops choices and one HQ in reserve, so everything but those units would end up getting their squads glued together anyway.

Tactical squads are a bit of a problem, as Galahad has already mentioned. It's pretty difficult to take a tactical squad that works either as two 5 man squads or one 10 man squad, depending on the scenario. Weapon set ups, transport options and so on are hard to figure out.

My solution would be to not take tactical squads. You have the option of assault squads as troops, which are better at assaulting and/or beating up tanks close up than tactical squads. You also have the excellent ability to divide your devastator squads in half and get great crossing arcs of fire.

Basically there's no way that the 5 man squads you get from taking a couple of tactical squads could ever give you the utility you would get from taking a devastator squad and an assault squad instead. You get more heavy weapons and more attacks in CC for a very similar cost, especially since you don't have to pay out for a transport - and weep if it gets destroyed, leaving your guys entangled somewhere.

A 5 man tactical or assault squad in a drop pod is quite an interesting option if you want to have something other than devastators and jump pack troops. It can mess up your opponent quite a bit, or it can go horribly wrong. A furioso dread can do good things if dropped in as well.

Playing BA I would tend to go for all infantry, or near all infantry. Baal predators are pretty good at killing infantry but your CC troops should be pretty good at that anyway. You have a load of missile launchers to shoot at tanks. I've never really rated Baal predators because of their short range and poor side armour, though occasionally they are effective. The multi-melta attack bikes do look like a bit too good a deal to ignore.

An all infantry force puts a lot of guys on the table and gives you a large death company. Your opponent's anti-meq weapons will be stretched while his AT will be under-employed. By throwing many 5 man squads of jump pack guys at him you are always able to counter-charge if one of your units gets bogged down or killed. A Baal pred can't do anything to help if one of your squads is in CC, but an assault squad can do loads.

Finally I would emphase, as Galahad says, that blood angels are not an all out assault army. Effective BA forces work by combining a savage rush with heavy firepower that prevents your opponent from moving around as he wants (he has to take cover) and kills units that are going to cause problems for your assault guys.

As for dealing with the unit of 30 orks, send in all your assault guys together, including the death company. Put a flamer in every assault squad, which will kill tons of orks, then have everyone charge. It would be fairly likely that you could kill the whole squad in one turn, or at least all the ones in the kill zone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
idk why, but i have a thing for the look of the assault cannon, for sure im doing the baal, and LS, and im pretty sure a venerable dread, but i think i will go with the VAS for elites...power weapons >.<

1 - 20 of 51 Posts