Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to think of ways to play my BA without using my twin Furioso Dreadnoughts. I love them, but variety is nice too. The only problem is that I somehow feel insecure about my lists when I'm not playing them, those frag cannons do great things for me. I do have 20 or so Death Company models though, so maybe if I fill my Elites choices with black armoured madmen and golden nipply bastards I might not miss my Dreadnoughts too much. A first pass at the list:

HQ

Chaplain - Valour's Edge, digital weapons, jump pack

Priest - lightning claw, melta bombs, jump pack

Elites

10x Death Company - 2x power fists, 10x pistols, 8x chainswords, jump packs

5x Death Company - power fist, 5x bolters, Drop Pod

5x Sanguinary Guard - 3x swords, axe, power fist, banner

Troops

10x Tactical marines - heavy flamer, meltagun, Rhino

Fast Attack

10x Assault marines - 2x meltaguns, power fist, Drop Pod

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon, lascannon sponsons, overcharged engines

Lord of War

Dante

It's a pretty classic match-up of Sanguinary Guard, a Priest, and Dante for a wrecking ball of goodness. The jump Death Company will move screening them, loving that AP2 sword on the Chappy. Digital Weapons in case of 1's and high Toughness. Drop Pod DC potentially cause havoc in my opponent's target priority, if they survive they punch whatever they're close to (heck, might even be an Objective...they're like that nowadays) and the Assault squad guns for armour with those meltas; which two pods come in first depends on my opponent's army and deployment. Meat shield for the power fist to survive plus I have the unit painted. Rhinos flat out to catch up with Pods and support there while the Predator targets Transports or Walkers.

Would love to hear some input on the list, I've got a lot of models I can sub in though only the three Drop Pods. Only stipulation is I don't want to use my Furioso Dreadnoughts. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I've been trying to think of ways to play my BA without using my twin Furioso Dreadnoughts. Fascinating.
I love them, but variety is nice too. Agreed.
The only problem is that I somehow feel insecure about my lists when I'm not playing them, those frag cannons do great things for me. I do have 20 or so Death Company models though, so maybe if I fill my Elites choices with black armoured madmen and golden nipply bastards I might not miss my Dreadnoughts too much. I completely appreciate where you're coming from on this.

A first pass at the list:

HQ

What is Valour' Edge? I'm assuming it's a BA relic? In any instance, a Chappy with Digital Weapons and Jump Pack is a favorite of mine. Solid.

Priest - lightning claw, melta bombs, jump pack Just one Lightning Claw?

Elites

10x Death Company - 2x power fists, 10x pistols, 8x chainswords, jump packs Interesting. Are the two Power Fists on separate DC or one marine?

Good for getting in the grill of your opponent. I'm assuming my above comment about the Power Fists means that two separate marines are running them after reading this entry.

Why not Power Weapons? It's a bit cheaper and keeps you from going last. Seems like there are a lot of Power Fists already.

5x Sanguinary Guard - 3x swords, axe, power fist, banner
Nice mix, I like this.

Troops

Ok, I don't get either one of these unit and here's why. Tactical Marines, regardless of which Codex we are using, aren't close combat squads and both entries here look like a CC unit. I can appreciate the DC having tons of PF for cracking armour and monster hunting, but, these two Tacticals should be geared towards Heavy Bolter and Plasmagun combos, which work to the advantage of getting range on units and hopefully picking more than a few bodies off. I get that the HF is a template that will catch some guys under it and that the MG will punch a hole in someone, but, your opponents will already be in charge range for these to be useful.

Fast Attack

This looks like a sweet unit for your DC in Pods to flank.

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon, lascannon sponsons
I like this combo as it addresses Infantry and Armour.

Lord of War

Dante
I don't know this guy's stat line nor abilities, but, I'm willing to bet that they're awesome.

It's a pretty classic match-up of Sanguinary Guard, a Priest, and Dante for a wrecking ball of goodness. The jump Death Company will move screening them, loving that AP2 sword on the Chappy.
Is that what Valour's Edge is? Cool!
Digital Weapons in case of 1's and high Toughness. Drop Pod DC potentially cause havoc in my opponent's target priority, if they survive they punch whatever they're close to (heck, might even be an Objective...they're like that nowadays) and the Assault squad guns for armour with those meltas; which two pods come in first depends on my opponent's army and deployment. Meat shield for the power fist to survive plus I have the unit painted. Rhinos flat out to catch up with Pods and support there while the Predator targets Transports or Walkers.

Would love to hear some input on the list, I've got a lot of models I can sub in though only the three Drop Pods. Only stipulation is I don't want to use my Furioso Dreadnoughts. Thanks for reading!
I like this list, I really do. My only angst concern the Tactical Squads. I think you'll get more mileage from a Heavy Bolter & Plasmagun combo. Maybe even add a Stormbolter to the Sergeant.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments buddy! Let's start at the top here...though I'll need to go get a beer first.

Nice. OK.

What is Valour' Edge? I'm assuming it's a BA relic?
It is! As you surmised later, it's an AP2 power sword.

Just one Lightning Claw?
Priests actually have to pay an extra point to take a bolt pistol, which irks the crap outta me. Math-wise a lone LC out preforms a power sword thanks to shred so that's why he's got just the one. Preserves that glorious WS6 I4/5 action without burning a point. On occasion I play a Priest with Valour's Edge and pay the point, but I've been liking it more on the Chappy since I always play DC but I only sometimes play SG (DC simply being the more cost-effective unit in my eyes).

Are the two Power Fists on separate DC or one marine?
Yep!

Why not Power Weapons? It's a bit cheaper and keeps you from going last. Seems like there are a lot of Power Fists already.
Those fists are just so important most of the time that I gladly pay the extra 20 points. Instant Death on T4 and S9 on the charge helps a lot in my games even striking at I1, though I do see your point and will play test it for sure. My other modeled option is power axes for the Drop Pod DC since my lone power sword DC member is turning into a Chaplain with Valour's Edge (no more proxy for that guy!).

Ok, I don't get either one of these unit and here's why. Tactical Marines, regardless of which Codex we are using, aren't close combat squads and both entries here look like a CC unit. I can appreciate the DC having tons of PF for cracking armour and monster hunting, but, these two Tacticals should be geared towards Heavy Bolter and Plasmagun combos, which work to the advantage of getting range on units and hopefully picking more than a few bodies off. I get that the HF is a template that will catch some guys under it and that the MG will punch a hole in someone, but, your opponents will already be in charge range for these to be useful.
I could get the points for that change (and 10 extra) by swapping the power fists down to power weapons, so I will try it out when I try out the DC swap. I have tried that option before, but there have been lots of times that my squad needs to be on the move and potentially charging whittled down enemy units. Given that my whole army is +1 Strength and +1 Initiative on the charge it usually works out in my favour or at least has them die the way every Blood Angel should. Plus I worked really hard on the heavy flamer conversions, and they cook everything to such a nice char :grin:

I don't know this guy's stat line nor abilities, but, I'm willing to bet that they're awesome.
Dante is re-becoming my favourite. His move to LoW lets me support my wrecking ball assault units with the right Characters via dual HQs. His stat line...delicious. With the Priest in the unit and on the charge (he has Hit & Run, so pretty much gunna get that charge somehow) he's WS7/S7/I7 with 6 attacks at AP2. WS7/S6/I6/A5 otherwise.

I stripped and rebuilt the model I got as a kid and have given him a new style SG jump pack, just haven't had the time to put toward sculpting some kind of iconography for the plain looking pack. I'm thinking three little blood drops on the top and some kind of wing thing on the big thruster but it will have to wait until after I move.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had a thought of dropping the Sanguinary Guard for a 10x man Assault squad kitted with two flamers and a gunslinger hand flamer sergeant. Priest rolls with them for a stronger assault unit, Dante rolls with the Death Company for more meat shield and to help cover their weakness: 2+ saves weilding S8 weaponry. Also toying with swapping the auto/las Predator for a Baal Predator because higher rates of fire tend to help me more than high S/AP weapons, but I could always toss between them if I know who I'm facing ahead of time and the game is casual. The Predator is more all-comers but I like the Baal more (plus: painted model).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Just had a thought of dropping the Sanguinary Guard for a 10x man Assault squad kitted with two flamers and a gunslinger hand flamer sergeant. Priest rolls with them for a stronger assault unit, Dante rolls with the Death Company for more meat shield and to help cover their weakness: 2+ saves weilding S8 weaponry. Also toying with swapping the auto/las Predator for a Baal Predator because higher rates of fire tend to help me more than high S/AP weapons, but I could always toss between them if I know who I'm facing ahead of time and the game is casual. The Predator is more all-comers but I like the Baal more (plus: painted model).
Those are all interesting options, I like them. I totally get where you're coming from on the Predator choices, seems like one always outweighs the other though. The AutoLas is a good one for punching holes into enemy armour. I think I would pass over Mr. Baal for Mr. AutoLas as you have the grinding of infantry covered already.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It irks me that an auto/las Predator with overcharged engines is 20 points less than a Baal Predator with assault cannon and heavy bolters....even without the points difference it really is what this list needs over infantry shredding. Lets me keep the power fists in the Pod DC as well, which I like. I think until I get my Sanguinary Guard painted I'm going to use the ten man Assault squad instead. They're 200 points each, and that ten man DC is only 80 points more. 80 points for more than double the attacks (vs. SG) on the charge and natural FnP at the cost of 2+ saves and fancier weapons, not to mention more meatshield for Dante (since he won't have FnP anymore without the Priest) and a better use of Hit and Run considering the number of buffs the DC get on the charge. This is the first time I've ever been excited about, or even considered, using a 600 (635 specifically) point unit. Shiver me tits it's almost worthy of being calling a Death Star.

Oh, and ASM with a Priest give a near-DC experience. If only I could sneak in a Libby gunning for Unleash Rage...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really want a Knight Crusader. It's next on the buy list, though it might be some time away from happening. The lists I've been toying with to support it have looked pretty solid.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I caved today and played a 2k match with my twin Fragiosos, mostly because I don't have all the bolter DC assembled yet. My buddy also specifically stated that I shouldn't 'go easy' on him and those frag cannons go a long way for my army. This is what I ended up going with:

HQ

Priest - lightning claw, jump pack

Elites

10x Death Company - 2x power fists, 10x pistols, 8x chainswords, jump packs

Furioso - frag cannon, power fist with heavy flamer, Drop Pod

Furioso - frag cannon, power fist with heavy flamer, Drop Pod

Troops

Fast Attack

10x Assault marines - 2x flamers, 2x hand flamers and melta bombs on sergeant

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon, lascannon sponsons

Lord of War

Dante

My opponent played Imperial Fists and Grey Knights, off the top of my head it was something like this:

Imperial Fist:

Chapter Master - terminator armour

Librarian - terminator armour, ML2

5x man Scout squad - sniper rifles, heavy bolter, cloaks

5x man Tactical squad - plasma cannon, Rhino (was left empty for an Objective grab)

5x man Sternguard squad

6x man Devastator squad - 4x lascannons

Drop Pod

Grey Knights:

Draigo

Librarian - ML3

5x man Terminator squad - bunch of stuff

5x man Terminator squad - bunch of stuff

5x man Purifier squad (in the IF Pod)

Dreadknight - shooty options not the flamer, whatever gives it Jump

Fortification:

ADL w. quad gun

We played Big Guns Never Tire and rolled off for 3 Objectives. I ended up winning the game 14-0 in T5 when the game didn't go on, holding all three Objectives and having Linebreaker, First Blood, and Warlord, as well as killing both his Heavy Support options. My only regret is not tabling him when I had the chance at the beginning of T5 :biggrin:

Seriously though, it was a pretty hectic list and match. There are a few more people that want to see how they do against my Blood Angels now, next up will be Necrons and Tyranids in the coming weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts