Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
Is That a 200CM Cannon in Your Pocket?

Or are you just glad there is an update?

Anyway before I can go any further with the detail on the center module I need to rough out the cannon mount.

An old vacuum cleaner extension tube provides the basic barrel and I'll just trim it out with a sleeve to augment the details.

A couple of more views to round out the post.

Next step, the minarets.

Reactions: Old Man78

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 ·
It's Beginning To Look a Tad Cluttered:

I may have to widen the superstructure platform.

This is not as drastic as it sounds because I've already widened the rear of the platform and extended it further aft.

An inch wider would probably make all the difference

The central Tower needs to be further back.

The two flanking towers which give the structure a portcullis-like appearance hide the Aquila

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 ·
These bas reliefs are approximately 2-3 millimeters thick and are a fair representation of the Adeptus Mechanicus Icon.

Gone are the days when I use to spend hours sculpting bas reliefs to decorate my projects.

Witness the effort I put into the pelvic block of my Warlord Titan:

I was searching through my archives for ideas on how to decorate the various chambers of this current project.

Believe it or not here's an Easter egg I put on the soles of the Warlord's feet:

More Skull-duggery

The logo that is most detailed............

The mirror is less further along:

The thickness is at this moment 1,5 MM/0.060 inch Needs to be less:

Close up reveals some fine cleanup is necessary:
http://i.imgur.com/MB7KmBS.jpg

I've got to get cracking on this Emperor model

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
I have a question and I need some advice.

I'm resurrecting my old Titan Hunter Thread because I need to learn how to do the Plasma Blaster blue glow on the plasma coils

I have the much larger Coils on the Emperor Titan's weapon and I want to do a bang up job.

What colours and What washes do I need to do a real Pro Job?

And yes; as soon as the weather wams up I'll begin painting certain areas of this monster :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #428 ·
Back to Business:

Short post today.

I finished the corner spires a day ago and glued them in place.

I cannot say what their purpose could be They are too narrow tp climb inside to the top and they are purely decorative in my estimation.

Not that the Imperium is above 'decorating' purely for it's own sake.

·
Closet Dictator
3,432 Posts
Just when I thought your attention to detail couldn't go further, you put an icon on the sole of the feet, absolutely brilliant and completely fitting. It is an absolute shame we have no longer have some sort of reputation system, this work needs to be lauded beyond words!!!

·
Closet Dictator
3,432 Posts
For glow effects have a search in the modelling and painting sub form, page 3 the is a guy called millest with a project log called "house hermetika" imperial knights, he did a great glow effect using ink over silver to get a purple glowing effect. There are several old threads lurking around in the hobby section if I recall.
Most people do plasma in the blue and white. You can do a base coat of white, wash with a dark blue at the base of the coils and work up to a light blue at the outer edges or paint the coils dark blue and build up layers of lighter blue up to pure white at the outer coils.
Air brushing obviously gets the best effect, Miniac, warhammer TV, Darren Latham miniature painting, sword n Steele, midwinter minis, titan miniatures, all on YouTube do great tutorials on plasma glow effect with and without airbrushing. Hope that is of some service to you old boy, and as always loving that work of yours!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
Just when I thought your attention to detail couldn't go further, you put an icon on the sole of the feet........
For the record; The skull Icons are on the soles of the Warlord's feet nor the Emperor Titan's.

But hey, Who knows.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #432 ·
For glow effects have a search in the modelling and painting sub form, page 3 the is a guy called millest with a project log called "house hermetika" imperial knights, he did a great glow effect using ink over silver to get a purple glowing effect. There are several old threads lurking around in the hobby section if I recall.
Most people do plasma in the blue and white. You can do a base coat of white, wash with a dark blue at the base of the coils and work up to a light blue at the outer edges or paint the coils dark blue and build up layers of lighter blue up to pure white at the outer coils.
Air brushing obviously gets the best effect, Miniac, warhammer TV, Darren Latham miniature painting, sword n Steele, midwinter minis, titan miniatures, all on YouTube do great tutorials on plasma glow effect with and without airbrushing. Hope that is of some service to you old boy, and as always loving that work of yours!
I've got some interesting Ideas but I've already (subject to change) got the look I am going for......

This is the effect I'm going for.

Now I've just got to learn how to replicate it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
Will you be air brushing or painting by hand?
I'm going to practice with hand brushing small figures just to get the hues right.

From there I will be using my airbrush especially for the large pieces such as the Titan Hunter and the Emperor's Plasma Cannon.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #435 ·
Thanks for all the replies;

I was in a playful mood yesterday and decided to spend my time making an Adeptus Mechanicus Icon for the front of the Quake Cannon housing.

After a couple of failed attempts I suddenly remembered how I used to produce them, i.e.

Mount the cut out circle and the center skull (Cast from Green Stuff) bas-relief on a sheet of styrene.

Then glue on the cogs with the appropriate sized strips of styrene. using the next size larger strip. In this case I used 0.030 X 0.100 and 0.030 X0.125 Evergreen Strip Styrene.

I then added the skull metal prosthetic to the right side of the skull and finished off with 0.025 rod for the cables and 0.100 rod for the eyepiece.

This is the smallest Icon I've made so far.

I hope when it's painted it doesn't look as crappy as it does right now.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
A Change of Pace:

It's time to readdress the Raison d'etre of this project. The second main weapon arm will be a Gatling style multiple barrel weapon.

I'll have to redesign the gun mounts on both the arm weapons as they hang too low and may interfere with the hips

It's going to be a bit refreshing to design something other than the castle superstructure for a change. I actually spent some time these past few days painting a Baneblade variant tank Plasma cannon....

Heresy!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #439 ·
Vejut 688647 11092363 null said:
Sorry to hear you need to redesign, but that gatling is definitely looking good...
Not a problem Vejut. Making it look right in my minds eye is what make this project interesting. If everything went together perfectly what a bore that would be.

My third try at this Quake Cannon seems to have hit the mark....

The muzzle brake adds a nice touch (If that is what I think it is. Those holes must be for something besides esthetics.

Any ideas what they could be? Ordnance is not my specialty.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 · (Edited)
421 - 440 of 460 Posts