Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Speaking to fellow gamer Spitfire6x I am slightly unclear on a few things regarding Blood Angels

1) Can I have 1 squad of 5 Space Marine Veterans or do my Death Company count as them?

2) Do I have to conform the the standard company squad make up (1st to 7th Squad Tactical etc etc)

3) Can I just have Lemarts as my HQ member attached to Death Company?

Thanks for your help on this

Darth:eek:k:

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
1) Yes. Veteran Assault Squads can be used.

2) I'm not quite sure on the question, but pretty much every one of the BA companies are assault except for the scouts.

3)Yes. You can.

-Dirge

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not veteran assault squads - veterans as in normal space marines with veteran status.

I meant the make up of the company itself

1st to 7th squad being tactical troops
8th - 9th being assault troops
10th being devastators

thanks

Darth

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
1. As Dirge said, you can take Veteran Assault Squads that are five-strong. Death Company aren't necessarily Veterans... they're just having some emotional problems that need to be sorted out with a chainsword. Blood Angels do not have access to conventional Veteran squads, if you look at the Codex.

2. The first through sixth squads of a Codex Battle Company are Tactical Squads, not the first through seventh. If you plan to have a Battle Company formation for Apocalypse, then you'll need to follow those guidelines. The Blood Angels train the majority of their Tactical Squads in the areas normally reserved for Assault Squads, for what that's worth, and Blood Angels Tactical Squads, in the fluff, at any rate, fight as much with bolt pistol and chainsword as they do with boltguns. The Blood Angels maintain the Codex formations though-- a Battle Company consists of six Tactical Squads, two Assault Squads, two Devastator Squads, a command squad, and a chaplain.

3. Again, unless you're fielding a specific formation that requires a particular kind of HQ unit, such as the Battle Company (which requires a Commander), Lemartes or a regular Chaplain can be your army's leader and sole HQ unit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
death company are 1 free for every squad, so if you take 3 tactical squad choices you get 3 death company for free

i understand this question because i have the old codex, if you are going to theme your army then try to conform to one of the companys, but if you just want a army then chose what you want.

as for lemartes, i say go for it and grab a second chaplain as well to lead your veterans, i recomend this combo so you have some punch with the veterans

chaplain: jump pack, plasma pistol, powerfist 160

·
Registered
171 Posts
so what would I have in a command squad
here is how i have organised my command squad for my dante:

honour guard(125)
company champion
tech priest(plasma pistol, power weapon, melta bombs)
sanguinary priest(power weapon, plasma pistol, melta bombs)
veteran #1(plasma gun, power weapon, melta bombs)
veteran #2(melta gun, power weapon, melta bombs)
325 points total
they all have jump packs aswell

they are setup this way to maximise their tactical/combat effectiveness in almost any scenario.

·
Registered
171 Posts
you only get veteran assault, but you can remove the jump packs fot them to count as infantry and give them an transport

a five man squad with, three with combi weapons and two with special weapons will cost between 190 to 210 depending on weapons and an additional 25 so they all have meltabombs

·
Registered
86 Posts
who are the veterans because the son of horus said you cannot have conventional vets
In this case, the squad members who have not been upgraded to something else (techmarine,sang priest, etc) are considered veterans. This is true with both the Veteran Assault Squad and the Honour Guard. The reason for this is simple. Look in your codex. On the Army list area for each of those squads it says "Veteran", whereas the listing for tac and regualr assault squads says "space marine".

As for the original questions:

1. No, you can't buy upgrades for your squads to make them veterans, give them term honours, etc. The Vet Serg is included in the cost of the squad, and his profile is listed.

2. As stated earlier, if you are using the Apoc Battle Company formation, you must adhere to the 6 tac, 2 assault, 2 dev squad listing. However, if you're building a company for anything else, do it however you want.

3. In above mention Apoc situation, you can not use Lemartes to lead the Battle Company. You must use a commander. However, in smaller games, yes you can just take Lemartes as your HQ. He can then be attached to another squad (in this case the Death Co) just like normal.

*On a side note, you may want to field Lemartes and just keep him near your Death Co. Remember, he only has to be within 6" to keep them under control. I like to keep them seperate until just before they charge, that way he can give the Death Co the LoH bonus, but if the Death Co gets shot up or charged, he can be redirected elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts