Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Came up in a battle last night.

For the sake of cover saves, Blast weapons are subject to the normal rules for shooting any other weapons, ie. Shooting through an enemy unit or friendly unit in an attempt to hit something else grants a 4+ cover save right? just like normal shooting? or is it determined by the position of the centre of the blast template. To my understanding that's barrage weapons rules, not blast, but my opponent would have none of that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've encountered this issue before and as I couldn't find anything in the BRB to remove the cover save infered by firing through friendly units I play as you suggest. The cover save applies.

Edit: I would also add that the way I read the exceptions for the Barrage weapons, I would say that a cover save for firing through another unit could be allowed if the a member of another unit was between the center of the blast marker and the model suffering the wound.

·
Registered
592 Posts
There is a similar situation for firing on vehicles. You could scatter with the Blast template, having the hole fall off the vehicle but the Blast Template would still be touching the model. The shot is then resolved on the facing against the hole, but with half strength, representing shrapnel.

It would take out 2 battlewagons with 1 shot with the Medusa(I think that's what it's called) easily.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is a similar situation for firing on vehicles. You could scatter with the Blast template, having the hole fall off the vehicle but the Blast Template would still be touching the model. The shot is then resolved on the facing against the hole, but with half strength, representing shrapnel.
The shot is actually not resolved on the facing agaist the hole. For blast weapons fired directly it hits the armor value facing the firer while a barrage weapon will always hit side armor(which represents top armor). 1/2 strength for non-direct hits is correct.

Page 60 of the BRB covers this.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Actually, no. Cruor has the right of it.

If the Blast scatters off the vehicle, it's from the hole. If it stays on the vehicle, it's the facing the firing unit is in.

BrB, pg 60, last paragraph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts