Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens to incoming reserves in case they cannot be deployed (for example due to wall of units or impassable terrain)?

1. Do they die?
2. Do they wait for another turn?

I would opt for the first solution

In fact it's not that improbable situation - esp. in case of Vanguard Strike and Outflanking units

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
What happens to incoming reserves in case they cannot be deployed (for example due to wall of units or impassable terrain)?

1. Do they die?
2. Do they wait for another turn?

I would opt for the first solution

In fact it's not that improbable situation - esp. in case of Vanguard Strike and Outflanking units
In previous editions of the game blocked reserves have been destroyed, the rules on reserves in the rulebook simply doesn't say what happens to infantry that cannot get onto the board at all. I would imagine that an inability to arrive from reserve would destroy the unit as it has done in previous editions.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I don't see destroyed...
Even deep strikers, who are deploying in a much more risky manner, only have a one in six chance of being destroyed if they can't deploy.

Assuming normal entry from reserves, I'd say that the unit should enter ongoing reserves OR this situation would occur so rarely on a 4' x 6' table that you should just negotiate something cool with the other player.
Are you saying that you've got your entire force within an inch of the opponent's table edge? Or that impassable terrain has blocked the board edges from their being used for entry? In either circumstance, I don't think that the rules as written are being followed, and so you should look to the rules as intended.

·
Registered
192 Posts
the rules say "you must move onto the table" and "ignore the normal rules for movement"

so you could move onto impossible terrain, move through units up to 6" and deploy where you can,

there is no rule for any situation where that is impossible to do.

there is no rule support for saying said unit is destroyed. so house rule to taste. But instead of just destroying the unit, you could just allow them a roll on the deep strike table, or put them into on going reserves until next turn.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Page 124:
When a Reserves unit arrives, it must move fully onto the table from the controlling player's own table edge...
Now obviously the very last part about table edges doesn't apply to Outflank or Deepstriking.

Now in 5th edition anytime a model or unit couldn't be fully placed on the table it was destroyed. And while there is no rule saying what to do, we're basically in a situation where the models are no longer in reserves but are not on the table. This basically makes a mess of things and needs an FAQ.

If you're in a tank, of the non-skimmer variety, I'd likely go with deploying that first and Tank Shocking the enemy unit that's in the way to try and make a hole in their lines to enter through. Skimmers can just go over, but if they're tanks you can still try the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts