Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, figured I'd give a bit of a more traditional/fluffy SM kind of thing with my BA this time around. I have often scorned some of the Formations that GW comes out with that cater to those with huge collections or even larger wallets (and amounts of time), and gotta say when I first opened up the 7th ed. Codex to find the Battle Company Formation in there I was a little saddened by the 'cut and paste' nature it was offered up in. I mean, yeah we need our Tactical marines, but now you wave 6 units of them in our face just to get ObSec and the Red Thirst? Fffuuuuu....wait a second. I totally have six five man squads of Tactical marines and there's no restrictions on the Formation. Building this list has made me look at my collection of models very differently, even maybe given me a goal for collecting. One thing that I've noticed is that my painstakingly converted Captain with Power Sword and Axe is pretty much invalidated by Valour's Edge coming in at 10 points less. Ah well...he's a showpiece in the army and will likely get relegated to use in an exceptionally fluffy Vanguard squad one day far down the line. I enjoy converting more than painting anyway.....only problem is that the more things I make up the more I have to paint! :angry:

Anyway, here's the list. In an effort to keep it playable in smaller games I've made this out for 2k, but it can easily spiral out from there with the addition of more Transports and the purchase of ~30/40 more models to bulk out to 10 man squads.

Captain - Valour's Edge, Jump Pack, Artificer Armour, Digital Weapons

Chaplain - Jump Pack

Command Squad - Champion, Novitiate, 3x Vets w. 3x Plasma Guns, Jump Packs

5 man Death Company - Power Fist, Jump Packs

Dreadnought - 2x Twin Linked Autocannons

Furioso Dreadnought - Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Power Fist, Drop Pod

5 man Tactical squad - Melta Gun, Rhino

5 man Tactical Squad - Lascannon

5 man Assault squad - 2x Flamers

5 man Assault squad - 2x Melta Guns

5 man Devastator squad - 4x Plasma Cannons

5 man Devastator squad - 4x Flakk Missile Launchers

2k bang on. There's a lot of wargear that can move around in this list, but I would absolutely love to hear someone else's ideas on it. I get so damn caught up in what I think is the 'best' way to play a unit that I sometimes can't think of new uses or kit ideas. What's even more fun though is that this rough layout of models can be used as a swanky starting ground to a 4k list of almost every single BA model I own (barring some unique characters and a box kit or two that I would need to not proxy a few models). Without further adieu, my collection of Blood Angels:

Blood Angel Battle Company (I'm thinking of making up my own brew for who took over the 3rd Company after Tycho died)

Captain - Valour's Edge, the Angel's Wing, Artificer Armour, Digital Weapons

Chaplain - Jump Pack

Command Squad - Champion, Novitiate, 3x Vets w. 2x Plasma Pistols each, Jump Packs

10 man Death Company - 2x Power Fists, Jump Packs

Dreadnought - 2x Twin Linked Autocannons

5 man Tactical squad - Melta Gun, Razorback

10 man Assault squad - 2x Flamers, 2x Hand Flamers on Sergeant

10 man Assault squad - 2x Melta Guns, Power Fist, Drop Pod

5 man Devastator squad - 4x Plasma Cannons

5x man Devastator squad - 4x Missile Launchers

Baal Strike Force

Librarian - Mastery Level 2, Force Sword, Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest - Lightning Claw, Jump Pack

5 man Sanguinary Guard - 3x Swords, Axe, Power Fist, Chapter Banner

5 man Scout squad - Sniper Rifles, Camo Cloaks

5 man Scout squad - Bolt Pistols, Combat Blades

Baal Predator - Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Pintle Stormbolter

Stormraven Gunship - Twin Linked Lascannons and Multi Melta

Stormraven Gunship - Twin Linked Lascannons and Multi Melta

Commander Dante

The only problem is she comes out at 3,895. I could rip up some wargear filler no problem but that's easy. Anyone out there willing to comment on how to use those points at this level?

Thanks for reading, Heresy :drinks:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Auspex's to downgrade cover saves, ML on the Drop pods to just add pie plates to the mix. I see a few sarges without combi weapons as well. Also upgrade the chaplain to Astorath. That would be quite the sight to see on the table though...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like Auspex's but by the time I'm in range to use them I'd likely be charging anyway, no? 12" isn't of much use for any of my Heavy Weapons, though I guess I could see it coming into play with the Melta Guns potentially.

Pie plates on the Pods are super fun. Typically the last thing I look to for upgrades because of the sheer number of times I've ended up with those pies in my own face, but still very useful.

Astorath I would love to use but the Battle Company is a Formation and doesn't state that you can alter the 'Chaplain' selection to an 'Astorath' selection. There's caveats in other BA Formations that allow the use of unique characters, since there isn't one here I'm assuming it's not allowed. I would love to be wrong about that though!!

I would -love- to get this on the table. The only things I don't own include the second Scout squad (I only have 5 snipers) and the Plasma Cannons. I'd have to make up some Honour Guard guys and a new Captain but I have those models in pieces, lying in wait for the right inspiration...which might be this list :grin: Only things I haven't used are my TDA Libby, Land Raider, and LC equipped Terminators.

Thanks for the comment! Combi-Meltas on the Tactical sergeants in Rhinos and DWMLs on the DPs adds a solid 75 points to the list.

EDIT: just realized those should have been Razorbacks in the 4k list. Edited OP. Also, what do you think of the Scout squads? I don't own the close combat one, I could go full snipers. I intend to one day have 10 man squads of both, but don't care what comes first if it means cool list :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always thought that Scouts should be stealthy and quiet and bolters never fit that bill for me. I played against a guy with a BA allied detachment that was just a Priest with a CC Scout squad in a Stormraven, and when they charged it was hilarious. Cheap as fuck with a fair amount of attacks and those Priest, Codex, and Detachment bonuses make for fun times.

That being said, I may just get a second box of snipers so that I have that 10 man squad out of the way. I do like them more as well...

All of these suggestions have added 90 points to the list. Nice!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alot of bodies and fire power.
That it is! Though I've tended more towards bodies on the field recently over lots of tanks in pretty much all my BA lists and benefited from it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts