Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my first tutorial, which will probably be one of many; this one is about how to make good looking blood and gore with no fancy-shmancy products!

Enjoy!

You will need:

• Red paints
  • PVA glue (or an alternative glue that dries clear)
  • toothpick (or other spreading object)
  • something to put glue on (cardboard in this)

1. Gather your things.

2. Paint the area you want the blood on with your red. You may want to start with a dark colour and mix it with a light one to give it a bit of detail.

Result: (The paint looks shiny because it is not dry yet. Only apply glue when it is dry)

3. Squirt a glob of glue next to the blood, or into a tile or whatever you can use to put it in. Start to spread the glue over all of the blood.

Result:

4. All done! Easy wasn't it?

Some pictures of it on a model:

Alternative for gore:

Simply mix the PVA glue and the red paint together, it will start to get very pasty. Just smear the area you want to be gory and you're done! (I recommended to mix dark reds to give it a bit of detail)

Trygon says, "Thanks for reading! Nom!" :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good tutorial! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know it sounds gross, but one of the best techniques for blood, if you want the "dried blood" look, is one I got from one of these Frenchies on coolminiornot.com.

It's using real blood.

*waits for astonished gaps and accusings of witchcraft and dark magic*

No, I don't want you to go all Emo on yourself, slitting your wrists or jugulars or whatever, but there's one location where there's no shortage of blood. Just go to your local butcher's the next time you pick up some steaks for your nutriotious man-diet, and ask for some blood.

It can be mixed with paints and inks, but beware: since the blood coalgulates very quickly, it might damage your paintbrush, so either use an old brush or be VERY VERY quick to wash it, using brush soap and lukewarm water.

I know it sounds a little bit gross, but it's really worth the effort, trust me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
buckets of blood are for making black pudding

how can you ensure that your real blood paint mixture doesn't simply chip off? I have never painted with blood but it seems like the coagulating would cause it to become slightly raised, and would it mix well with paint?

hmmm I'm intrigued, also does it produce an effect that is almost to realistic? some of the realism in models comes from the exaggeration of real world effects

1 - 6 of 6 Posts